FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
New Release: Opinion Poll

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rockman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2001 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering what everyones' overall opinions are of the new release. Personally, I'm not too impressed. Most of the voice transmissions have a lot of echo, are unclear, or just plain messed up. Don't hear many poeple talking at all. Maybe we just haven't had time to adjust to it. The first day I say a lot of servers out there with the old eyeball and checked out the spectator mode. But today I saw only 3 or 4 servers offering spectator on the whole TFC server list! How is it from the server side? Any new twists there?
MunkeyEye
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2001 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually i kinda enjoy the voice stuff. i suppose once everyone gets used to having it around it'll be put to better use instead of the "hellos?" and "test test"
i'm guessing valve is probably launching this in anticipation for TF2.

i hear almost all the players pretty clearly, some more than others but that's probab a configuration thing on the user's end.

however, getting into games has become quite hokey and so has selecting teams and classes. i've been left dangling in the air after selecting a class and the game pretty much goes on around me like i'm in spectator mode but unable to move.

i suppose i was just comfortable with the previous patch that's why...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
YourPowersAreWeakOldMan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2001 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The the patch is horrible so far. Man I hate when companies screw something up when it's already really good. I hear that you can only have a max of 10 people in a game now...WTF is up with that?! If that's true Valve needs to get their heads busted in and fast. As you may or may not know I'm still out in the cold. I've decided to buy the game so I can get back to playing. I miss not being able to play, but I cracked some heads in StarCraft and RUNE tonight just like the good ole days before I knew of TFC.
Tomorrow I Venture to the great valley in which lies a temple of computer goods. It is there I will seek the Half-Life you speak of, and I will come back triumphant.

Last Of The Finest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2001 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-09-21 02:03, YourPowersAreWeakOldMan wrote:
The the patch is horrible so far. Man I hate when companies screw something up when it's already really good. I hear that you can only have a max of 10 people in a game now...WTF is up with that?!

There were more than 10 on last night and tonight. It was quite fun. As for the voice communication, it'll be a great addition, but it'll take some getting used to. On top of that, it needs to be tweaked so we can hear each other fine. Some people come in crystal clear. Others come in sounding like Mickey from "Snatch". You'll know the reference if you've seen the movie

Sweet logo, BTW.

[ This Message was edited by: Last Of The Finest on 2001-09-21 04:26 ]
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2001 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having built lots of computers and installing many programs I can feel for the people who are having problems. On my end Killer and I have had no problems. From the smooth and quick download from the Ville and a rapid install to our machines across the network we were up in about 10 minutes. We set our voice up and practiced in a lan game so it was easy for us to adjust and get familiar with it because we could talk to each other in person as we made our adjustments. The difficult and annoying part is adjusting the voice and game sound levels so you can enjoy each. I'm going to be interested to know how all you married and attached people are going to fare when your mates hear you talking to others for hours. plus it's a little different when your just typing quietly opposed to bring the whole house into your game as you yell anxsiously (spelling) where the hell's the flag or some other statement.

[ This Message was edited by: ROOFCUTTER on 2001-09-21 07:41 ]
erba_knoff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2001 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think i gonna use Voice.
Its bad sound and better to Write

CyC0Dad

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2001 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started out using Roger Wilco several years ago and later switched to BattleCom which has since been purchased by MS and is no longer supported. I found Roger Wilco made people sound like chipmonks on helium but after a few months you got used to that. We stilll use BC and people sound fine for the most part, but every time we get someone new using BC we have all kinds of setup problems. Usually just user errors.

Often it has to do with the quality of equipment. Doesn't have to be expensive but there may be a reason it is under $10. We have some people that never get it adjusted properly. New people usually bring heavy breathing (mic in nose I think) and echos which may be as simple as turning off their speakers or adjusting the sound card features.

Give it time, there is a whole community of newbies when it comes to voice communication. I will probably stick to my BC in the long run, but might join a few times just to check it out and hear how strange you all sound
ApacheEyes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2001 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically in simple terms the new patch SUCKS
In fact its so bad its SUCKS, SUCKS, SUCKS !! If any of you valve guys are reading this, your new patch SUCKS ! Get the picture ??? GOOD !

Last night you had some moron trying to play music down the vcomm... I know some of you are getting a kick out of using the vcomm, but for most of is, it was something we could have done without. RoofCutter - You are absolutely right my wife is NOT going to appreciate me talking across the web for hours on end.

Vcomm aside, I now get even worse lag spikes than before, its added on average 100ms to my latency, which was not great to start off with, and I suspect that every time someone sends a message down, I get "frozen in time" for no apparent reason. What were you guys thinking at valve ????, not all of us can afford to get cable/etc, us poor 56k got screwed over big time, Thanks valve, thanks for nothing.

One very unhappy camper, Ap.

[ This Message was edited by: Apache_Eyes on 2001-09-21 10:56 ]
Demented Avenger

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2001 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being in the audio industry, I may have an answer to the problems listed above. First of all, most of you are probebly using the mic that came with your computer or soundcard. These mics, I'm sure, are not the best available on the market. Most suffer from a problem called proximity effect. That is, the closer your mouth gets to the mic, the more low end frequency information will be present at the mic capsule. This effect can cause most of the unintelligablity most people are complaining about. Try to keep the mic about 3 to 4 inches from your mouth and use a normal speaking voice. Also, Included with the new patch is a voice_tweak utility. You can find it in your HalfLife folder. It does take some fiddleing around to get the game sounds and mic sounds balanced. Unother problem I have encountered is sometimes that the game sounds, explosians, The guys with the scratchy voice who needs a losange & capping music will drown out Vcomm. Don't know what to do about that.

As for the spouse, she sleeps when I play into the wee hours of the morning but thankfully she sleeps like a rock. I have my comp in the spare bedroom so I can have 2 doors between us so I won't disturb her. Sounds good in theory, doesn't it?

[ This Message was edited by: Demented Avenger on 2001-09-21 11:00 ]
FingerDemon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2001 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought you might find this interesting... I surf on a site for Broadband users and have recently posted about my terrible lagging. I noticed that a large number of people have noticed similar if not identical problems with their broadband connections. All around the country, too. Someone was even speculating that some of it had to do with the latest Worm virus Nimda that slowed a lot of Internet traffic down. Made my playing "experience" miserable. And my score... well even MDemsy couldn't have brought me out of the basement. I was downright depressed about it and then today... Magic. I'm back at my regular speeds and everything is good. So, the voice thing might drive us all nuts or perhaps only our spouses, but it might not be fair to blame the big lag on the new patch. At least not for a little while anyway.

This weekend I'll be shopping for a microphone/headset. But I doubt I will use it for more than the occasional comment. I'd rather program keys for typing things like "Nice shot" and "thank you" etc.

FingerDemon
Verman
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2001 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy download from 'Ville. Easy install, launch, and load. Kind of garbled sounds here as well, but can at times hear some people clearly. Was fooled by the lack of icon next to my name. If the bugs are worked out and experience pays off, it'll be an asset to team play both O & D.

Bada Bing

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2001 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Patch didnot fix anything it said it would. Chainguns still rattle on after death, people can still bunnyhop etc. The voice part is mega though and if used correctly can help a team out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: