FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Sully's tip of the week 3/23/2002
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sully
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K., it took me a while to get over the last tip of the week, so I think we'll go a little lighter this time.

"How to take a thread off topic."

I know that most of you think that you can accomplish this task easily, even skillfully. I'm here to tell you, you're wrong! There is an art, a time honored tradition to taking a thread off topic that needs to be as respected as taking your hat off for the National Anthem. (Do Canadian's take their furry hats off for their National Anthem? Do they just hold their beer toward their flag? You see? I'm off topic already!)
For the purpose of this post, I will abreviate off topic to O.T.

If you're new to going O.T., here are a couple of pointers.

1. Any thread can go O.T. as soon as you start debating about who makes the best donuts. Everybody who post's here will drop everything just to run to their computer and give their 2 cents about Tim Horton's vs. Krispy Kreme.

2. Canada. Not only are they our Great White neighbors to the north, this somewhat innocent country has caused many a promising thread to go O.T. Canadian posts. Watch for them.

3. Competition between couples. CycoMom & CycoDad, Mulisha & Whybkuul, Blown65 and Deathbringer. There's nothing more touching than seeing a couple spat and make up, but it can be devestating to your thread.

4. Machine guns. Just the mention of realtime shooting of machine guns sends JohnDoe into an orgasmic tizzy. There is no defense against this method of O.T. If JD see's something about machine guns, he has to rush to the forum and post, often with no regard to the innocent thread he is stepping on. Otherwise he's O.K.

5. The soapbox. If one of the many boxes strewn about the 'Ville, origonally intended to do nothing more vicious than tote cleaning material from point A to point B, end up on your thread, you can kiss it goodbye. Much like J.D., there is no defense.

There are other experts on thread O.T. out there. Listen to them. You can learn a lot, unless they go O.T!

The Sully says, "Ka-BOOOOM. ehehehe."

[ This Message was edited by: Sully on 2002-03-23 20:04 ]
Whybkuul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMAO!! i love it man! best tip i've ever seen! but, one question, WTF IS UP WITH YOU CALLING ME AND MUL A COUPLE?!? heh
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hoaxie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhyB, would that question be On or Off topic?

I'm confused. (again)

*decides to read Sully's post again*

Donuts, anyone?
Machine Gun!

Good one, Sully.

LONG LIVE THE 'VILLE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
BitterBeerFace

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too will spam alot when a real life machine gun gets mentioned... I don't quite get orgasmic, but "worked up" might be a good way to put it... and as I'm sure some of you have noticed, I can spam the forum alot when I get "enticed"

So in order to take a perfectly good and focused thread and lead it off topic, you should basically babble about something that is relatively common in sociey, (like doughnuts and machine guns) if I read your tip right. That is pretty good advice, but I think taking threads off topic goes against what the Ville's society wants. Well, ok, so maybe the Ville doesn't have a society... hmmm, what really is a society? Is it just a group of people who all have something in common? (like here at the Ville?) Is there a minimum size limit to what a society can be? But how can it be against society's wishes to take a thread off topic when we really don't know who and/or what determines what society wants? Does the majority rule, with respect to the minority, or do we have some arbitrarily handed down rules in regards to taking threads and leading them off topic. It's a well known fact that as soon as you get more than one person involved, at least one person will want something else... it could just be that one or more of the members of the Ville's society actually do want to take threads and lead them astray. Should the Ville's society respect the wishes of the unknown number of the society's members who have differing desires in regards to taking a thread off topic? The members of the Ville's society who may or may not wish to take threads off topic might just be the kilaak invasion force, and they are trying to distract the rest of the Ville's society, so their invasion will succeed more easily. If that is so, then there really are two societies inhabint the virtual space of the Ville: The kilaaks, and everyone else. Does one of these Ville sub-societies have the right and ability to control and dictate to the other society? Would such an attempt to take over break some of the arbitrarily handed down rules? The larger society that the Ville's society is a subpart of would mostly say that no group has a right to control another group against said groups' wishes. This leads to an interesting question: do all sub-societies retain the values and desires of the larger uber-society? If so, then why are doughnuts and machine guns so common in our uber-society? Most members of the Ville's society would agree that doughnuts and machine guns are pretty cool, but are we an accurate representation of the wider uber-society that the Ville's society is a component of? In general, the members of the Ville's society are mostly younger and more technologically capable than the rest of the uber-society. Naturally, there are a lot of people who are younger and more technologically capable than the average member of the uber-society who are not members of the Ville's society, so that would suggest that the Ville's society is actually a sub-society of the sub-society of the younger and more technologically capable members of the uber-society. Maybe the serveral degrees of seperation between the Ville's society and the uber-society can account for the significally different tastes in regards to doughnuts and machine guns? Since all uber-societies must by definition be comprised of numerous smaller sub-societies, there really shouldn't be anything to talk about here anyway, so I'll shut up now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sully
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strangely, I forgot one of the more prominent O.T. techniques.

KILAAKS. These universo-trash have made taking over the earth their #1 priority. The problem is, they've decided to practice by taking over the 'Ville's forums.
Needless to say, their day's are numbered, so we won't have to worry about this particular form of O.T. for long.

Sig courtesy of K.R.G.
Sully
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And as for you BBF...

EXACTLY!

Sig courtesy of K.R.G.
BitterBeerFace

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, thank you

I've exhausted my daily allotment of words, come back tomorrow for more spam.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hoaxie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a society unto myself, which is why I spend a great deal of time talking to myself. I'm not crazy. Yes, you are. No, I'm not. Yes, you are. Well maybe, but if no one else is involved in the conversation who will know that we are crazy? No one I guess. Can we go to sleep now? I don't know, give it a try.

LONG LIVE THE 'VILLE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Warhammer
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're just jealous because the voices talk to me.
OSU Snipe Shocker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitter...*applaudes* that was a fantastic post (I didn't read it but I'm sure it was fabulous.)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BitterBeerFace

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Hi Boss, I won't be coming in to work today, the voices have been telling me to clean my guns, again..."

*takes a bow* You really should read that whole post man, it's sorta like getting high... you just sit there and stare for about an hour in a dazed state...
Powerdroid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-03-24 12:28, Warhammer -TPF- wrote:
You're just jealous because the voices talk to me.

I have a shirt that says that! Its the best shirt ever. The only thing better are the looks I get while wearing it...

FragFailure

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frag covers at least three and maybe four of Sully's OT requirements

1. Donuts****1/2 - Still waiting for Tim Horton's. Who else has a Tim Horton's spray on The Ville?

2. Canada**1/2 - This co-incides with Tim Horton's

3. Couples -***** - UMM NO WAY

4. Machine Guns*1/2 - I'm indirectly involved on this topic.

5. The Soapbox***** - Frag has no equal to the soapbox.

6. Kilaaks N/A - Not a Kilaak member, sorry to disappoint.

Even though I rank high on OT activities. By looking at this list one person stands alone.

John Doe who may cover 4 requirements and maybe 5 if he happens to be one of the Kilaaks. He only doesn't qualify for #3.

The Off Topic All Star Team

Frag
John Doe
Whybkuul
Mulisha
The CyCo's
Roof
KRG
OmegaSIN
any Kilaak gets bonus points

Maybe we should give off topic rankings when someone goes off topic?

[ This Message was edited by: FragFailure on 2002-03-24 15:51 ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Whybkuul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOLY CRAP!! i'm on an all-star team for once in my life! HEY MOM! i'm good at something! i'm gonna have to show my mom this...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hoaxie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhyB, *HOLY CRAP* is mine!!

(grumbles something about plagurists and goes to find a corner to sulk in)

LONG LIVE THE 'VILLE!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: