FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Skills VS Your Computer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaKon
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 4:27 pm    Post subject: Skills VS Your Computer Reply with quote

Well i just went though a major sys change. I went from a celeron 466 and 16 mb voodo card with only 128 sys ram to my new sys ( I plyd TFC on this for 2+ years). P4 2 Ghz Northwood, 512mb pc 2700 ram, geforce4 ti4600 128 mb card, raid, etc etc.

I have realised that this game is just not completely skill. It is the sys behind your skills. I am on dsl and have been. But now things just feel different.

Dose anyone understand "The words comming out of my mouth?" Or does anyone have any opinions to this statment?

DK

BTW YouPowersAreWeakOldMan I think my machine will outspeck yours hehehe
three_gunn

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most definitely it has to do with how powerful your rig is. although i have met some guys that claim to be on weaker set-ups yet they still dominate. but yeah...faster sprites means faster tracking means faster firing means faster fraggin.
SoDum

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connection+Videocard+Mic+Soundcard-lack of skill=How well you play. Real, actual skill means little. If i had a state of the art comptuer on a T1 line, i'd be faring much better. Skill, obviously makes some difference, but, mostly it's your comptuer. In my opinion.

Just ask CyCoMoM: Back when i just got cable, she was confused at how i all of the sudden got so good. Then she figured out my patterns and whooped me, but, hey. I was doing good for a hot minute then.

Stillness of Body, Focus of thought, oneness of spirit. These are the virtues of a concer.

The only man to boycott happiness!
Kjeldorian Royal Guard 42

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually when I play on my friends computer, I get my @ss handed to me. His is far better than mine. State of the art and all that jazz. It looks so good and moves so smooth that I just can't hack it! When I upgrade to my Dell, it's going to hurt for a while.
=US-V= Member/Event Coordinator - Retired
<eVa> Founding Father/Leadership/Webmaster - Retired
Ville Admin - Retired
Lin Sivvi Defiant Hero

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read that the ac shoots faster on faster computers and connections, and therefore was never intended to be as strong as it is (when tfc first came out almost no one had broadband), and that is probably why it will be reduced in TF2 (when ever that will come out).
BitterBeerFace

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, power of computer and lower ping helps, but if you give some of the good players around here a PII 333 with 128 MB ram and a 56K dial up, they'll still kick the heck out of a nOOb on a dual athlon MP 2100, 2GB ram, T1 to the door.

I think the ping matters more than the system, though. I distinctly remember playing HW, and *trying* to hit someone who was in the deathroom with me... the ping difference was about 400 (in their favor), I took a soldier in the deathroom down to 85%, the soldier took me out, and I was tracking him the whole time, I just never hit.

I know skill has to count a little... I play on a weak gaming machine, and I seem to do pretty well around here. Maybe I'm just lucky and get to go against all the poor bastards with systems worse than mine

Now if you give the really good players that system to drool over: lights out, the fat lady is losing her voice, and Satan is wearing ice skates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PondScum007

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you are giving a speedy box a bit too much credit...once you are over 500mhz or so skill can usually make up for lack in mhz, but thers no denying ultrafast computers dont help ;> like this one!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree to a certain extent. The graphics card or anything else that helps get you FPS from say 15 fps to 60 or 70 fps makes a big difference. After that your eyes can barely notice the difference. A faster processor helps to some extent as does a better more responsive mouse and even a comfortable chair. However the true level of skill is the ability to compensate for what you have or don't have.

The ping has less effect than it once did for everyone except the HW as lin mentioned. There is code that attempts to lessen the benifit of a fast ping, but in the case of the HW it lets them fire more bullets in a shorter time. This is not to say that a "Skilled" HW couldn't handle a LPB HW Newb, but it is a definite advantage. When Mom and I got new Graphics cards last year our gameplay and enjoyment level improved, so I think we understand what you are trying to say DK.

Faster pings and better FPS will improve your game play, but not your skill level. There is a difference IMO.
DaKon
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I did state it wrong. It is for better game ply and not skill. The new sys has given me the chance to ply new games that I could never ply before. But TFC is my fave.

Oh yeah did you hear the next CounterSrike mission is out in the late part of this year. It will use "Steam" (initialy then a cd in stores).

Steam is where a broadband connection is required. You buy the game online and as you ply it download necessary files. Also TFC2, according to sierra, etc is set to release via stream in spring 2003.

THere is one prob I have with steam. It requires the server to hoast a majority of the game and for you to have a broadband connection. AKA you now rely completely on the server for most of the game.

I dont like this because it will cause server owners more money for data transfer and also they did it to increase sierras profits and get rid of hacks. I hate to say this but a hack is not impossible on a game that is almost entierly server run.

BTW Cycodad i run at 130 fps now on tfc hehe..oh god i am dizzy...faints...
DK

Last edited by DaKon on Tue May 21, 2002 5:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Linktodeath

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

System and ping, i think matters especially for me. I would probably be better but my dinosaur computer and AOL 56k (more like 2k)connection is holding me back.

I have a P2 433mhz, 64mb ram, Rage IIC AGP, and a usual 400 ping. I might be getting DSL or Cable soon but my computer will still make me lag to high heaven. I even lag when i am playing a LAN game with bots. I had a test done also and it said i actually only have 59mb of ram.

On days where AOL is a bit better (practically never), i usually do better. There are probably a lot of very skilled players here but don't have the chance to really shine because their technology is slowing them down.

bobins

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so thats why when i go against another hw ( when im a hw with full health and armor ) they kick the crap out of me.

i got a crap system -- compared to the stuff on sale today

i got a P lll 450Mhz, 320Mb RAM ( upgraded that not long ago ),8Mb built in graphice memory(needs upgrading) and a crapy 56k dial up modem

im hoping to save up and upgrade my system to a p lV 2 Ghz or an atholon but thats gona take ages -- i'll just have to suffer with a handycap 4 the time being.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Lin Sivvi Defiant Hero

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for fps, I really don't think you gain too much advantage off that. I used to play with D3D and had around 30-50 fps(on bad days as low as , but now that I forced myself to play with opengl, I usually average more fps that my monitors refresh rate. I didn't notice any playing differance except I would lag as much when demos detonated pipes. Although, some graphics cards and drives render hwguy tracers differently. If you read the catacombsnews site, you'd hear a lot of that.
DaKon
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I just tried the AC Heavy weapon. And with my sys I will never ply that again. That is BS to people that I love to ply with.

From what I can tell, my sys and connection will generate a 2 to 1 fire ration compared to a dial up connection (Cycodad correct me if my math was wrong, it is just a best calc guess).

Adding fuel to the fire..

DK

(IF you were one of my best friends I would get you new sys with no sales tax like oregon LOL)

hoaxie

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that there is compensation for slow v fast connections. Unless things have changed.

LONG LIVE THE 'VILLE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
DaKon
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding one last bit to my spam...

If your Video Card supports Open GL run that and that only thing to run. It is by far the best and the gaming standard (tust me you will see the diff).

DK
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: