FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
&#*$@&$!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BitterBeerFace

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 7:32 pm    Post subject: &#*$@&$! Reply with quote

I got my replacement processor today, had to update my mommyboard's BIOS, so I do that, it says "BIOS updated successfully, please restart"... so I do, and now the fans run, the drives spin, but no BIOS... almost like it's taunting me. I'm F'ed. #Cussing out

I'm now on my 3rd backup machine, and I'm not even going to try to play on this one... (P200, 128 RAM SIMMs)

Any of you know any really cool stuff you can do to get your BIOS back, or am I as F'ed as I think I am?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DaKon
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What brand of MB?

DK
BitterBeerFace

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an Intel SE440-BX-2 (circa 1999)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PondScum007

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooh yer f'd pretty well...you need a new bios or have to take it to a flashing-machinething thats industireal stength or something...id jsut get the new chip

PS this thing called a "Bios Savior" i saw back up your existing one whilst flashing, and if somehting goes wrong itll keep the old one so you can do it again...its like anohter biso you put between yours and the mobo temporarily while updating it...forget where is aw it but a google search ought to turn up some stuff on it if your interested

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats a BIOS???
Cadman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIOS stands for "Basic Input Output System". It's the way the CPU talks to the rest of the system, ie ram, video, keyboard, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, without the BIOS, you're F'ed. And I'm without the BIOS, so I'm F'ed.

Think of the BIOS as a tiny, rudimentary Operating System. Computers operate as numerous layers that stack on top of each other... The BIOS is the "lowest" layer that you can interface with...

Yeah, I needed to get new stuff anyway, so since I no longer have any choice, I'll be doing it soon.
KopiKat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, if ur bios wont load lets do a few checks. Did you press "delete" when ur computer starts up? Did you put a pass word on your bios that would prevent u from accessing it? Did you change something in your bios that would prevent u from accessing it? Have u recently added a program to your hard drive that may have indirectly or directly prevented u from accessing it? If the answer is no, then there may be a few problems. Some possible explanations are: There is a bad connection between ur proc and the motherboard, The motherboard is incompatable with ur proc, your motherboard may be SOL, your proc may be SOL, you may have a SERIOUS hard drive problem, you may need to clean your system pysically. I would suggest cleaning it first, and if that dont work, then do what you think is neccessary to fix the problem(this may mean getting a new Hard Drive/Processor/Motherboard.) Try this, put the "old" processor in the system. If it runs the bios, you have an incompatable processor. If it still dont run the bios, put in a new Hard Drive, and if it runs then, u got a Hard Drive problem. If its neither a Hard Drive problem or a Processor problem, it may be a Motherboard problem. And, if all else fails, you may have a OS(Operating System) problem and u may need to reinstall At any rate, this is my *suggestions* Please note that I am not liable for any information that u see here and it may or may not be correct(this is the internet after all ) Ok thats what I got. Hope it helps.

-KK

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you should throw the whole thing in off a tall building. then you'll know it doesn't work and wont have to wonder what to do!
(+)ASSASSIN(+)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you flashed the BIOS didnt it prompt you to back up the existing copy?????? If not my advice would be next time make a backup on a floppy first so that you have it.
The Nanite
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to forget you are tech support for a second and not rag on you... Pull the jumper, unplug the MB, and unplug the pc...let sit over night. It should revert back to the original BIOS.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats your OS and what version of Bios update did you run?? and are you sure its a BX-2 and not a regular BX??

EDIT/ you may or may not have been here but here is a link to what they say is that boards original production BIOS so maybe you can try this.

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Detail_Desc.asp?ProductID=208&DwnldID=4305

Hope that helps.

p.s. if its not you cant hold me responsible lol
BitterBeerFace

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm sure it's a BX-2, and unless intel gives out the wrong BIOS updates on their site, I got the right BIOS update. I even checked the rather long BIOS version number, and it was appropriate.

I never got a prompt to revert back to the old BIOS, it was "successfully updated"

I tried both my new processor, and the old one that was working fine 20 minutes before I updated it, same symptoms.

I've now got it benched up on the surgery table, so I'll clean it out really well, make sure everything is snuggly in the appropriate sockets/slots, yadda yadda yadda.

So since I'm gonna be building a new system, any of you other geeks have advice on nice mommyboards to put a P4 533FSB into? I'm leaning toward that
Twisted29

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also physically reset your bios. Just look up your chip on-line and jump the proper pins. Should erase all changes since factory production.

I'm really quite Non-Twisted... (but don't tell anybody!)

Long live the Ville!!!!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: