FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Demoman Tips
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vulcan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2002 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen many tips for demomen so I will give a few.

1) Use your detpacks.
You have them for a reason. They make good traps for people to go by and die from.

2) Learn where to put your detpacks.
A detpack does no good if no one is near it when it goes off. Some high traffic areas are the best, but you will commit suicide some of the times.

3) Choose a good map.
Some maps are better maps than others for demomen because you have more to do. Avanti and warpath are two, because you have to open the church/yard.

I will give more, and hope Cycodad, and anyone else, will give some too, as time goes by and I learn more about the demoman class.

ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2002 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learn the demo jump.

Its handy for getting the church. Learn to shoot a pipe and set it off as you jump over it throwing you up and into the backdoor area for setting the det. Your most important job is to get that door open!

You can use 2 pipes and jump from the bag just outside the death room all the way to the rear door. Sometimes you can set the det while 3 is being attacked.

Heres a tip for dustbowl. set det at exit gate and let the flag carrier use it to launch him past the enemy defenses and hopefully for the cap.
you will suicide but its the cap thats important. This takes teamwork with the flag carrier and yourself.

Computer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2002 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not expert. But might as well throw my 2 bytes in here. Hopefully Gibbon will pop up here soon and spill forth his infinite wisdom.

1) SPAM! Be annoying and make explosions. For heavens sake, you have a GRENDADE launcher, MIRV's, and pipe BOMBS. When the gates open on Avanti poke your head out and look left tossing grendade's to clear the area.

2) Another good time to open the church is when your team is attacking CP 1. It sounds a little crazy, but most the time you can pipe jump up the wall, up to CP 2. Grab the health in the death room and the one outside, and then pipe jump up to the church, and voila!

3) Open/close the tunnels in warpath/rock2. This is vital to your teams offense/defense. And just as importantly let them know when the enemy tunnel has reopened, since there is no announcement for it.

4) Set pipe bombs in strategic areas. ie. on the steps up to CP 3 on Avanti.

Well that's all I'm going to divulge.

BitterBeerFace

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2002 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen, as a demoman, spam if you think an NME is around the corner... learn to bounce things off the walls! You GL Grenades and Pipebombs can be very accurately shot around corners... Never be too afraid of getting killed that you don't sacrifice yourself to deliver your MIRV accurately! If you team is going for the church, spam the inside of the church mercilessly, that'll clear it, and fast!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
OS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use all the weapons you have at your disposal. Chuck every mirv you have before you die. It just may come in handy. Hell, I chucked one at com. 3 yesterday, and I kill all the sg's and mg's, and about 3 people!

That's why I'm coming 4th in both gl_grenades and detpacks
thewz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On avanti, you can open the church before you cap 1. Go to the gate on the right, wait for the gates to open. When they are opened, crouch and shoot one pipe in front of you, run forward and pipejump over the wall, a good pipejump can get you all the way to the ladder. Once you do that, take the health pack and run to the balcony. Before you jump off the balcony to the ground below, aim a bit up and fire a pipebomb towards the church, again use this pipebomb to jump up to the church door. Set the detpack and blow the church. Once you have done that, double back and blow up any enemy defenses, they probably won't expect an attack from behind.

Computer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that is the almost the exact thing that I said on number 2

thewz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woops didn't see that
Vulcan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard people say that to use only pipebombs and learn to time their explosions, but I think that when you are fighting a lot of enemies or even trying to spam, use you grenade launcher.

Bildo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to set a bind key to set off you det when you want it to go off? Is that possible?

Blown

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use pipebombs to lay the trap and gl's for spam.

Lay you pipebombs in a place you can kinda see, then switch to gl's and spam. You will leave the pipbombs, ready for you to blow someone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Albino Gibbon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bildo, there are only three settings. +det5, +det20, +det50.

Computer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually i believe you can use the command "detstart" and then type in the amount of time that you want.

Lin Sivvi Defiant Hero

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is some type of command for custom detpacks, cause I was looking at one file that had all the things like "Enemies are using your dispenser", and I saw "You must set your detpack for atleast 5 seconds".
PondScum007

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no you can only make detpax for the predetermined amounts..

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: