FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Stealing Caps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Computer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here is somemthing that I have a huge problem with. The other day I was at my friends house while he was playing and trying to help him out, whatever. Pathetically I had to hear one of the comments that I absolutely hate.

"Stop stealing my caps" I believe was the phrase. What made it the most unfortunate was that it was someone in my clan :frown:

TEAM fortress classic. TEAM. Your not capping for personal glory, it's for the good of my the team. I just wish everyone played with the same attitude.

Not going to mention names cause I refuse to flame. But if you do this then you can go ahead and assume that your name is on my $h*t list.

Whybkuul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how is it possible to STEAL anything?? it's a feckin game guys! it isn't as tho we're the school bully beating you up for your milk money! we're doin what we're supposed to do-cap, kill, cause mayhem!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ghanja420

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats kinda funny since when i posted about my argument and said i would not post the name Goldem or whoever tells me i still flamed the person thats pretty funny...

And who is Goldem anyways..
ToRaK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Team Fortress is a team style game. In an Avanti like map it really isn't possible to "steal" someones flag. (Unless you shoot them off the flag return, but that's a different matter entirely.) Play for the team, it's best to get that flag capped so your respawn moves up and your team can continue the offensive.

However, in a 2fort styled map I would consider the possible issue of flag stealing. Now, I'm fine with someone helping me bring back a flag (say I dropped it in the enemy base.) But, if I get killed inside my base and an engy takes the flag I tend to get pissed. I mean, shouldn't he be guarding the base in the first place? It's his fault I died inside my own base. The same is even more true when I get sniped one foot from the cap on battlement and a sniper caps it. This I would consider flag stealing. My viewpoint completely changes if we have someone waiting on flag, then I'm fine with anyone scoring it, as long as they do it quickly. Then it becomes a matter of TPF. I try to give flags back to the rightful owner if I'm on defense and they get killed inside our base. It's the nice thing to do.

ToRaK

DukeNukem
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Computer wrote:
TEAM Fortress Classic. TEAM. Your not capping for personal glory, it's for the good of my the team. I just wish everyone played with the same attitude.

I am going to take this one step further.

[Swipes Frag's soapbox and gets on it. ]

I have this attitude -- I will die to advance the flag just a few more steps. I hate it when I have gotten the flag almost there (within a few steps) and no-one (especially a spy) tries to get it there and it returns to the previous cap point. All that effort for nothing!!! I really enjoy a good save!

The other night I was playing on TV1 and got the flag to within one step of #3. I sent a team message saying that a spy could get it there. Five or six seconds later -- the cap was saved!!! Now that is a good feeling! I feel like all my efforts paid off -- FOR THE TEAM!

I play Medic mostly because my intent is to help the team. In fact for me this is what makes this game fun, the sense of teamwork. I don't play at servers where the players are just in it for personal glory or to get mindless frags! If that is what I wanted I could play deathmatches – DOH!!

WHEW!!! -- Rant over.

[Surreptitiously returns Frag's soapbox. Hopefully he won’t notice. ]

=US-])uke]\[ukem-V=
I STINK, therefore I SPAM!
[doctored Descartes]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghanja hes a newcomer who got into tvb.. thats why hes talking on a high horse
Whybkuul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-03-14 11:36, darkw0r1 wrote:

do i sense a little jealousy Darkie?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stealing caps/ thats about the patheticist thing ive heard.. offense objective : cap1,2,3,4
result: fun

people who complain about this stupid subject=idiots

Paddyjack

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I bring back the flag to our castle and I get killed before capping, I don't care if somebody take the flag and cap it. However I know some ppl care so when I see a flag lying in OUR base I usually guard it to make sure my teammate can take it back safely. If this location is an hot zone dangerous for that flag carrier, I will take it to the respawn and give to the guy, to make sure the flag wont go back.
I do this only because some ppl do care and that I'm basically a nice guy <g>, however I found that this practice may lead to the death of someone who managed to be in the flag room waiting to get the next flag. That few extra seconds may make the difference with the sucess of getting 2 flags in a row.

What I found ridiculous is those ppl complaining about flag stealing when you take it somewhere in the enemy base. You successfully cleared the room, grabbed the flag, but they are saying its THEIR flag because they moved it in the first place. That is pathetic behavior in a team game IMO.

PJ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
CyC0Dad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-03-14 11:36, darkw0r1 wrote:

Actually he is a regular that wasn't around for a bit. He used to play all the time back when I started on the Ville.

And I don't think you can really STEAL a cap in a team game. I have had people offer to let me cap in like well or acropolis when I get it almost all the way there before I die. I just say , NP CAP ALREADY !! since someone is probably waiting to get it again.

In maps like avanti etc I will type "Inches" if I got it almost there. The GOAL is for the TEAM to get the cap and advance. I understand the frustration of the person who almost did it and will usually say GJ x for getting it so close. But feel they really should be happy because they helped make the cap possible.

[ This Message was edited by: CyCoDad on 2002-03-14 12:47 ]
Deathbringer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Computer.. can you please email me on who it was.. {db+ok} is team based and if someone needs to be talked to let us know, thanks.

Hamese
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played Casbah today and was a demo. I went in cleared the flag area, grabbed it, and ran out with it. Then I noticed a scout behind me, so I dropped the flag so he could take it to the cap point.

Point is I did all the work and let someone else take the cap, and not because he asked. Because that is his job/role/function in this game called team fortress.

After that, I was able to go back to their flag area and prevent engi's from building SG's again. Playing smart is always more fun and tons better.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes yes I know what you mean.. I have done that before when I used to play Fatty more.. I cant move the flag fast so let them take it.
Another question??? Does anyone else have the problem of "dropping" the flag on Avanti.. my drop command wont work, so if i get stuck with it I have to run it or just get killed..

Dahak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can't drop flags in avanti. some map thing.
Deathbringer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh thanks.. thought it was just me

(insert doh.wav) hehe

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: