FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
PROBLEM WITH SOUND CARD....

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigCaulk69

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have an avance ac97 sound card and the problems with it have slowly got worse and worse. the sounds are distorted and the volume is different on different applications. like real audio is extremely quiet and winamp is really distorted, but only slightly muted volume. then tonight i tried to reinstall the drivers by finding them online, cuz i dont have the disks here in austin, and the problem seems worse. can anyone here help me with this? should i just go out and by a decent sound card since they are cheap?

i just wanted to add a bit more if it would help any. this distortion problem has happened since i got my new comp, like it would play the IM sound really fast or slow when i got an IM, but that was the only problem and it would happen rarely. but then it just happened more and more frequently and started affecting other programs.
extremely frustrated...
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
BigCaulk69

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone know what to do? or if my sound card might have been defective from the start?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Snaggletooth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the drivers, but that shouldn't make the settings change for every app. I guess I'd recommend getting a new card. SBlive is around 30 bucks.
Bada Bing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try your Directx diagnostics application. It will test all vid and sound stuff and tell you what is failing

Are you threatening me ???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ToRaK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try resetting all sound levels to ~50% max volume. Also, turn bass and treble down to 0%. Then try adjusting the application volume to a comfortable level. If this doesn't help...Is it possible your speakers are on the brink? Maybe it's not even a sound card problem. Hope I helped.

ToRaK

OSU Snipe Shocker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you were cool like me, you would get a Soundblaster Audigy Gamer 5.1...mmmmmmmmmmmm....So good

If you can't swing the $100 bucks for the audigy, I would totally recommend gettin a nice SBLive.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
PyROZen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a SBlive before this sound card, and it is a good sound card for the price. If you can take the $$$ though, definetly get an Audigy. I have one now and it kicks w00t!

"Conc Jumping, my old nemesis..."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BigCaulk69

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh well thanks for the help guys...but nothing has worked. it is a very wierd problem. i went out and got a new sound card, SB PCI 512, and the problem is still there. so i'm gonna try installing windows XP and maybe that will solve the issue.
Snaggletooth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you used the same PCI slot for both cards, if so...try another one if you have an available card slot.
BigCaulk69

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the other sound card was integrated into the motherboard. i disabled it in the CMOS before i installed the SB card.
Snaggletooth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that sucks...maybe it's ::shudder:: the motherboard then.
Bada Bing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO not XP. WIN98 is just fine for gaming. XP is more trouble than it's worth.
Of course that's just my opinion and I could be wrong. (Dennis Miller)

Are you threatening me ???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
BigCaulk69

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i talked to the computer guy at my mom's office and he said it might be the motherboard even though it would be really strange if it was. see the odd thing with this problem is that it has gotten worse and worse. i'm still hoping it is some sort of driver problem.
ToRaK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked to see if your speakers are the problem? I'd do that soon if you haven't.

ToRaK

BigCaulk69

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the speakers arent the problem
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: