FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Lag
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vulcan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are some ways that I can get rid of my lag? I have lag around 400 - 500 on average. I have a 56K modem. Before you say it, please keep suggestions like get cable or dsl, get a new computer, get a new ISP out of the equation. I would greatly enjoy playing the games at around 200 - 300 ping. I know part of the problem lies in the fact that I am using software video, but I can't get my video card to work in acceleration. It is a Diamond Viper v330 4 Meg AGP card running the riva 128 chipset. I would get another video card, but I don't want to spend the $50 - $100 for a new one, that possibly won't work anyhow. Please offer me some suggestions for lowering my ping.

Snaggletooth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this thread, I posted a dial up config that I had when I was at my parents with AOL.

http://www.theville.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=845&forum=4&9
sSdD

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you use AOL also Snag?? i have to use it and personally don't like it...i can play with a ping of about 500, but not good...and i always get kicked offline for idk y...but what does taht config stuff have to do with lower ur lag??
Vulcan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I am trying it out right now, I am making modifications to the say commands. I will let you know if this helps.

sSdD

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah...but what does ur config have to do with ur lag?? i mean i'd do about anything that i could to get a good ping...i'm probably gettin a new comp soon with DSL so let's hope...but what does that stuff do with ur lag??
Vulcan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't notice a great difference in ping, if anything, I just had problems because I didn't take out enough and it said I was snag, sorry snag for using your identity for a few minutes, it was a mistake. I still would like to get some more help.

sSdD

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well snag...we need ur help?
ToRaK

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, without upgrading your connection you cannot expect to reliably get great pings to server (exp. if the server is generally lag happy). However, it is possible to get playable ping (225-350) by tweaking your config(s). The reason you need two tweak your config(s) is because that is where half-life stores the information on exactly how to connect to the server. Not all servers are the same, so you could possibly need to configs, one optimized for fast servers and one for slow servers.

You might want to consider upgrading your video card, as it can slow your game down. I would definiatly upgrade if your video is choppy. To avoid getting burnt, try to find a store with a good return policy on electronics.

Now to the tweaking of your config. Here are some settings I would look at tweaking.

cl_updaterate XX
default value: 20
suggested value: 15
This setting control how many times a server is to update your computer per second. Higher is better, but produces more lag. Chopiness isn't noticed until around 12. 15 is probably good for a 20 player game on 56k.

cl_cmdrate XX
default value: 30
suggested value: 20-25
Similar to cl_updaterate except this controls your uploading information.

rate XXXX
default value: 9999
suggested value: 3000-5000
Controls how much data is to be downloaded from server. The better your connection is the higher you would want to set this number. If set too high it'll create massive latency. For 56k users values from 3000-5000 are suggested. Be conservative.

cl_rate XXXX
Set to same value as rate. I can't remember which one is used in latest version.

cl_download_ingame X
default value: 1
suggested value: 0
Turns off sprays by setting this to 0. This prevents you from being lagged because someone paints their spray on the wall.

pushlatency
default value: ?
suggested value: -1/2 to -1 * your average ping
Must be a negative value.

Sorry if some of this information is old. I haven't done much tweaking since I got my cable modem. Those are the commands I used most often to help with my lag. BTW, just put those commands in your config.cfg and I think you'll be in business. Hope I helped.

ToRaK

[ This Message was edited by: ToRaK on 2002-03-09 18:06 ]
ToRaK

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a website that has a half-life configuration wizard online. It's a bit old and doesn't include the cl_rate command. If you use it make sure to put the cl_rate command in with the information it suggests.
Heres the link: http://www.tweak3d.net/autoexec/halflife/

ToRaK

sSdD

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx ToR...i will try in a min...so i guess that this should help me out?? do i do these commands in the console command area of where?
ToRaK

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd personally make a text file and put these commands in it. Then, once you have the commands in the text file, change it's name to filename.cfg Then in the console you can activate them using exec filename.cfg I think you could also put it in your configuration (config.cfg), but I liked keeping them seperate so I have less stuff to dig through when I wanted to change a command. If your really l33t you can automatically run filename.cfg when you click on your half-life shortcut by typing "+exec filename.cfg" (w/o the quotes) at the end of your shortcut line.

ToRaK

Oh, and it should help you out some. But there's only so much helping you can give AOL. (HEHE, AOL is terrible for gaming.)

[ This Message was edited by: ToRaK on 2002-03-09 18:27 ]
sSdD

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok will do..yeah i don't like AOL at all....i was gonna write them a complaint.. but since we might be gettin a new comp idc...as long as i get DSL or Cable..anything better than AOL:)
ToRaK

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I forgot, you should "tweak" your modem first. It'll help lower your ping somewhat (and also improve the stability of your ping). (Note: Because you use AOL not all the tweaks mentioned in the guide will help you. Anything that requires you to go to your dial-up networking folder won't be useful.) The guide has some great stuff so go check it out at: http://www.tweak3d.net/tweak/modem/

ToRaK

Vulcan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, what is the best dial-up ISP for gaming?
sSdD

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i went to that first link..and selected all the things and made it...does this sound good to you..this is what i got
gl_d3dflip "1"
r_mmx "0"
r_dynamic "0"
r_drawviewmodel "1"
gl_keeptjunctions "1"
r_shadows "0"
firstperson
gl_ztrick "1"
cl_himodels "0"
s_a3d "1"
joystick "1"
s_eax "1"
_snd_mixahead "0.200"
m_filter "0"
gl_texsort "0"
cl_allowdownload "0"
cl_allowupload "0"
s_reverb "0"
gl_polyoffset "4.0"
texgamma "2.0"
lightgamma "2.5"
brightness "2.0"
r_decals "200"
fps_modem "33"
fps_lan "45"
gl_picmip "0.0"
rate "3000"
pushlatency "-500"
scr_conspeed "3000"
gamma "4.0"

[ This Message was edited by: CuRiOuS gEoRgE on 2002-03-09 18:49 ]
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: