FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
I'm Choking!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Computer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 1:32 pm    Post subject: I'm Choking! Reply with quote

Ok lately I've been having some issues with my choke (and my lag, but I've complained about this enough).

Specs.
800 mhz P3
300 something RAM
cable connection
64 mb Nvidia 4
OpenGL 400x800
max_fps 72.00000
ummmm........ if i forgot something just let me know.

I have I never get over 65 fps and thought that maybe lowering my max would help........ really not sure what to do here, help if you can and thanks in advance.
The Nanite
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I've seen it somewhere before but don't remember. What exactly is choke?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

65 fps -- thats f'in brill in my book

i only get around 20 fps -- but then my comp is crap
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Blown

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While playing the game you can type in

rate "7500" and move that number up and down and see how it affects choke on your computer. Just if anyone else is interested.

As for fps, I posted something that in your config you have a line that says

atinpatch "1.0" dont know exactly what it does but if you set it to 0 you may gain some fps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Computer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blown has fixed my choke problem so no need for more suggestion, again I thank you.

choke is kind of what it sounds like. Your machine is choking on the information if I remember correctly.

my fps now remains around 60 as it always has, but now my choke never goes past 10. (in Mr. Burns voice) excellent! !
cobra
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

set your video options to software instead of openGL you will see more clear.
I always played like this but a couple of weeks ago Bada Bing told me he changed his one from openGL to software and saw more clear.
I changed mine to openGL to see the difference and it's spectaculer, in software the images are much britter.

So for those one who still play on openGL change it to software.
Blown

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most ppl will run software and d3d so they can see underwater which I dont like. That is an unfair advantage like seeing thru walls IMO. Software mode looks like arse on my computer compared to opengl so I think it really depends on how good of a vid card you have.
PondScum007

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow 20fps bobbins and 200-300 ping.... you are pretty impressive a player for playing on that kind of stuff! mad props man, esp making it so far in tayconc...thatd be damn hard for me!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blown65 wrote:
Most ppl will run software and d3d so they can see underwater which I dont like. That is an unfair advantage like seeing thru walls IMO. Software mode looks like arse on my computer compared to opengl so I think it really depends on how good of a vid card you have.

I did enjoy the ability to see in the water that software mode provided, however my graphic look so much better in OpenGL that I don't think I would want to switch back.

And also when I ran in software mode I could never get over 30 fps, but when I switched to OpenGL KAZAM! it jumped up to 60......
ToRaK

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Software or D3D mode really blows. Try not to be super lame with the "power" to see underwater. (I thought only D3D did this but who knows.) It's unfair to us Open_gl'ers but hey then again we could switch too.

This goes out to those lovely underwater snipers...anything else I can almost understand.
Snaggletooth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run OpenGL at 1024x768 because it's the most stable of the three options for me. I end up getting that really bad downtime between moving my mouse and when it responds on the screen with Direct3D. Plus I like not being able to see through the water...adds a bit of challenge.
Computer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snaggletooth wrote:
...adds a bit of challenge.

You saying we here aren't good enough to give you a challenge?

Bah bring it bouncy medic boy
bobins

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PondScum007 wrote:
wow 20fps bobbins and 200-300 ping.... you are pretty impressive a player for playing on that kind of stuff! mad props man, esp making it so far in tayconc...thatd be damn hard for me!

thx man -- i get it like that when my system is running at its best -- recently my ping has been between 350-450 -- my system just seems to be getting worse and not better -- sob sob
DaKon
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone one know what the default rate is set at?

DK
Computer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3500 or something like that I think.

Someone posted a site with a lot of helpful stuff on it for helping your ping. Maybe they'lll repost it here.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: