FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
HWGuy Tips
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enrico

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 5:11 pm    Post subject: HWGuy Tips Reply with quote

Belive it or not, although a lot of you will think im crazy, the HW Guy has some finer points that many people overlook.
One example, you are way to fat to attack effectively. Unless its a map with good cover (well, avanti), you will have about as much life as the average pyro/soldier, but are still laden as if you are carrying a cow.
Speaking of pyros, when you are enflamed,

NEVER NEVER EVER

back up. The flames get in your face and you cant see a darn thing, usually resulting in a good time for the pyro. If can overcome your fear of computer fires, its best to walk forward, the flames arent in your face then.
When underwater, dont fire your AC, you already loose about 40 health from suffocation in some maps like well or crossover, you can only make it worse, use a super shotty.
One last note,
you are capable of massive damage, be careful where you direct your destructive energies. One a mirror damage server, you mirror damage can cut out a good chunk of yoor health and all that armor will be for naught, on non-mirror damage servers, a poorly placed MIRV can strip half your teams armor.[/code]
YourPowersAreWeakOldMan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: HWGuy Tips Reply with quote

If you thought I posted here to share all my power you were wrong....I'm keeping them a secret for now, but I do have some comments re: the above.

Juxtaposition wrote:

One example, you are way to fat to attack effectively.

I beg to differ, you can attack most excellently at any map and have 100 more armor than a Soldier and 150 more than a Pyro (Twice as much). Despite being heavy and slow you can actually be quite mobile and if you set your mouse sensitivity to maximum you can track in a circle faster than a scout/pyro/anybody who thinks they can circle-strafe you, or instantly do a 180 to look behind you if needed.[/quote]

Juxtaposition wrote:

When underwater, dont fire your AC, you already loose about 40 health from suffocation in some maps like well or crossover, you can only make it worse, use a super shotty.

I would suggest you use your shotty if they are at long range, but in closer quarters feel free to AC away, HW guys are like submarines and have an incredible advantage in the water. All classes slow down in the water and become very very less mobile so it's easy to concentrate a volley of AC fire directly into them without them being able to dodge or throw grenades at you...plus being slow already, you're used to moving slowly, if you play HW much, and being slowed in the water won't phase you much and give the the ability to not only move on the X and Y planes but on the Z as well giving you complete mobility in the water to manuver and get the slow smaller "fish" lined up and killed. No one will beat a HW in a water battle, especially soldiers who must hit you directly instead of having splash damage from floors and walls to help them kill you.

I've already said too much, I must go now.
hoaxie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happen to think that there are times when you are on fire that it is crucial to back up. If you are surrounded by a pyro, medic, and spy all at the same time and you are near a corner... back into it!! or better yet... get in a narrow doorway so they can't get past you!! A HW will never outrun those 3 and they are more manageable as a group if they have a smaller area by which to attack you. But, what do I know. hehehe

LONG LIVE THE 'VILLE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Trigger Happy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, it sucks when you get smashed by two fattys, especially in small corridors. If you do get smashed then your dead meat. You can't even duck or squat because you amid enemy fire. I was on the blue team and my own fatty teammate squashed me against the wall because she was strafing against another red fatness. Did it irritate me, yes, but it cracked me up even more because my sister had no clue. She did it to me on purpose! Doh.

- Sig Made By <TVB>Bada^Bing-TPF-
Thom Yorke Obliterator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The better HWGuys might disagree with this, but I like to switch to the super shotgun for fighting Pyros up close. You are so slow with the AC firing that it's tough to keep going forward without turning right into the flames. With the shotty, you are actually pretty quick and can keep a safer distance from those flames, while still dishing out more punishment than a Pyro can handle.

Another little tip that someone may get some use out of: I bind my mouse wheel to switch between two common weapons for each class, one for wheel up and one for wheel down. It's great for a lightning quick switch in the middle of a firefight.
YourPowersAreWeakOldMan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wheel is automatically set to cycle weapons. That's how I switch all the time to change weapons so fast, and if you're on a weapon and want to break out the AC quick, right mouse brings up the AC.
Computer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a question to go with this.

As HW Guy I find myself often aquirig multiple enemys at the same time. I was wonering when baddies are approaching do you select who to shoot by class? distance? who they are? Or is it a combination of all of these or just a start shooting untill dead and then aquire a new target?

me I gauge it by who is going to cause me the most problems. Medics are always first on the list cause I refuse to be infected if I can at all avoid it. Soldiers move up quickly on the list caues they pack the most punch. But sometimes will be ignored if I see that they are not very talented. Pyro's are always a primarty target because of the interference with my vision. Number one on the list though at close range is another HW, at a distance though I just try and remove myself from his LOS (line of sight). I'm no expert so I'm opening this to critisism and corrections.
hoaxie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My number one priority if there is a group is the sniper.... he can be easily killed, but he can take me out in one shot. I try to get him out of the way them concentate on the spy who can get behind me and take me out in one slice. After that comes medic. I will concentrate on who can hurt me most with the least effort and who moves the fastest. The rest I will MIRV, and if I am dieing, I will leave nades for the rest. Distance does play into it, but I will almost always go for the sniper first.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
YourPowersAreWeakOldMan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoever I see first is who gets the gun. If its a weak clas paired with a HWG I'll tear through the weak guy and have enough life to finish off the HW and probably anyone else standing around. Most of the time I'm not at full health but I can take a HW without getting hit sometimes so I just usually pick the first guy in line and plow on through hurling complimentary grenades to enemies on the sides who I see out of the corber of my eye or further in the distance to take care of them.
EagleEyes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HWGuy can be a VERY dangerous weapon in the right hands. One thing I suggest is when you see an enemy coming prime a nade. Then fire at them with AC and throw the nade at em if they are still alive. Another thing, if you are an HW on, lets say avanti. Stay close to the cap point, don't go roaming to the other side of the map to look for enemys. Because when you roam people can slip by you and get an easy cap, if your team isn't very good. A good HW is much better than a lvl 3 SG.
Lil-Yugi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You better leave my lv3 sg out of this. No HW can pass my lv3 sg when I'm around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
YourPowersAreWeakOldMan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I can go face to face with a Level 3 Sentry Gun and blow it up just by shooting it to death. And Having primed nades ready to throw at the engineer who may be attending it or the gun itsself just makes them easier to take down.
BitterBeerFace

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EagleEyes wrote:
A good HW is much better than a lvl 3 SG.

Amen, a moving, spy checking, LVL 3 SG... very nice to have a good one on your team, a royal pain if he/she's on the NME, though!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Enrico

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, i would say that the HW guy is more like a lvl2.5SG, lvl2 weapons, but lvl3 health. But then you do have to factor in the other things like moving and spy check, so maybe a lvl2.75 SG, but there are his weaknesses like a 1 hit knife kill, so i would settle on a 2.6SG...

I know its irrevalent, but i didn't tell you to listen
Lil-Yugi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave my lv 3 SG out of this.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: