FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Voice comm probs... help ?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
[WVR]MREBoy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 12:52 am    Post subject: Voice comm probs... help ? Reply with quote

ok, here's to hoping the collective knowledge stored in here can fix my problem, 'cause I can't seem to fix it on my own #Cussing out

One sentence summary: when I use voice comm, I sound like CRAP to other people.

"crap" can be more accurately defined as "i sound like I am underwater, muffled, with a nasty echo". And what irks me, is that I sound absolutely great whenever I run the voice tweak app.

ok, details... I am using a SB Live! 5.1 X-Gamer card (SB model 0060) in my Athlon 1.2ghz based machine (Asus A7V motherboard) running Windows 98SE. I can record sounds in Windows just fine, I can play MP3s/movies/.wavs/whatever just fine. I'm using a pair of headphones with an attached mic (I paid US$30 for these things, I don't think they are bad). Whatever it is, I don't think its connection related, as I still sound like a carp even if I start up a LAN game on my own machine (FYI I am on a cablemodem, i usually get pings in the 75-125 range to all the 'Ville servers). BTW I check how I sound by doing voice_loopback 1 when in-game.

Originally, the drivers for my card were dated sometime around 8/2000, but after lurking in some newsgroups run by Creative, I managed to track down a driver set dated 3/18/2002. Updating to that did nada for this problem. If it matters, I do not have installed any of the extra crap software that came with the card, just the basic Windows drivers.

In the Device Manager, I have 2 items under Sound, Video and Game controllers, and they are "Creative Game port" and "Creative SB Live! series". The sound card has a whole freakin' IRQ to itself (IRQ 5), so I don't think thats the problem either. And just to be thourough, my video card is a LeadTek branded GeForce 3 Ti 500

So, if any of you ppl out there have any ideas/suggestions for fixing this, I'd love to read them, 'cause I wanna be a 1337 voice spammer like Brujah.

MRE

___
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
SoDum

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back the heck up.

Really it just sounds like you are too close to your mic: back when i first started using my voice com people told me i echoed and sounded like i was underwater. I backed up some and they usually have no problems anymore...

If that isn't it i can't help you.

Stillness of Body, Focus of thought, oneness of spirit. These are the virtues of a concer.

The only man to boycott happiness!
PondScum007

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm in XP use i use +voice_dsound 1 in the hl shortcut cmd line to not sound like im under water...im not sure if that would help in 98...give it a try...also mic-mouth distance does play a part as jr said, and the echo is probbably from the loopback (mine turns itself on alot so i get yelled at for soudnlin like im in a cave) ...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: