FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Book recommendations
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whybkuul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need some books to read, so it's time to post the best book/books you've ever read. I'm up for almost anything except romance/cowboy books. My personal favorite is "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card. I'm not a big sci-fi fan, but this book kicked ass. Thanks for the posts ppl, you're contributing to keeping boredom away from me while at work.

P.S. "Playboy" is not a book people, so don't even try to post it... :wink:

[ This Message was edited by: Whybkuul on 2002-04-04 17:28 ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Secret Agent Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well.. you can read these books which i found entertaining..... The dubliners by James Joyce..... Orge Castle by F.J. Hale........ The great gastby by F Scott Fitzgerald..... Lord Of the Rings by Talkien.... Macbeth by shakespear..... thats all i know....... sorry

aa, oshiete sensei-san
Computer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bad Place by Dean Koontz or anything by him is pretty good, kind of like Stephen King just a lot stranger. still horror though

Dahak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom clancy..

um.. playboy
Greebo
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Harry Potter Books - by JK Rowling (aimed at kids but still damn good)

The Discworld series of books - by Terry Pratchett

"Good Omens" - by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

"Star Wartz" - by Patrick Tilley

"Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" (all 5 of the books) by Douglas Adams

Most books by John Grisham.

"Bravo Two Zero" by Andy McNab

"Rainbow Six" by Tom Clancy (don't care what others thing I quite like it)

Will put more when I think of em.

[Edited to add]
"2001: A Space Odessey" by Arthur C Clarke.(good but v.v.v.v.v. deep)

(That isn't a true translation - only letter for letter)

[ This Message was edited by: Greebo on 2002-04-04 17:36 ]
OSU Snipe Shocker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read something by Peter Mayle. Light fiction, he writes light hearted capers involving a well off businessman and the south of france. often accompanied by an attractive woman (or women) I started off with "Chasing Cezanne", but his other books, like "Hotel Pastis" are good as well.

Also, if you want your brain to be turned to mush, you should read "House of Leaves" by Mark Danielewski. It is definitely a head trip if I've ever read one. Its sort of a horror/fantasy/fiction book.

As far as fantasy is concerned, you should check out the "Sword of Truth" series by Terry Goodkind. The series starts with "Wizards First Rule". Great high fantasy, theres lots of violence, magic and even sex and nudity. Oh, and in one of the books there is some S&M, the way you like it WhyB

I think thats about it as far as I know. Not too into the classics and stuff.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BitterBeerFace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*ahem* I just plugged this in Bada's post: "A Bright Shining Lie" by Neil Sheehan...

This isn't really a 'real' book, but I also suggest '1000 years, 1000 people: Ranking the men and women who shaped the millenium' by Gotlieb & Gotlieb, Bowers and Bowers

Read the star wars books... all of 'em! hehehe, I've read about 20 or so, all good

Midnight in the garden of good and evil by John Berendt

Another book that's not really real... "The Devil's Dictionary" by Ambrose Bierce (it's a dictionary of sarcastic definitions, not satanic)

Any reading is good...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Snaggletooth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on BBF, I have around 50 Star Wars Paperbacks and Hardcovers dating back to 1977 with the original beat up copy of Star Wars.

A book I just finished reading is "Black Hawk Down" by Mark Bowden. I wanted to read the book before I saw the film.

Another one that is kind of history oriented is "The Chrysanthemum and The Sword" by Ruth Benedict. She was a social anthropologist assigned to study the Japenese during WWII and the years following. The book has all sorts of interesting aspects of the Japenese culture pre and post WWII.

The "Redwall" series by Brian Jacques are really good. The characters are animals, but they are portrayed as men would be. It's a great set of books with lots of evil Vermin Warlords and Pirates versus woodland Mice(The Redwall Abbey Warrior/Monks) and Badger lords of the Eastern Coast and Otter and Squirrel warriors of the forest. Each type of animal has a different accent. The Rabbits of the Long Patrol, for example speak like Aussies. The whole series is an overall good read.
hoaxie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, no sci fi here...

Read anything by Kurt Vonnegut... especially The Cat's Cradle and Breakfast of Champions.

Also, a book, lost the author's name, called Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence. (Heavy philosopy in this book.)

LONG LIVE THE 'VILLE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Snaggletooth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second "Zen and...." Oh, it's full title and author are "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values" -- Robert M. Pirsig
hoaxie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Yes...Pirsig!! Thank you my lovely assistant!

LONG LIVE THE 'VILLE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
AFI

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat's Cradle, A Clockwork Orange, Sphere, The Day of the Jackal, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, The Hobbit, Fast Food Nation (you'll never eat at McDonalds again)...
(+)ASSASSIN(+)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if your not a big star wars fan I recommend reading Heir to the empire, Dark force rising and the last command by Timothy Zahn, if they could make these books into movies it would put the original trilogy to shame. very exciting reading. It takes place shortly after the end of return of the jedi, so it could be episodes 7 8 and 9. because of that you dont have to be a star wars junkie to follow them.

Mongoose_Slayer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOME good authors, just a few:
JRR Tokein
RA Salvatore
Agatha Christie
Micheal Moore
um..playboy??, jk hehe...i dont know theres alot of others but im just giving four off the top of my head
John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend anything by Guy Gavriel Kay. I just got John Carter of Mars hooked on his books. Start with either Tigana or the Lions of AL-Rassan and I guarantee you will enjoy them.

I dont really recommend specific books, I prefer to recommend some Authors you might want to try.

Authors that I am fond of:

J.R.R. Tolkien
David Gemmell
Guy Gavriel Kay
Raymond Feist

Some good Sci-Fi from the likes of Asimov or Clarke are good too.

JD

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: