FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Needing Spy Tips
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Computer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm not going to pretend like I"m totally void of any idea as to how to play spy I was just hoping I could get a little more info and maybe something that I havn't thought about before. I'll just put a few tips up here so this doesn't become redundant information for me.

Disguise as your own team before the gates open on Avanti when running to the nades so that the defense is not aware that there is a spy on your team.

Steal the defenses grenades from behind the church, if you can sneak back there.

Disguise as a class of similar speed if you think you will be running past a lot of the NME.

Drop gas grenades in congested areas.

Feign behind enemy lines and change to a class that would be normal to see in that position.

Don't disguise as a engi cause the rail gun is a like a GIGANTIC red flag.
Ok there's my a hunk of my limited knowledge. Thanks in advance

Whybkuul

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K, I suppose I'll post a few of my tips.

-Throw packs when you're going past an engi.. it'll usually throw them off.

-Get behind the enemy of course

-Use the walk button, it's your best friend. (I really love disguising as HW and walking, it's almost perfect)

-Don't go directly for your enemy, work your way to them.

-Use your nades, they're also your friend. NEVER BE OUT OF NADES. (this actually applies to any class)

-The final tip for now: Don't go by me as spy. I'm serious, I have a knack for spotting spies, something just seems odd about them to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lin Sivvi Defiant Hero

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you see an hwguy in the water, mainly rock2 or well, and your going to die hit him with the tranq gun, he'll drown.

Make sure the class you're looking like is on the other team. I was playing one and some guy said I was cheating cause I always knew he was a spy, his looked like a solly, we didn't have any.

Use your knife on hwguys. It is very very easy, they are big, and nice targets. If really helps your team too. You don't know how nice it is to see your own spy run up and kill the guy attacking you.

If you already have lost your disguise, use the shotgun, I love the shotgun, it owns.

Change classes is you think you are spotted. When people say spy, they usually indicate what class, if you don't look like that class then they might not notice you.

If for some reason you ran out of nades (this should never happen as whyb said), and are far enough away from an sg, use the nail gun, the nail guns owns sgs

In warpath you can use nades to jump onto the last cap point from the left entrance. Nade jumping is suprisingly good for spys.

As whyb also said, but I don't do. Keep your ammo instead of discarding in your respawn, to throw an enemy sgs. It completely throws off the engy/other team.

Don't stop if you're spotted. If you are going for an sg, spam!!! If you are going for a warpath point, kill the person following you.

Lastly as whyb said, don't play with me when I'm playing hwguy or solly. Spy check good with those. Oh ya, don't play against mike rotch, he owns

hoaxie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I caught a spy one day so easily because I was the only HW on my team and he disguised as an HW. When I saw me ('cause you know when I looked at him I saw my name), I knew I had to die!! So, I killed me, er him.

LONG LIVE THE 'VILLE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Brujah

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I always did find it commical to see a spy as a class you didn't have or were the only one of anyway

work on feigning .. I find it to be the most handy trick in the book. If I kill someone I can normally feign where they die and pull of a diff disguise before they get back

that's just a tip from me though... the rest I have have already been said
ToRaK

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be a sneaky (and effective) spy you should always vary your attacking patterns. I'll often find a spies prefered route and camp it until the spy goes a different route or I am killed. Killing a spy 5 times in a row before he reaches your teams defenses will make the engy's love you, and allow their sg's to concentrate on heavy classes.

So, to avoid getting repeatedly killed:

-Change disguises regularly.

-Know thy NMY (if they have one medic and he's pressing and never retreating, don't disguise as medic as all will your a spy)

-Know the game (only disguise as things that primary weapon is a good weapon. Therefore, don't disguise as medic, engy, etc.)

-Know your speed (only run as fast as the class you are disguised as)

-Know your class (Don't run straight up to an SG as a sniper, go stand on a sniper balcony, then creep back down and 'nade the SG)

-BE SNEAKY (Looping back and confusing the NMY is essential to your success. Don't allow yourself to be caught the first time, at least distract the NMY, and maybe you'll even lose him entirely.)

-Oh, and stay away from people like me. I shoot EVERYTHING that moves...irregardless.

ToRaK

[ This Message was edited by: ToRaK on 2002-04-10 06:19 ]
Whybkuul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH! one more tip.

-Walk backward toward the enemy, jump, and throw a nade or two. It sounds stupid, I know, but the nme will think you're retreating from someone on the other team. Trust me, I use it all the time and it gets me past those pesky engi's/solly/hw.

-If you see a medic, run away. If you get infected, you're kind of useless. As you're running, select a new disguise and try to cloak where you can't be seen.

-If you're being chased by the enemy, cloak as the class that's chasing you. Any enemy that notices the chase will be confused by who's who.

-Shit, that's 3 tips.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MikeRotch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh thanks Lin Sivvi. I play mostly soldy now and focus on spies. However, I used to ALWAYS play just spy so I'll toss in a few tips even though most has been already said.

First and most importantly, to play spy you, you need to learn nade priming and as Whyb said always have nades.

When attacking, know when to run away. Your main objective is sg's so there's usually no point in DM'ing with people. If you're spotted by a HW or soldy, run away taking a different route and change disguise. If an engy or sniper spots and chases you, run away while priming a nade, turn around and toss it in his face, then change disguise.

An sg takes two nades but it's no good if the engy keeps healing it so with your first nade, try to take out the engy while hitting the sg.

Here's some do not's:
Do not look directly at any enemy (unless its at his back )
Do not stop and look at an sg.
But don't run backwards, thats even more obvious

Always be moving.

Last the best disguise IMO is as a demoman, because it has the same speed and the default weapon is what he uses the most. Next best is a pyro (if the other team actually has one) or soldy but there is a speed difference. Most people that play spy a lot usually have a favorite disguise. Maybe I'll post some of those sometime
AFI

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember...in Neo-TF, you can hear the enemy chat as a spy if youre close enough. So you'll know if you've been spotted if they tell it to the rest of their team (and it lets you know it's time to change disguises).
Bada Bing

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only tip I will give up is if you are spotted concentrate on running for health and keeping that player or group of players hehe focused on killing you.Bada dead ? (hehe Frag) you better make sure but even if you kill me I will distract you Watch Frag or any of the good spies killing sgs and distracting are the best things to do If you can do both and stab people silly you are good or you are playing against lots of noobs My favorite is to kill sgs,distract,and be a pain in the ass so much people are happy killing and ganging up on me while my team caps

Are you threatening me ???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ameanman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spies are esp. effective vs. a sentry gun if the engy is alone; even if the engy knows you are a spy, all you have to do is to quickly throw 2 nades at the sentry first to kill it (its even funnier if the engy tries to repair it, getting killed by the nade in the process) but if the engy is smart and lets it die, you can still out-shotgun him after teh sg is down (you have more life/armor) , only thing you have to worry about are EMP/nades
This is a common senario in the basement of 2fort....just you(the spy) vs the engy and his precious sg..unless of course the opposing team actually HAS teamwork, something i wish i could see more of...lol

I have a question....do different lvl sentries have different amounts of life? so does it take just 1 grenade to take out a lvl 1 sg? and if so, how much for a lvl 2?
ToRaK

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FRESHNESS DATING!
bobins

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thik they got different life --cos when i shoot em with snipe -- without charging rifle properly -- a lvl 1 takes 1 shot and a lvl3 takes 2 shots
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Bada Bing

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to snipe a level 3 hit it in the area right below the radar on the top of the SG #angel Even a level 3 can be killed with one grenade and a nail gun if you don't mind dying.You can also use a nailgun far away if you hide good and kill it from far away

Are you threatening me ???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ameanman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AND Stay away from pyros, they like to spy check by IC (itz a habit, believe me...i do it all the time, but then i have a bad habit of trying to chase the spy down..lol)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: