FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Voice communication

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> F-A-Q
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gindapoo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 12:49 pm    Post subject: Voice communication Reply with quote

I have been trying to get the voice communication working. (It was a real bonus in last weeks FNF on 2fort and should be a great aide in the upcoming Ville Cup.) The problem is I still sound like I am underwater--the voice cuts out periodically and is fuzzy. I have tried all the little physical tweaks (adjusting volume, mic position, etc) and none of those worked. I remember back when the 1.1.0.8 patch came out this all was discussed then, too, but I cannot locate that info. If anyone has any ideas, links, comments that might be useful, I would appreciate your input.

Some relevant system info:
Win98SE
Soundblaster Live
headset mic
PIII 800mHz, 384MB
connecting through DSL
Blown

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried a different mic by chance?

Also, deathbringer used to have a problem with his, you might wanna email or pm him and ask what he did. I sorta know but dont wanna mess it up. I also have a SB Live and have no probs.

You might wanna also check your IRQ sharing of the Sound Card. It maybe sharing an IRQ with something else and causing some conflicts. Moving the card to a different PCI slot may help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
gindapoo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bttt
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you mean when you say adjusting level that you went to the set-up control panel and set your mic up??
gindapoo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I set up the mic with the sound card mixer and it sounds fine by itself. Then I used the voice comm setup that is part of the 1.1.0.9 patch, and that sounded fine. When I tried the voice comm in game--I am underwater (breaks up badly).

I went through and tried several different combinations of settings for the mic input volume and positioning of the mic, but nothing has seemed to work quite right.
bobins

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 10:56 am    Post subject: QUESTION Reply with quote

SORRY I CANT HELP WITH YOUR PROB MATE.

I GOT A CRAP MIC BUILT INTO MY MONITOR AND MINE WORKS FINE FOR WHAT IT IS BUT I WONNA GET A PROPER HEADSET ONE FOR USE WITH THE GAME -- -- DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGESTIONS ON TYPES OF MIC AND MAKE -- WHICH ARE THE BEST TO USE???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Robert E. Lee

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OFF TOPIC.........

bobins162 - Please disengage your cap locks.. Typing in all caps is considered shouting and very annoying.

Thanks
hoaxie

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gndapoo,

The same thing happens to me underwater. I think it is supposed to be that way. After all, you really cannot hear well when you are under water in real life. It also sounds kind of echo-y. That is the only time my sound or voice is at all strange so I have to assume it is supposed to be that way.

I could be wrong.
gindapoo

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one big hoax wrote:
Gndapoo,

The same thing happens to me underwater. I think it is supposed to be that way. After all, you really cannot hear well when you are under water in real life. It also sounds kind of echo-y. That is the only time my sound or voice is at all strange so I have to assume it is supposed to be that way.

I could be wrong.

It happens all the time, not just underwater (I could live with that).
I have tried three different mics and it is the same situation--garbled comm, almost like the mic is clipping. BTW it also happens when I run a LAN game on my machine, so I figure it has to be something in my config.

New thought, could there be some sort of electronic interference that could be causing problems? I probably need to ask my brother the electrical engineer that one, heh.

Thanks for everyone's input.
bobins

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

!!SORRY!!

i didn't realize i had caps on untill i had typed it all and i wasent re-typing it

i didn't mean to make u think that i woz shouting

i'll keep to the topic next time

soz
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> F-A-Q All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: