FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Mid-life crisis...what does it entail?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
`RaphX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Mid-life crisis...what does it entail? Reply with quote

Not that it's happening to me or anything (I'm 22 - I have a long way to go), but my wife and I were talking about this last night.

We figured that guys in this situation did things like buy a flashy sports car (which my mother calls a d**k extension), do some sort of extreme activity, from riding a motorcycle really quickly to parachuting, eyeing up younger women (kinda like in Love Actually)... "recapturing youth" stuff.

Naturally, I'm not planning on cavorting with someone 20 years my junior when I'm 45, but my wife did make me promise not to go buying a flashy car if I ever get to this stage...I did ask to be able to spend $4000 on a world-beating PC though, and as many games consoles as I wished

An unusual conversation, but it did make me think - what kind of weird stuff do guys do when they reach that stage in their lives?
IrishMan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, im only 15 so this is just my view on it...dont get me wrong or flame me! Gratzi! But i feel like if the man knows he has lived his life to the fullest, and is happy with most everything he has done, then that stage will never come. just a lesson to all!! Live life out!
Violent Pacifist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I ever make enough money, I'm going to be doing extreme stuff like skydiving until my body won't let me anymore. I've never really seen a problem with these mid-life crisis deals, so long as the person doesn't go and start trying to be cool and hip again. If it makes them feel young, I don't really see the trouble with it. God knows I'd love to have a flashy sports car, even at that age

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
IrishMan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i agree, who WOULDNT want a flashy sports car? and i wanna go skydiving too!!
The Nanite
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad bought a new Porsche, a new Harley, and a new boat. He also got a couple of tatoos and a couple piercings.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting pretty damn close to this whole "mid life crisis" deal, but I would not call it that. I would call it mid life identification.

See, one generally works their ass off while the body is in shape to do so. Eventually, the wear and tear begins to show physically, but in your heart and mind, you still feel like you did when you were 18. You refuse to believe that you are old because you don't feel like it. So damnit, if you're not going to show everyone how young you are ... even if it's only at heart.

Well, that's how I felt, so I went out and bought myself something I've always wanted.
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PilzberryFroBoy wrote:
See, one generally works their ass off while the body is in shape to do so. Eventually, the wear and tear begins to show physically, but in your heart and mind, you still feel like you did when you were 18. You refuse to believe that you are old because you don't feel like it. So damnit, if you're not going to show everyone how young you are ... even if it's only at heart.

Preach on brotha

I'm a little below that age but I decided to have a head start on the whole crisis thingy. It started with the sports car . I am still working on the rest of it.

God Bless You Blue Ruler
Little Miss Hurt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Violent Pacifist wrote:
If I ever make enough money, I'm going to be doing extreme stuff like skydiving until my body won't let me anymore. I've never really seen a problem with these mid-life crisis deals, so long as the person doesn't go and start trying to be cool and hip again. If it makes them feel young, I don't really see the trouble with it. God knows I'd love to have a flashy sports car, even at that age

My Dad is 68 and still racing motocross... Anything is possible if you take care of yourself

Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passing 40, a few things became obvious:
1) You realize that you are no longer immortal
2) Take a little longer to heal from some athletic endeavors
3) Put on ~5 lbs a year quite easily if you are not careful
4) Start to examine your retirement financial planning efforts more closely.

When my ex-boss turned 40 though:
1) Divorced his wife of ~20 years
2) Bought a screaming yellow 'Vette
3) Started wearing more GQ type of outfits
4) Hooked up with an early 20's girlfriend, married her and had a kid.
_-=Did It Hurt=-_
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMH thats me in front ....

But i guess I'm past middle age

<edit> really it is

Cool Sig by KRG. Thx

The Proud, the Few, US-V or The Ville Supporters (V$)!!
Twisted29

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

22 and a wife already? I think you're due for a mid-life crisis already. And you make me feel old

Little Miss, whoa now....crop your pictures!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: