FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Just In Case you haven't heard...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snaggletooth

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 7:09 pm    Post subject: Just In Case you haven't heard... Reply with quote

There is a virus going around that sends out an email about a file called

jdbgmgr.exe

This is the message

Quote:
Hello Everyone,
Today I received an e-mail from one of my friends in my address book. Their address book had been infected by a virus and it was passed on to my computer and my address book has been infected. The virus is not detected by Norton or McAfee anti-virus systems. The virus will sit quietly for 14 days before it does any damage. It is sent automatically by the messenger whether or not you sent any e-mails to your contacts. I have checked, found it, and deleted it. Here is how to check for the virus and to eliminate it.

1. Go to start, Find or Search option
2. In the files/folders option type the name jdbgmgr.exe
3. Be sure you check your c: drive
4. Click find now
5. If you have the virus it will be notated with a teddy bear icon and the name jdbgmgr.exe. whatever you do DON'T OPEN IT!!!!!!

DON'T DELETE THIS FILE! It's a Java program that is part of Windows. Erasing it will do some uncool things to your computer.
hoaxie

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any time you hear of a supposed virus, go to Symantec's Web site before you do anything!! They are very up-to-date and will alert you if something is a hoax! If something is valid, they will tell you exactly what to do about it. They are great!

Good heads up, Snag!

LONG LIVE THE 'VILLE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
OSU Snipe Shocker

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres also this one that I managed to recieve today
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.klez.e@mm.html

It didn't infect me, thankfully Norton Caught it when outlook express showed the email in the preview pane.

Just check it out, and ALWAYS keep your virus definitions updated and turn AutoProtect ON.

I am totally paranoid ever since I was nearly dabilitated by the WinK virus earlier this year.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
gindapoo

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one big hoax wrote:
Any time you hear of a supposed virus, go to Symantec's Web site before you do anything!! They are very up-to-date and will alert you if something is a hoax! If something is valid, they will tell you exactly what to do about it. They are great!

Good heads up, Snag!

Also could go to McAffee's website. (Just equal time here--although I do prefer Symantec.)
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never download anything with .exe in it. GO TO YOUR ..... Now that would hurt!
KillerRoofcutter
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you leave it alone after you find it will it not infect?

PICKACHU GOT OWNED!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hoaxie

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend that everyone go to Symantec and get the tool for removing the KlnZ series of viruses. Run it... it won't hurt, but it can help!

LONG LIVE THE 'VILLE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Lil-Yugi

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I ever get something like that. It's a good thing I have that GoBack software on my PC. Just revert my PC back in time before I've gotten that file.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Goldom

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE GoBack!!! That saved my old comp sooooo many times from everything! I wish it wasnt just on gateway comps tho... i miss it =(
Lil-Yugi

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! I not using a Gateway comp. I bought the new version and you can install it on ANY PC! I'm using a Compaq Presario. I have Roxio GoBack Deluxe 3.0.
Twisted29

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While were on the topic of viruses and the like, did you all know that the current aol instant messanger has weaknesses that allows people ot connect to your computer and view all your information? I just found this out the other day and I'm still working out the details as to how this works. I guess they really dont want people like me figuring out how....

Anyway, theres no real exploit created for it yet, but I suppose its only a matter of time. AOL has known of the problems for quite a while now and hasnt bothered patching it or fxing the exploit. Lazy bums. If you're interested in seeing which of your applications can cause internet security problem, I recommend www.w00w00.org (yes, those are zeros) Despite the wierd name, they are the best around.

I'm really quite Non-Twisted... (but don't tell anybody!)

Long live the Ville!!!!
DaKon
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irony:

I work for a major financial institution, and "Information Security" put out an alert just like this post to not do it.

Go figure what the people that think the cd tray is a cup holder did.

DK
The Nanite
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big time lusers DK. I sent the link and information to my office and told them not to and they did the exact same things as yours. My WorldSecure Server has filtered out 800 emails for the Klez virus in the last week.

The WorldSecure server sends them a message that says to call the HelpDesk. What do they do? FORWARD the message to me asking what to do with it. Do Attorneys know how to read? I'm sure BBF has plenty to rant about since he's Tech Support.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 6:14 pm    Post subject: Hoaxes, and not our usual kind =) Reply with quote

Any time you receive an email instructing you to delete a file you should be REALLY supiscious.

In this case, it's just a Java Debugger. No biggie, you can live without it.
But someone could just as easily instruct people to delete, say,
vmm32.vxd, or shell32.dll, or win.com, or some other critical file, and
sadly people will do it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Goldom

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohh that.. thats no good, Gateway GoBack, the one that they made themselves is muchmuch better, it does lots of l33t stuff.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: