FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Scripts? What the hell are they? (Trigger Speaks)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you use a script?
Yes?
91%
 91%  [ 11 ]
I think I'll pass thank you.
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 12

Trigger Happy

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 12:54 am    Post subject: Scripts? What the hell are they? (Trigger Speaks) Reply with quote

Ok, I know some of you use scripts and I don't want to know who. I know for a fact that some people do, but I'm not trying to flame anyone because people make their own choices in life. I want to know what da heck a script wil do for you when your own natural talent (cognitive/motor abilities) can aid your performance in TFC? What are they? Where do you find them? And what kind of scripts are out there?

I know there is a nade priming script. What da heck does it do? Anyone out there know? I'm just curious because I see a lot of people these days that can toss a primed nade perfectly into my face with a simple click of a button. Is it possible that they are using a priming script? Usually when I get rusty after a whole week of not playing, I tend to throw my primed nade behind my enemy. Kinda sucks but it takes time until I get my skillz back. Any other scripts out there? Just makes me wonder that's all

- Sig Made By <TVB>Bada^Bing-TPF-
YourPowersAreWeakOldMan

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will never automate my actions with a script. If you can't do it without a script you need to practice the game more until you can.
OS

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a buy script for CS ( press F1 - you a Colt, ect. ). It makes it easier and quicker to but weapons, armour, ammo, grens, ect.

But with TFC, what is the point? It cuts the thrill out of the game. Sure, you may frag a few more people then before, but what's the point? YOU didn't do it. Useless. I love the feeling when you do a perfect conc, throw a great primed gren, or do a sweet rocket jump. It's what makes the game a challange. I wouldn't take that away just to get a few more frags...kills some of the fun that is TFC.

But what can you do? They aren't classified as cheats, so I guess I have no arguement.
OSU Snipe Shocker

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just say NO to scripts.

I do poorly based solely on my poor skillz

No nade priming scripts here, I honestly miss my nade throws ALL THE FREAKIN TIME!!! Oh well, tis but a game, and games are just that.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Twisted29

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there are scripts to prime grenades, roccket jump, drop ammo and fein at the same time, do different style conc-jumps, and to drop pipebombs right at your feet. I pretty much frown on these scripts, because a code is replacing a learned skill.

Some scripts I dont care to much about. For example, scripts that allow a sniper to stay zoomed in without holding a button, automatically dropping extra ammo when picking up a bag. These things could be done without a script without much of a problem. If you want to be lazy and script them, I'm not going to be upset. Other patrons of the ville may, so don't go doing it based on what I say

Anyway, let me off my soapbox and answer you question. No, I don't use scripts. Never have had the patience to write them.

I'm really quite Non-Twisted... (but don't tell anybody!)

Long live the Ville!!!!
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well most scripts suck. You can rocket jump better without one, putting all your pipes at your feet sucks, Its better to lay them in a bed around whatever your going to blow up, Besides half of the fun of being a demo is playing pool with the pipes.

Plus what the heck are you doing anyway with your free time? I guess the ultimate script would be having your computer play for you.
EagleEyes

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a auto-reload script. Some say that is gay, but to me it just frees up my mouse2 so I can use it for more flexibility. (Since I mostly play solly, mouse2 reloads RPG) That is the only script I use. I think conc, demo, and rj scripts are useless. There are some pretty complicated scripts that can be defined as a cheat. But not most of them. Oh and I use to comm scripts. I just made a few of my own. So, yes I do use scripts. But not the ones that significantly alter game play.
The Nanite
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a script to reload would alter gameplay. One of the disadvantages to Soldier is reloading. You need to be concious about reloading your rocket launcher. If you have a script to auto reload then you don't need to thinking about how many rockets you have loaded. How does this not alter the gameplay? I'm not preaching or flaming, it's just a question.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only binds I have is for chat (warning llamas or threatening visits.) I don't use any for the actual game itself.

- PWG member 2001
- TVB founder and leader 2001-2004
- The Ville's Vegas Bashes I-V
- T.V.L. (Ville TFC League)
- The Originator of the Off-Topic Posts
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ktulu

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EE I use an auto-reload too when I play engie (it's bound to my jump key the space bar) I don't think it's cheeting or weak the default reload button is nowhere near where my hands are when I play

I also use and engie script I wrote that I have given to many here:
1.) 1 key press to build sg (instead of 3 mouse clicks)
2.) 1 keys press to build disp (instead of 3 mouse clicks)
3.) 1 key press to explode disp (instead of 3 mouse clicks)
4.) 1 key press to build neo mg's (everybody has this bound)
5.) 1 key press to destroy neo mg's (stupid not to have now that enemy can capture)

Do any of those binds give me a huge advantage as an engie? No! it still takes the same amount of time to build all those things but the key press is closer to where my hands are when I play.

If you use a script to do something that requires learned skill to do then I consider that a cheet and if your bind can directly kill people that is a cheet to in my eyes.

If Valve considered all binds to be cheets they would have never built in the scripting engine, I use it to remap the default keys to what is natural for me so I can concentrate on playing instead of geeking.
EagleEyes

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't alter game play at all IMO. I used the mouse2 before and it worked just fine for me. But i wanted more flexibility. So whenever I move with W A S D it reloads. That doesn't alter game play in the least.
Blown

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use a reload script and IMO doesnt give any sort of advantage. Its not like it gives you a magical rocket or something. It just acts as though you hit the reload button after firing.

The nade priming one that I've seen, all they do is hit the button once to start a nade, hit it a second time to release it. Its not doing any skill for you. I dont use them cause I like holding them with my mouse buttons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
CyC0Dad

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I would think that would hamper you a bit as a soldier since your script would make you reload between each shot unless you stand still, which as we all know is instant death to stand still in this game, causing you to not be able to fire as quickly as another soldier. I'm surprised you do as well as you do sometimes.

I see a big difference between scripts and configs. I have configs for each class that bind functions to different keys. The closest I come to a script is I bound a key that rotates through disguises as a spy. This does give me an advantage to be able to disguise on the run without bumping into a wall. For that advantage I pay with a predictable rotation of disguises. I didn't bind SG or dispenser building just because I can't remember that many keys but I do have the detonations bound to keys.

I think scripts that rocket jump, conc jump, bunny hop etc are lame...You are showing skill in scripting or dowenloading but not in gameplay. However that said, you have to tweak them for each server you play on, since they are usually effected by lag anyway.

We all have different advantages in the game. Faster connections, bigger monitors, better graphics cards, better sound cards, left handed controllers and several other things. We can't always level the playing field. I'm not sure if I think they are cheating, but I do know that I won't use some because it just doesn't feel right to me, and that is what I base most of my life decisions on as well. Cheating ??? I don't know..but definitley lame.
ApacheEyes

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EE.. blown... and any other, how can you say that its not an advantage ???

You don't have to worry or think about reloading, that means that because you don't even have to think about reloading you have more time to think about where to shoot, where to move etc.. that gives you an advantage over other players who are not running the script.

I played on TV1 against a soldier who never ran out of rockets, I was sure then that he had an auto reload script, its clearly an advantage to have the script.

EE, your one of the best players around, but you have to use a script to reload? that is disappointing dude, with your reflexes etc, you should have enough skill to be able to do it like the game meant it to be and like just about any other player, manually.

Any script that gives any advantage over another player, whether you deem it to be great or small is a cheat as far as I'm concerned, because you are clearly obtaining an advantage over your opponents.

Binding a key for the neo stuff is another matter, such as the HW hook, where you have to bind to get the thing to work.

Everyone should play on even terms, if your using a script then everyone should be using that script and they should be posted as a download so its fair for everyone.

No offence gentlemen, but you really have gone down a notch or two in my repsect for you.

Ap.
ToRaK

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From: http://half-life.gamehelp.com/console/alias_by_date_2.html

Quote:
This simple script will reload the weapon you have in hand whever you aren't using it. You will also have to bind a key to "-reload" and press it before respawning after you die. If you prefer, you can bind a key to "-reload; wait; +attack; wait; wait; -attack" and use it for a one-key respawn instead. Note that you'll always see the reloading animation for your weapon, which may be distracting to some.

bind x -reload
bind mouse1 +at
alias +at "-reload;+attack"
alias -at "-attack;+reload"

I just did a search at school (through all the damn proxies and restrictions) and found this. I don't think using such a script makes you any less of a player. The playing field will not ever be completely equal. Scripts are useful in that you can be more flexable. Personally I have not been using any scripts. However, I'm starting to run out of keys and am looking for somewhere to put these commands.

Oh, and the kid that never ran out of rockets, couldn't he just be using his reload button? I mean, I seldom run out of rockets and I don't use a reload script.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: