FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Ranking the Classes - How Hard to Master Them?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharkbyte
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I started the new thread, because there was some confusion of what we were ranking, ease to learn, or ease to master.

Now, here's my 2 cents worth...

Quote:

On 2002-02-27 19:27, YourPowersAreWeakOldMan wrote:

Sniper: Click, Hold, Release, Repeat

I take issue with YPAWOM, and all you others who say that sniper is so easy to master. Have you ever looked at how many 4-28 snipers there are at the end of a map?

Sniper IS easy to learn to shoot someone. However, there is a lot of strategy involved in becomming a master.

Think about this...Sniper is the one class that everyone watches out for, and everyone tries to take out.

If you see a sniper you immediately go into "Evasive" mode. Jumping and weaving, and anything to make us miss. You shoot at us (because you know this can throw off our shots), throw nades, or anything else you can think of.

If we kill you, you know exactly where to look for us. So you come at us from different angles, and different places, and with grenades. You respond to us a lot like sgs, except that we can move away from a rocket or nade.

So it takes a great amount of strategy to anticipate each players next move. And certain players respond certain ways. On Well, Ice_Cube and Dahak will rocket jump and start firing as soon as I'm in view, while doing.keys went to using the water. How many times, do you think, I can kill Dahak before he decides to come through the water, or doing.keys before he tries the center building? And all the while I have to keep other players from getting to our base, and take out enemy snipers. And when Dahak plays against me, it is his purpose in TFC to take me out. I think SilverOne felt the same way, the other night, when I stopped in.

Now, on TV, it gets a little more interesting. Many of the players know my skills, and when I am on they know I am probably going to be a sniper. And I end up becoming a primary target for the opposing team.

Top all of this off with mediocre speed, and poor armor, and it becomes a fairly tough class to play at a 'master' level.

As for running...I, for one, will stand and fight, more often than not. I may have to evade a rocket, or a nade, but either one can take me out in one hit. I only run from hw and pyro. HW because he can kill a sniper with 3 or 4 hits...and pyro because he can block your vision, and any chance of killing him. I have, on occasion, been known to take on a hw with an auto-rifle, but only if it is a newbie hw.

Anyway, like I said, a master sniper is a thinking man (or woman. sry OBH). Not just point and shoot.

Sorry to ramble.

Ok. Now let's hear all your disagreements with this.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i fully agree with you man, sniper IS a really hard class to be GOOD at. i myself would like to take up the spy issue. people think spying is an easy class to play. i must disagree. sure, anyone can change their color, but not everyone can change their color and be unnoticed. Spy takes a lot of skill, and you must be very clever. i have been playing spy a lot the last couple weeks, and trust me, it's not easy.

i'm becoming pretty good at going unnoticed, but it still freaks me out when i have to walk right next to an enemy engi next to his sg, or a hw.. i really hate those spy-chk happy enemies. they ruin my fun time.

Ask any person that has played spy for a while (SilverOne, Frag, etc) it is NOT easy.

oh, and on a side note, if you're on my team, SPY CHECK!

see, here's a story for you. One night i was playing on a team against SilverOne.. silver was a spy, and would disguise as a demo, WHEN WE HAD NO DEMO! i told my team AT LEAST 3 times, if you see a demo, it's silver so shoot it... did they listen? NO! (just to let you guys know, that's what started me on this TVB-H thing...)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blown

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, I know what your saying. But all classes have good and bad and can really change the game. Two bad snipers and its real difficult to hold you ground.

Yes, If I see you on the other team I know that I better be ready, your a fast sniper.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Hamese
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I have an idea. Has anyone ever thought about breaking down the walls and saying All classes take skill. All classes are easy to play, but to be good a any class takes skill.

I mean I can play a spy, it's not really hard. I can swing the knife and kill people. However, to be a great spy takes skill. Along with and HW, Engi, Solly, etc.

Hw's are easy to use, so ar sollys.... run, point, and click (sort of like YPAWOM's sniper quote). To be good takes skill. Do we see a common trend here.

A n00b can use any class and start to kill people, then start to understand how that class is used. Then they gain skills in that class and one day become good/great.

IMO.... it can change, though no likely.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, yeah, Hamese, someone has. I said that in the other thread.

he heh

LONG LIVE THE 'VILLE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Blown

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hamese I think thats what I meant..heh..just didnt say it directly.
Computer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I agree Hamese the thing I was trying to get at with my other thread is personal difficulty I guess I shoud have mentioned that. For some people being good at a certain class comes natural, some people are good at being evasive and play lighter classes. Other people like to have the security of having big weapons and lots of armor.

Like I've mentioned several times now I cannot play light classes for the life of me, scout especially. I prefer going head to head, just my style I guess.

Any class can be played like an idiot, to master any class takes a great deal of skill and time, I should know I've been playing for a really long time (minus about 6 months playing EQ when I didn't see the light of day) but now that I"m back to playing TFC I still havn't become any where near a master at anything, other than getting killed by my mirror dmg

Props to all of you that are great at whatever class, they all take lots of skill, but you chose the class that you've mastered because it suited your skills.
My 2 bytes

oh yea I still hate you Sharkbyte

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hamese
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys for the rant, but I understand what is being said here.

One Big Hoax, thanks for agreeing. I know that you and others have mentioned it in other threads. I have been typing it for months. Everytime someone complains about hw's.

Blown, I think I was typing while you posted. So yes, that is what I got from you.

Computer, The hardest class(s) for me was spy and scout. Conc jumping is not my thing, and pretneding I'm on another team isn't either. I started with solly and engi. Engi was good becuase you were able to stay alive and learn the maps, while helping on D. Then I just started going down the list to play, while reading help posts on the different classes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I prolly should read help posts more often, right now I'm working my arse of at playing demo, I'm getting a little better, but then again I've been playing with Albino every night and I try to halfway watch what he does so that hopefully I can pick up on something.

The other class that I would really like to impove in would be spy, I give it a go every now and again with moderate success.

Before my lengthy exodus from TFC to play EQ and then SC I was getting pretty good at Solly, well pretty good considering I wasn't playing on the Ville, this place has been a huge reality check for me, I used to think I was relatively talented at this game, then I come here and get capped repeatedly by Sharkbyte and realize I've got some practicing to do

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: