FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
I'm Thinkin about Makin a Website
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sSdD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys, i'm thinkin about makin a web site for my clan ( -:SI:- for those who don't know) and i was wonderin if anyone knew of an easy way to make a good web site...i just want sumtin simple to start with...sumtin like some of these other Clan Sites.. of course like the link that are on The Ville.. like PWG, LB, and BR...or sumtin like that..i'm just wonderin of some way i can make a good site...and if there is anyone out there that knows how to make a good site and could help me make it or sumtin like that.....i hope that someone can give me some help
cstone

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learn HTML first. I suggest doing all work with Notepad, as you will have a better understanding of how the stuff works. I can't speak for the other clan sites, but PWG uses lots of nested tables to organize info and links. Learn all about tables and their attributes. Stay away from Frames, Javascript, and Flash until you get a better understanding of HTML.

As for design, this is just my opinion, but I like simple sites that aren't too flashy. Info should be clear and easily accesible. Also be sure to test your page at different monitor resultions, especially down to 800x600.

Here are some good sites for tutorials and reference:

http://www.w3schools.com/
http://www.htmlgoodies.com/

Once you have HTML down pat, I suggest learning ASP next.

sSdD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thats kewl, anyone know if there is any other way besides HTML, i tried learnin that last year and man did i get confused...but is there any other way..i'll start tryin to learn HTML, but if there was an easier way, then i would love that
Whybkuul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-16 16:01, CuRiOuS gEoRgE wrote:
ok thats kewl, anyone know if there is any other way besides HTML, i tried learnin that last year and man did i get confused...but is there any other way..i'll start tryin to learn HTML, but if there was an easier way, then i would love that

what? i don't think there IS anything easier than HTML.. i learned it when i was like 12.. hehe i've forgotten everything now, but i had made a pretty decent webpage when i first learned it

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Snaggletooth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty much HTML, but FrontPage is really easy to create a site with.
sSdD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, i'm workin on it now, so when i finish it, u guys all gotta tell me how it is...haha this isn't gonna be pretty...hey BR how did u guys do urs??? anyone know how they did it b/c i like their format
sSdD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i know this maybe askin alot... but is there anyone out there that would maybe be willing to help me out, like tutor me with the HTML...like if they have IM then we could just talk over that and they could help me out....i would really appreciate it if anyone would be willig to help me to do this...
sSdD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i'm gettin it really slowly, but it is comin, but man o man is that stuff confusing, but i'm gettin it, i'm just tryin to figure out how to make is like all these others, with forums, sideward scroll bar, or the overhead bar like here at the ville, speakin of, Rob or anyone, how was this site made, with HTML??
cstone

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Rob is using PHP for this site. PHP however requires PHP software to be installed on the web server. That might be kinda hard to find for free.

HTML is very easy to learn. Probably easier to learn than FrontPage actually. Dont worry about forums and the other stuff you mentioned, since you are just begining. Give those sites I listed a read if you need any help.

sSdD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i'm workin on readin the first one u said, the W3 one, it is pretty good and gettin me there, but i would of course like it if i could have someone in person tell me what i want to konw specifically...and hey cstone..are u in charge of PWG's site?? j/w b/c i saw ur name under some of the update things when i was lookin there
hoaxie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTML is easier than using Front Page in some aspects. But it depends on what your used to. If you play around with anything like Publisher, Front Page will be a snap. Of course, I am with cstone in saying that you should learn HTML. Regardless of the fact that there are Web design programs out there. I have Front
Page, but knew HTML before I got it. I find that I constantly click on the HTML tab and tweak the script. I think starting out with anything prior to learning HTML is like running before you crawl. And yes, HTML is easy.

IMH (yeah, right!) O
:lol:

[ This Message was edited by: one big hoax on 2002-02-16 22:10 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
BitterBeerFace

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my 2 cents worth on how to make a website... keep it simple, and easy to navigate. I don't wanna catch too much flak for this, but the Ville's navigation bar should have more stuff in the pull downs... you have to drill several layers deep to get anywhere... a general rule I was taught was that if you can't find something with 3 links, it's buried too deep.

As for making the code, you can make decent sites without much knowledge of html by using plain text editors, but if you need a proggie to do it for ya, front page should work... I used netscape navigator gold 3.01's editor way back in the day, and I really liked it... it didn't put little 'turds' all over you code.

Also, if you can't build all your pages at once, put a generic "Page still under construction" page at the end of all the dead links... just a common courtesy thing there
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cstone

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah George, I'm head web-monkey at the PWG site. If you have questions, just post a link to your site here, and I might be able to help you out.

P.S. I don't know if this company is still around, but http://www.brinkster.com used to offer ad-free web space, and they also support ASP scripting. Check them out if you need a free place to host your site.

FingerDemon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how much you want to dig into HTML there George. But if you want to go super easy and simple, there are some sites that allow you to make your own webpages with their easy to follow instructions. CNET.com had something on their site about it, I remember. Of course, it won't have the cooler features and all that, but it might give you a good template to start from. And obviously, you can look at the source code from a site with the features you want and mimic the way they do it too.

Good luck,

FingerDemon
hoaxie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great suggestion, Finger. I forgot about that. Curious, if you are using Internet Explorer, go to *view* and then to *source.* First, make sure you are on a pretty simple Web page to ensure that you can identify what you are looking at. That will show you all of the HTML coding for that page. Another good suggestion is going somewhere that gives you free space and use their templates. Then, as you learn HTML, you can use their advanced editors. You have some pretty good suggetsions here. And if it is your first time, using someone who has ads on their page wouldn't be so bad, especially if you are just using them to practice. You can always grab your HTML from there and put it some place else later. http://www.geocities.com and http://www.angelfire.com offer such sites.

Good luck!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: