FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
need help from someone knows about computer tech stuff
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goldom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK my computer has issues. this is putting it mildly. What it FEELS like is that explorer alone is using up so much memory that it can barely run... this isnt true though, cause it says it has plenty left. (though not as much as it should for 512 ram...)

The only other thought is maybe its overheating? But why would it, again, from JUST explorer (as in windows iteself, not IE).

Basically, it gets so insanely slow, just moving the mouse lags it. Restarting only helps for about 2 minutes...

So basically, What do you think is wrong / what should I do???
Lil-Yugi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did this issue begin.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lil-Yugi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you recently install any new hardware devices or software that may have screwd with your system? Or maybe you have a lot of icons on your taskbar next to your clock. This may be why your pc is slow. Did you check your system resources. If the number is very low, that means your system will perform very slow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lil-Yugi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you clean your fan or system latley so it can be dust free. Maybe you need to input another fan if you think it's overheating.

Lil-Yugi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol if it's an AMD chip thats the problem. lol I'm just kidding. I'm trying to get Pondscums attention.
Goldom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeez mikey? think you could say that all in 1 post?

OK let me elaborate:

I have:

1.4 Ghz P4,
512 ram (upgraded from 256)

Yes, I do have a lot of stuff on taskbar, but even when I close absolutely everything except explorer, it still goes slowly. The wierd grinding noise is not always there either its there on startup, or not till next startup, but the slowness almost always comes in and out randomly while computer is on.

I recently opened it up and found a TON of dust, but I cleaned it all out, and it doesn't work any better now.. 2 more wierd things i noticed while doing this

1. there is a wierd yellow light that is staying on inside computer while its off and it is making a high-pitched whining noise.

2. When I re-plug computer back in, something makes a really loud REVVING noise, sounds like an old car that needs an oil change..

I recently tried d/ling a program that reads CPU usage, and it was just going crazy, it was shooting around from 0% to 100% every like 2 seconds...

somethng is veryyy veryyyy wrong...
hoaxie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There could be something wrong with your hard drive (grinding noise). Have you done a virus scan lately? How old is your hard drive?

Another thing... is your fan running? The exhaust fan... and the fan on your processor. You know you can go into your BIOS and check the temperature of your system.

The grinding sounds to me like your hard drive, though. I do not know what the heck that has to do with your RAM, but if you have a virus, that could explain it.

LONG LIVE THE 'VILLE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
MunkeyEye
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I recently tried d/ling a program that reads CPU usage, and it was just going crazy, it was shooting around from 0% to 100% every like 2 seconds...

That looks like your problem right there. Open up your task manager and click on the Process tab. Sort the columns by CPU and find out which process is causing the 100% CPU usage. Kill that process and you should be fine. I doubt it will be something that is critical either. Also make sure that proess doesn't keep starting up again.

The light on your motherboard is fine and it should be on. The whirring noise is just prob your fan stretching after taking a nap. So long as it goes away, it's probab a non-issue. PCs have feelings too, clean her up once in a while and she'll be grateful to you for that!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Lil-Yugi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of PC you have.
Lil-Yugi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be the hard drive because I had to replace a hard drive because it had weird grinding noises going on inside of it.

[ This Message was edited by: Sneaky_Lil_Mikey on 2002-04-02 23:32 ]
Goldom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey munkey, i havent heard of a task manager since windows 3.1... where is it ?
PondScum007

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm a grinding noise in the HD is pretty bad... id reccomend reforatting your HD and reinstlaling OS, nice and fresh..but then again thats my answer to alot of things... ;>

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

youd also reccommend an athelon wouldn't you ...

umm if i wanted to wipe everything on my computer, Id throw it out the window... wipeing HD = not fun.
Goldom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

munkey i found a program in windows called "taskman" but in it is an empty window no "processes" or anything
hoaxie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athlons ROx0R!!!! Baaaaaybeeeeee!!!

LONG LIVE THE 'VILLE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: