FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
If there was a llama award id have it! :(
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LittleHelper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 2:21 pm    Post subject: If there was a llama award id have it! :( Reply with quote

I have What could possibly be the lowest skill on theville. My skill level u ask? IS (1) samn im a llama
As I walk through the alley where I see my brothers are in pain, I look at the sky and scream the lords name in vain. If we finish all our chores and u finish thine then we r gunna party like its 16-99
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
BitterBeerFace

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, pay no attention to the skill rating... if you have 50,000 frags and a 5:1 KTD ratio, your skill level will be 1. It might even be negative... I've seen mine at like -4 before, I'm 1337.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bobins

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where to you find your skill lvl -- its probably really obviouse -- but im really curiouse to see mine and i've never seen it b4
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
BitterBeerFace

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only place you can check it still is in the clan rankings... if you look for your '504' clan, it'll list the members, and one of the columns is "points"... that's the skill "rating"... it used to have a big fat bloated set of logic that'd factor the "skill" of who you fragged, and who fragged you, the "difficulty bonus" of each particular weapon used, then add in bonuses for capping and blowing up SGs, and the final number if farted out was your "skill". The system actually did ok (IMO) since to raise your "skill" you could either get a high KTD ratio, or cap alot and blow up SGs... but some people played for their stats, not for their team, so it got dropped

Since there is no longer any multiplier that kills are factored by, the more you kill and get killed, the lower your skill rating goes... a lot multiplied by zero is still zero
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Computer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand how the K could be abused for this reason.

However since when has capping or destroying SG's detracted from team play?
bobins

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rank - Name - Points - Kills - Contribution to Clan Kills - % - Deaths - Kills per Death - ID
1. -=504=- booger - 995 - 12 - 0.14% - 13 - 0.92 - 5717
2. -=504=-Arsenal - 960 - 45 - 0.51% - 29 - 1.55 - 10466
3. -=504=- Gurrg-VS- - 720 - 213 - 2.43% - 454 - 0.47 - 619
4. -=504=- JuVaNiLe - 490 - 1054 - 12.03% - 2080 - 0.51 - 55
5. -=504=-supername - 405 - 1057 - 12.07% - 898 - 1.18 - 484
6. -=504=-simpleman - 265 - 1000 - 11.42% - 1092 - 0.92 - 327
7. -=504=-bobinator - 175 - 1101 - 12.57% - 1592 - 0.69 - 17
8. -=504=-Relentless-VS- - 10 - 1575 - 17.98% - 1768 - 0.89 - 510
9. -=504=-Jason - 1 - 1463 - 16.70% - 1383 - 1.06 - 108
10. -=504=-Drowned By Your Standard - 1 - 1238 - 14.14% - 2418 - 0.51 - 31

thats strange -- the ppl in my clan with the highest number of kills n stuff are lowest -- i got 175 -- this is strange -- the more you play the less points you get -- o well -- im assuming the value 175 is my skill value from what you said bbf.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Computer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if you caught it but that number is totally useless now. The mathematics have been thrown out and you can only lose points.

Hmm wonder what the chances are of this being returned?

Prolly slim to none but maybe we could do a poll on it or something.
bobins

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Computer wrote:
I understand how the K could be abused for this reason.

However since when has capping or destroying SG's detracted from team play?

sg destroying is a good thing for your team but im assuming that if ppl just go for the flag and completely neglect the team and the needs of the team then that could be classed as bad -- but thats just what i think
Kjeldorian Royal Guard 42

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't capping and SG killing that caused the demise of stats. It was:

People running back into respawn to get healthed up every five seconds because they were afraid to die.

Snipers running into respawn at the first site of an nmy engagement.

Players hogging the flag so only they could cap.

People staying in respawn during Avanti until their "team" opened up the area.

Engineers just standing behind their SG's doing nothing but running into respawn for new packs.

There were many, many reasons for killing the stats. These are just a couple. The difference in gameplay after the death of stats was amazing. All of a sudden, everyone played for their team and not for player of the week. Games got much more tough because people were not afraid to die. The current system is perfect. Players are judged by their pure skill and personality not their ability to hide under a rock.

Last edited by Kjeldorian Royal Guard 42 on Tue Jun 25, 2002 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
BitterBeerFace

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't think there is any chance at all of the stats being returned... In the end, it's Rob's decision, and I think he made that decision a few months ago. There were alot of people who quit taking the game as "for fun, team play" and became stat whores. They'd shoot you(a teammate) away from the flag so they could grab it and get the points for capping, they'd hide out of the main battle to try and keep a really high KTD ratio, etc etc etc.

I think the points-system based stats attracted more players, but it also lead to so much conflict/controversy/other bad stuff that it wasn't worth it to keep the stats working.
Computer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well perhaps you are right, then again I try to be somewhat optimistic and think that with the large number of regulars that we have here at the Ville. Perhaps we could act responsibly enough to have it return. Maybe even with the Player of the Week (prolly less likely though).

I don't think we'd see this behavior from the regulars here, but then again I don't know everything. I just think it would be a good way of tracking my personal progress. Which the the only reason I look at stats at all. Currently I'm trying to improve certain skills, and to track them I use the stats. If the skill stat was still around it was just be a nice line in the sand to try and surpass for my own personal satisfaction, but as anyone should know I'd never play in a manor that would detract from the progress of my team.
bobins

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that they should be returned -- but then i wasent arround when ppl were going stats crazy -- but i think that were all responsible enough now to just get on with the game -- and then comparing stats or just seeing if you have improved ( i would only use it to see if i had improved -- i definately dont agree with comparing stats cos thats probably what caused all the stats mess back then in the first place ) but i dont think the award player of the week should be brought back either -- it would be good but again this could rekindle old habbits.
Thom Yorke Obliterator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: If there was a llama award id have it! :( Reply with quote

LittleHelper wrote:
I have What could possibly be the lowest skill on theville. My skill level u ask? IS (1) samn im a llama

Don't quote me on this, but I think the skill rating right now is only affected by suicides. You start at 1000 and lose points every time you frag yourself. Look at the skill rating for a Demoman who sets a lot of detpacks . . . it can go well into the negatives!
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all the recent controversy over a recent thread I don't believe that things would remain civil with the stats back. It's bad enough that people can look at K/D ratio against other players here but at least with that you don't hear any flaming. JMHO ---Steps of podium and falls on his face---

God Bless You Blue Ruler
Computer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bright Red Nipples wrote:
After all the recent controversy over a recent thread I don't believe that things would remain civil with the stats back. It's bad enough that people can look at K/D ratio against other players here but at least with that you don't hear any flaming. JMHO ---Steps of podium and falls on his face---

Actually I don't remember there ever being any flaming of anyone b/c of stats...... Well not since February when I came here. Why don't we give it a go? If it causes a problem then it can be just as easily removed right? Then again, who cares what I have to say.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: