FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Computer Speaks RE: TV 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Computer

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 6:32 pm    Post subject: Computer Speaks RE: TV 2 Reply with quote

Well I'm not sure that this will even be taken into consideration, I imagine that many of the higher ups here will not share my point of view on this but I believe that I make some very good points, and if I am so luck perhaps this could be.

Here is what I was thinking.........

Here at the Ville we offer (almost) every aspect of Team Fortress Classic. Right now we have two servers running conventional TFC, one running NEO-TF, one with training maps, one private server available to all of us regulars here. But still there is one thing missing.

Here at the Ville we also play host to a very vast community of people who all have their own perspective on what this game means to them. All of us are here to play for fun, but some of us (not me however) decide that we would like to compete, outside of just the public arena and challenge other groups to stiff competition where the best of the best play against one another using slightly modified rules.

Well since the return of TV 2 I have thought about this long and truely believe that I have come to this conclusion keeping in mind the best interests of the Ville itself.

What we want here is to keep a thriving community of players, who aren't llamas and who plan on sticking around the game for a while. I assume that we would also like to attract people of high skill level because for one, to be that good you have to play alot, hence more people here. And if you really are that good, (w/o cheating of course) one could assuem that you are also, NOT a llama.

Well after taking these things into consideration I propose that we change the rotation on TV 2 to CTF league maps. For one thing, these would be maps that people dont' normally get to play on, there by pleasing all the people that would like to see more custom maps. Also this would please those people here that choose to play in competing clans giving them the opportunity to not only practice these maps but also play on them with the people they love to play with. It shouldn't be hard to fill the server seeing as how many people already have these maps out of necessity, especially those of us who as of lately have decided to play on the TDA servers or wherever.

The maps themselves and the rule sets for teams to play in a TPF style consitent with the beliefs of the people here at the Ville. Perhaps it isn't exactly what your used to, but after giving it a go and hearing me out consider how these slight alterations can set your team up in a way that almost forces you go play as a team, and isn't that what we all want?

Well there is my little rant, not quite like I planned it today at work, but it's sort of close. I don't imagine this will be given any thought, but it was worth a try. Again I wouldn't have bothered posting if I didn't think it would be good for the Ville and the people here. I hope this small voice will be followed by others with common view points.
AFI

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that notion...is it's not too much work for (the all-powerful) Rob.
SoDum

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started a long post on this... but i just couldn't. It comes down to that i disagree. I like the rotation (Which says alot since i hate warpath) more than i would to have it turned into League maps, beucase league maps and competition breed Frustration, anger, and general problems. That's just my opinion. Then again, i don't really like the idea of the ville cup, so, what do i know.

Stillness of Body, Focus of thought, oneness of spirit. These are the virtues of a concer.

The only man to boycott happiness!
Computer

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last point.

realize that many people here don't want the Ville to become to overly competitive. Also I know that none of you want to see this turn into an OGL, PFL, etc. etc. atmosphere. But I feel that b/c most of the people frequenting this server would be Villuns it would deter them from being "overly Gung-Ho" about it. I just think it would be fun and different, again just my opinion.
Lin Sivvi Defiant Hero

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need a new tv5. My idea would be to move neotf off of TV4, and put it on TV2. I don't like having the only 24/7 server run neotf. Plus, it should, hopefully reduce pings. If I remember correctly, after neotf 1.3, pings on that server rose drasticly, and never went down.
SoDum

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually i agree with Lin. I play at odd hours, and it's kinda bothersome to have the only place to play be Neo.

Stillness of Body, Focus of thought, oneness of spirit. These are the virtues of a concer.

The only man to boycott happiness!
Computer

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd think after I had written all that the least you could do is keep it on topic. you could have started your own thread ya know?
Violent Pacifist

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

League maps lead to being owned by league map people that are non-villuns , being owned leads to frustration , frustration leads to anger , anger leads to hate , hate leads to not bothering to try the league maps for quite awhile....

Sorry, but this is the way I feel about league maps. They're alright once in awhile, but they're generally made to be competeing maps. And there'll probably be a lot of people on there that aren't from the ville. If they're any famailiar with the maps, they'll probably defend (camping by flag) and attack (be annoying flies that are hard to hit) like they do in league play. I know it would be a challenge sometimes, but if anybody from a respectable clan got on, it probably wouldn't be fun on D or O.

(VP = Failed Yoda impersonater)
Computer

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response I would like to first say taht I very much respect your opinion on that issue.

However some people to enjoy greater levels of competition and would welcome the new players to our servers. As for the style of play... well to each there own I think there is some fun in it and it would be great to experience with some of the people around here that I really enjoy playing with.
bobins

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soz computer to go off subject but i noticed that u changed your pic -- i think i prefered the old one.

i agree with lin too -- i live in the uk and i play at times that are leary odd compared with ville time as most of the ville servers dont come on untill 11:30 PM uk time i have either got to stay up lait -- like tonight -- wait untill the weekend when they r run non-stop or go on tv lV

i like going on the ville during the week and i cant keep staying up this late ( its 3:10 am ) so i gotta play on tv lV during the week if i wont to play on tv ( which if i had the choice then i do ) and neo just gets boaring to me after a while and i would much prefer the 24/7 server to be a standard type and ot a neo server.

soz again 4 going of the point comp but i felt that i had to post my veiw on what lin said

now my thought on what u said -- im unsure -- im not the greatest player yet and if its a competitive server i would feel out of place as im not yet up their with the best -- it would maby b nice to have a server act in this way every few weeks but i dont think a server should b set up to run in this style all the time.

but thats just my opinion

( i think i will go to bed now -- yaurn ( i cant spell ) -- its 3:15AM here in the UK )

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

!!BEEP!! -- !!BEEP!! -- !!BEEP!! -- !!BEEP!! -- !!BEEP!! -- !!BEEP!! --

!!dam -- yaurn -- thats my alarm -- o s*** i fell asleep at the comp again!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
FragFailure

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it on topic. Computer has an idea that should be discussed.

- PWG member 2001
- TVB founder and leader 2001-2004
- The Ville's Vegas Bashes I-V
- T.V.L. (Ville TFC League)
- The Originator of the Off-Topic Posts
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
MuLiShA

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with computer to an extent. IMO i think a rotation of avanti, flagrun, 2fort, and openfire_l would be great. Mixes regular tfc maps with league maps.
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are league maps suppposed to follow any type of rules?

Mirror sides etc?

I would not think that we would draw to many league players. The reason is they would be experinced players playing on their respective known sites.

Maybe we could put a few up on the Grudge and at least try them out.

I dont know if having them on TV2 would fill the server and I believe that is the point of 2.

I think tv2 will just need some time to become active again and get a following.
MuLiShA

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

league maps are mirror, no O v. O shooting, only O v. D, teamwork is a MUST and i like many of these maps better than standard.
Computer

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your right maybe mix in a few regular maps, but keep it CTF. And as for getting those people to come here. I believe a couple posts on The Catacombs should attract some people and you gotta start somewhere after all.

Morever here we play host to many clans as is. NJK, eP, PWG, COS, RE, LB need I continue, and all of these people should already have most of the maps.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: