FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Sully's tip of the week 3/30/2002 (early)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sully
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2002 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know it's not next week yet, but this tip seems appropriate due to some of the fall-out from the most recent bash.

Competition can be good!

We seem to be speaking ill of competitiveness on these boards lately. The comments posted about not worrying about skill and just having fun are very true, but it seems to me that there is also an implication that you can't be competitive and have fun.

I think that what we really want to say is have fun, be competitive, and BE A GOOD SPORT. It's good that you don't want to lose, it's OK if you don't like it, but it happens to everyone. The real test is how you react when it happens to you. When it does, show some class. It's not always lag, not everyone is a cheetur, sometimes they simply got the better of you.

If your teammates aren't doing what they need to do to win, don't insult them, but this doesn't mean that you can't try to pass along advice that you think will make your team successful. I've seen plenty of people become abusive toward their teammates when they felt the team wasn't doing well, but I've also seen players say,"play for fun, don't be so serious" when offered good, polite advice from a player who just wants his team to succeed.

And lastly, sometimes you will be on a team that cannot succeed because of various factors such as; relative skill to the other team, players who just can't work as a team, ect. When this happens, you are only contributing to the problem if you become abusive. Again, here is a perfect time to be classy, and keep your cool.

This weeks tip (early even, because it needed to be said) is be competitve, try to win, but be a good sport while you do. I'm the first to say, "It's only a game", but I play games to win. I don't say "It's only a game" because winning isn't important to me, I say it because winning a game isn't as important to me as treating my fellow gamers with courtesy and respect.

Sig courtesy of K.R.G.
hoaxie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2002 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good one, Sully. I have said it before... Part of your responsibility as a team player is to learn. The other part is to teach.

LONG LIVE THE 'VILLE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ProudWhiteTrash

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2002 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gr8 post sully
Twisted29

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2002 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Sully!

You're always right on top of everything with your tips. We appreciate it bro. Hehe, personally I think you're just trying to take over JD's forum.....

Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2002 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't have been said any better!!

God Bless You Blue Ruler
FragFailure

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2002 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SULLY SUCKS!

I still owe you a few.

- PWG member 2001
- TVB founder and leader 2001-2004
- The Ville's Vegas Bashes I-V
- T.V.L. (Ville TFC League)
- The Originator of the Off-Topic Posts
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Sully
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2002 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twisted, I can't take this away from JD, my bowl isn't filled with "knowledge".

Frag, you know where I am. Come find me.

(wish I could insert the theme music from The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly here)

Sig courtesy of K.R.G.
Vulcan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2002 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree that some competitiveness is needed to keep the game fun, but I also feel that some people, including myself before becoming a demoman, are taking the game a little too serious sometimes. Competition is one reason I have been trying to get into the bash and why I played in the mulch tourney. But when I am in the regular servers, I want to help my team win and have fun at the same time. Unfortunately I haven't been able to do that in enormous amounts lately, becuase I have been trying to learn where to place detpacks and where not to place them.

KillerRoofcutter
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2002 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice it is time to go back to here gotta go get it and copy it...

I Love you server with all my TFCheart.....! If I had to make a choice I would choose you. You are the home of my best TFC friends. Like My Father MY TFC Friends The Admins And many many more.
(cours)
If I had to make a choice I would choose you.
I love you with all my TFC Heart. You are the homes of my best TFC friends. From My Father My friends to the admins to the noobs.

You have always been my favorite server ever since I meet you. I have played here cuz I Love you server with all my TFC heart.

You are the homes of the people of TFC. You have grown so rapidly. You have gone from just 1 server to 6! from about 4 admins to 16. You gone from #100 to #1 in my TFC heat. You gone from 16 people slots to 20 - 24 and 2 slots for admins on every server.And If you were never created I would Have an empty TFC heart for my entire life. I would Never have kept on playing TFC.

I LOVE YOU SERVER WITH ALL MY TFC HEART! And I'm proud to be a Viller. Where at least I know I have a TFC Home.

I Love you server with all my tfc Heart!

PICKACHU GOT OWNED!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
stupid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2002 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well said Sully.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: