FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Need Engy/Avanti help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TargetDummy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I get some advice on how to be properly effective on a non-NeoTF Avanti map as engineer? I play TV IV most frequently because I love the rotation of maps. Maybe I get spoiled with the MG's and ample supply of EMP grenades, becuase while I definitely hold my own on IV, I am not quite so successful on TV 1. I get killed a lot more, I have trouble keeping my SG's up and running and I get a little frustrated. Part of the problem could be that the competition is that much better, and I'm just a whiner but I do think that engy's have a disadvantage without adequate access to a supply of EMP's.

If I play HW, I usually put up pretty good numbers, and do some good team work (spy checking, clearing out rooms, clearing way for cap, etc.), so I don't think its that my reflexes have deteriorated to the point where I just can't compete at that level.

Now, I know that there are some good engy's out there that play on TV 1, and are very effective. Do you have any advice?
Snaggletooth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an engy, but one thing to remember, keep your SG where it can't be shot at from a distance, i.e. don't build in CP 1 unless you have support from your team, at CP 2 don't build on the ledge where the enemy can shoot it from under the awning, I suggest building it at the entrance to the death room just off of CP2, and you shouldn't be able to see your SG from anywhere but right next to CP3. Those are the places where I have the most trouble taking SGs down as a medic on Avanti.
OSU Snipe Shocker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, time and time again I have sniped an SG that was poking out where it shouldn't be. One fully charged rifle shot can take out a lv3 sg, no problem. And the fun thing is, you can usually take the SG out without triggering it, and all you need to do is clip the edge of it.

Also, I agree with on the TV4 thing. I love the map rotation, but I think I am getting spoiled on NEO. I go snipe on TV1 and I wish that I had my Anti-Rocket launcher to save me from those damn sollies. I need to go back to TV1 and re-hone my non-neo skillz

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kazebari?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see... Neo babies. =)

Sure, I can own like SUPERMAN on TV IV, but somehow I'm always drawn back to classical Avanti.

Here's how I think the skill levels are for the TV servers

TV1 = Supah Skill
TV2 = Anyone Here?
TV3 = Bah. This could be considered The Ville Pubby Server
TV4 = Better than 3, A bit worse than 1
TV5 = Same as 4
TGS = TV Regulars Only! Heheh
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click here and here and here

[ This Message was edited by: ROOFCUTTER on 2002-02-19 14:56 ]
TargetDummy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It only takes one time of being blown up by your SG to learn not to place it where a sniper has easy access. I don't think that I've lost an SG to a sniper on TV 1.

Mostly I seem to have problems with spies, medics and soldiers nading my SG, or getting to me when I'm building.

Maybe I'm trying to build too close to the action?
PyROZen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would say the best place for a SG on Avanti is at CP3. Jump off the sandbags at the church back door and build a dispenser ontop of the carpet. Its best to build this dispenser right after you build your CP1 SG. This way, by the time you need to build your SG at CP3, your dispenser will be full. Be warned, this is a fairly difficult jump to make.

"Conc Jumping, my old nemesis..."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TargetDummy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoofCutter - Thanks for the links, that second one was full of advice. I think I need to play more on TV 1. I'll watch other players and maybe ask some of the regulars for advice while I'm playing.

Thanks again.
Kjeldorian Royal Guard 42

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Target here you go! These are my default sg spots!

Hope that helps because it took me FOREVER!

=US-V= Member/Event Coordinator - Retired
<eVa> Founding Father/Leadership/Webmaster - Retired
Ville Admin - Retired
Lin Sivvi Defiant Hero

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are mainly the good places. If you watch most engys will put there sgs there. But be warned, there are a lot of good spys on TV1. Difficult for an engy.
{PHM} KaV

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRG you got my number that is pretty much the same spots I put my sg's, the third screen shot is one of my favorites. I seem to kill alot there. Anyone else go engi on D and spy on O, just wondering

P.S. I'll be out of work fraggin on TV1 in about a half hour see you there.

"They played the game with the bravery of being out of range" -Roger Waters
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good spots but as a soldier I have a solution for them all! now when you have 3 engineers watching each others back its hard to take them all down.
I think the most immportant thing at 3 is dispensers and team work. With dispensers you can get a level 3 sg going in moments. Let them destroy it if they dont attack as a unit Ill have one up before the good guys come back to cap.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROOF, I thought the defenders were the good guys! Damn! Now my whole moral reason for defense has been blown to peices! . . . *sobbing*. . . . .That's it! I'm running the freaking flag!

Ville Admin - Retired
CyC0Dad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-19 20:03, ROOFCUTTER wrote:
I think the most immportant thing at 3 is dispensers and team work. With dispensers you can get a level 3 sg going in moments. Let them destroy it if they dont attack as a unit Ill have one up before the good guys come back to cap.

Dispenser are for Blocking, spy detecting and deadly explosions. Secondarily they give you metal to upgrade SGs. Sg placement by itself isn't as important as it is in relationship to other SGs. But above all a lvl 2 SG is better than 2 lvl 1 SGs and 2 SGs close together don't do any more damage and will most likely get destroyed easier.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two sg's close together are mirv candy! Just think about this: The explosion from one sg will often take out the other by itself! Keep them away from each other. Of course, pub surfers do not often know this so it will happen. I suggest letting him build his sg next to yours, upgrade it, then move your sg.

Ville Admin - Retired
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: