FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Tayconc Tips
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buford Pusser

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay all you d*mn soccer players out there, this is the place to post your tips for tayconc. I was thinking that you guys could let us lead footers know a little bit about the map, total number of jumps, tips to complete each jump etc.

Now for your only tip from Buford "Lead Boots" Pusser: If you see a player ingame that has a soccer ball... throw things at them and curse them, because it means they have completed tayconc!!

Just kidding around. My REAL only tip is:
Find a soccer player and let him see how bad you are and chances are that he will stop and help you. (he will probably notice this without your help, right after you conc him off the map) Just be patient...he will come.

Kjeldorian Royal Guard 42

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I see you in tayconc Buford, we'll have to play some kickball. It's much more fun that actually getting the ball! hehehe Hmmm when is that dodgeball mod for half-life going to be done?. . .

=US-V= Member/Event Coordinator - Retired
<eVa> Founding Father/Leadership/Webmaster - Retired
Ville Admin - Retired
Twisted29

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, you can complete the map without a soccer ball. You have to take a little side-trip to pick one up. A most PAINFUL sidetrip too I might add. But thats the price you pay to LOOK important running around the map. An important to remember though is that if you complete the map you don't lose your ball So if you see someone with a ball near the beginning, chances are they've completed the map.....at least once

Buford, heres a run down on all the jumps in Tayconc, hope it helps

Jumps 1 & 2

These are the most basic jumps on the map. The objective is to get out of the street and down the hole. Both of these jumps require hieght over distance, so if you stand a step or two in front of your conc and jump as its going off, you should have no problem clearing the crates.
Things that may help you if your having problems:
Throw your conc right against the object you're trying to conc over (the crates for jump one, the wall for jump 2) ystand right on top of it and jump as it explodes. Keep holding forward while your in the air, that was you'll push yourself over the object as soon as you have enough height. This way you don't have to worry about distance vs. height.
If you're having a problem with the stagered crates on jump one, use the ledge to the right of jump 1. Get on this and you can walk past the crates. It may save you some effort.
There is a bag between jumps one and two. Look around, its hidden in a corner right past the crates from 1. Ive seen people use all of their conc on 1 and resort to grenades on 2. You don't need to! You REALLY don't want to kill yourself on a conc map....trust me

Jump 3

Fall down the hole. It won't hurt that much. Unless of course you use a grenade to get up two and yo're low already. In that case stay towards the middle of the shaft and make sure you hit the water first, that way you won't take any damage.
This is your first water jump, so things a are a little different. Swim all the way to the end of the corridor. You need to conc yourself out of the water. Easy you say? I have trouble with this one sometimes, maybe its just me. If you just drop the conc, you wont be pushed up, because the water is too deep. This is the first time you need to prime!! Hold the conc for a beep or two, then let it fall. This way its not sitting on the bottom of the water when it goes off. Another important thing to note, you have ot be at the top of the water when it goes off. If you're not...you're just going to get dizzy. Water fricition is pretty high in TFC, so the closer you are to the surface the more hieght you're going to get.

Jump 4

More crates!! This one can be a total pain if there's a lot of people around. The objective here is to get to the top of the staggered crates, and then onto a ledge (also with crates on it). You have to be precise with where you throw your first conc here. You want to put it far enough towards the crates so that you wont hit the ceiling when you jump up (look up, low ceiling, argh!), but far enough from the crates that you can get some vertical distance as well. If your conc is right against the crates, then you will only be able to get up one at a time. Since there are five levels of crates you need to get up, you're not going to be able to carry enough to get up at that rate! Try to get up 2 or 3 crates on your first one. That way you can get take it nice and easy the rest of the way. When it comes to getting on the last ledge, I prefer to be on the topmost crates, even though you can make the jump from the next lower level. When you jump on the ledge, CROUCH! Its the only way you'll be small enough to make it onto the ledge. The jump isn't nearly as bad as it looks. Just hold crouch and forward, you'll squeeze in as soon as you get the height. Another thing that might help. If you keep running out of conc while you climb the stack, stand on the grenade pack when you throw the first conc. The pack will respawn after you throw it and you'll have an extra conc to work with. One conc can make a difference!

Jump 5

Ah, the hated canyon jump...and my personal favorite. It look pretty damn high, but its nothing compared to the height you CAN get off of a properly executed double conc. For those of you who have never done a double conc jump before, you're going to spend some time here. It takes some practice. Throw your first conc right against the canyon wall. Either the front (the wall with the entrance on it) or either side will work,because all of these walls have a ledge on them that you can land on. PStart priming your second conc on the first beep of the one you threw. Jump over the first one so that your at the heighest part of your jump when it blows. Let go of your second conc about half a beep before ti goes off. If you're not getting enough height, let go of the second one sooner. If you're missing the second one completely, let go of it later. You have to find a happy medium there. While this jump gives people a lot of trouble, its also one of the most straightforward jumps around.

Jump 6 & 7

These jumps require some serious distance. Up until this point, all the jumps have required more height tham distance, so its time to change gears. Throw your conc so that it lands as close to the edge as you can get it. Then jump off the ledge so that your past and near the same horizontal plane as the conc when it detonates. You will have to be a bit above the conc when it goes off too, just to maintain your hieght. Both of these jumps use the same principle, so if you can do one, you can do them both. Some people (me included) use a double conc to get past the second one. However, both can be done off of a sinlge conc. If you're having trouble with distance however, you might want to try ysing doubles to get across (see next set of jumps). However, if you opt for this make sure to have four concs on you. Use the pack sitting technique already mentioned to get this.

Jumps 8 and 9

These are pretty similar to 6 and 7, but are a bit longer. If you've gotten to these, I'm sure you've noticed . Both of these jumps require a double conc. Doubling for distance is a little harder than for height (says me). Throw the first conc the same way you did for the last couple of jumps. Prime your second conc on your first beep. Make sure to focus on getting distance out of your first conc, so jump way in front of it. Face forwards and look straight down while you're in the air. Drop the second one about a third of a beep before it blows. This will giv eit enought time to fall below and behidn you. It will give you a little more height than distance, dont be surprised if it hurls you high into the air. Jump 8 isn't too hard, it will give you a little pratice at the whole double concing ideal. Jump 9 IS difficult. Its a good deal longer and you have to be right on to get it. I wish I could tell you more, but only practice will help you here.

Jump 10

You're back into the water. Missed it, didn't you? This one is a lot like jump 4, but with let stuff in your way. Theres a low ceiling here too, look up and keep track of where it is. Drop your first one right on the edge of the ceiling and swim up to the surface. You should be able to get all the way to the top step with one conc. Now for the tricky part. The ledge up above is pretty high, and its hard to get with one conc because you have to get just the right distance to height combination. And if you miss, fall back in the water. Bah! One thing you dont have to worry about is making it in the hole in the fense. The enough of a ledge along the entire length that you can land on. You just have to be careful walking the hole, because falling off would suck. I've been told that you can jump OVER the fense as well, but I dont think i've ever gotten high enough to test that. Now, to get through the fense there are two ways that i've found.
-Use a double conc, one to throw you stright up, then look striagh towards the back wall and let go of the second one just as it blows. The second one should push you almost completely horizontal. Its tricky. I don't use this one much anymore.
-Use a grenade. I don't recommend using these things often. That goes for double here, because you're most likely not at full helth when you get to this jump. However, if you're over 70 health you can try this (if you miss though try to fall in the water, just in case). Throw a gren down and you use it just as a conc. You can get higher off these things, so you can make it all the way up in one. It might take some work to get your angle on it just right, but I think this is the easiest way to get through it.

Jump 11, 12, 13, and the Soccer Jump!

Yes, I realize that I'm starting to group these things together, but if you've already gotten here, then there isn't too much more that I can tell you. 11 is another horizontall double conc. 12 is a vertical double conc. and 13 is another horizontal conc. When you approach 13 it will look daunting, just because you are already so high. Its a loooong fall. And you spawn back at 11, argh!If you complete 13, look back to where you came from. See those faint glowing things? Soccer balls and map credits. If you don't mind risking ending up back at 11 again, take a shot at them. Its a long double horizontal conc though. Not for those faint of heart.

All those multiple jumps sound like a pain? They are! Here my way to shorted them. Skip 12 and 13. You can jump right past them! When you get to 11 (the first long conc) do a double jump straight up. Theres a little ledge you have to end over, but its the same place that 13 ends at! Its a little trickier (gmr?) but it can save you some time if you're lazy. If you cant get this to work, it may not save you anytime and you might want to try to do it the normal way.

Jump 14

One of the most bizarre jumps on the map. Your in a long shaft with a fan on the bottom. It causes the gravity in the shaft to be lower, which is good....because you have to go up a long way! Throw the first one down on the fan and prime the second on the beep before it blows. You should just be starting to slow down when the second one is about to blow. Let go of the second one a fifth of a beep or so before it goes off (or, just before it blows for those who aren't as anal about precision as me ). This will give you plenty of height. The exit to this jump is on the near side of the shaft. (Go onto the fan, turn 180 degrees, thats the wall you want to be against...the exit is over there).

Jump 14 (or the FINAL JUMP!)

Nope, not even giving you a hint here. FInd out for yourself I can't give away EVERYTHING!
Warhammer
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some of my tips, in addition to The Gospel Accordng to Twisted29..

Jump 4

I try to get up 2 levels with my first conc on this one. Then I toss the next conc against the wall so it ends up on the level below me. If you jump when it blows, you can get up to the top crate with it. Then conc or grenade up and out.

Jump 10

Apparently it's possible to steer your way out of the water and make it up to the fence on one conc. I haven't seen anyone do this nor have I done it myself, but you can get the right height off it. Personally I conc out of the water and use a normal grenade, crouch at the peak, and that puts me up and OVER the fence with about 25 life to spare.

Jumps 11-13

The trick to these jumps is that once you get up to the top level, you have a low ceiling to contend with. You really have to master the horizontal conc such that you don't lose altitude. I personally try to go up, then across for the soccer ball. That way if I jump too short I end up on the platform on the other side, where you can again double conc up to get the ball.

Jump 15

I've finished this straight out of the water, or from the top platform. I haven't been able to do it from the second-highest platform.

Warhammer concs at The Ville
John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice for Tayconc is to go in when a friendly admin is there and ask or beg them to lower the gravity. It makes the jumps easier to do and as you get better you can slowly return the gravity to normal.

I started at 180 (the low grav setting I use for TB) then moved up to 300, then 500 and now I can do most of the jumps (except for 1) at normal gravity (800).

JD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, good post Twisted. I have actually completed Jump 10 in one conc, and here's how I did it.

Jump 10
face one of the sides of the pool, make sure you're right under the edge of the low ceiling. Prime a conc and let it go after the first beep. Make sure you're on top of the water and jump as the conc goes off. You'll need to do a bit of aerobatics to complete this in one shot, make sure to be looking up as you take off, so you avoid hitting the walls. You'll need to turn and face the direction of the top ledge so you can get into the gap there. Crouch as you approach the top to ensure landing on the ledge, and not back in the water. This will take a few times to get the height right. Once that is covered, it's really easy to make it. Hope that helps.
thewz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-09 21:02, JohnDoe wrote:
My advice for Tayconc is to go in when a friendly admin is there and ask or beg them to lower the gravity. It makes the jumps easier to do and as you get better you can slowly return the gravity to normal.

I started at 180 (the low grav setting I use for TB) then moved up to 300, then 500 and now I can do most of the jumps (except for 1) at normal gravity (800).

JD

But not everyone sucks at tfc, jd...

rAT bOY

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this a lot easier than doing long double conc jumps. It involves a conc and a regular grenade. You throw a conc on the floor, then prime the grenade. At the last moment of the conc beep, jump off facing forward. You'll fly, and in the air, the grenade will explode, sending you even farther and a little higher. You dont have to drop the grenade while in the air, unlike the concs. I've done all the long jumps in tayconc with this. I forgot who I got this from, but thanks for the idea!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Buford Pusser

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tips guys! keep em coming. I am making some headway on this map...I played a lan game this afternoon and reached the fence jump and then had to quit to go out this evening...trying again tonight. Thanks for all the great tips.

Twisted29...you went beyond the call of duty once again...much appreciated!

[ This Message was edited by: Buford Pusser on 2002-02-10 01:16 ]
Buford Pusser

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After repeated attempts at the "Fence Jump",
Led Pusser has one bit of advice for the noobs...if you exhaust all of your concs, and feel like trying a tip for using the ole conc/nade jump...don't try it just yet, if you fail...you die! and thus you respawn at jump #1. :smile:

[ This Message was edited by: Buford Pusser on 2002-02-10 02:10 ]
Warhammer
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I've failed a 'nade jump at the fence in my day, and if I crouch and jump I don't take enough damage to die if I fall. In fact, any time I am grenade jumping (conc or otherwise), I always crouch through my jump.

kazebari?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, for Jump 10 (the fence jump) all I do is jump the two steps with 1 conc, then double conc from the corner (making sure i get a little bit more height than distance) and I land on the ledge. slowly and carefully i walk across the ledge along the fence and I'm in. =) So easy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This map wasn't hard at all. IF you ever want to try a conc map that is impossible, check out concquest_r. I have never beaten this map. Even low grav it's hard as hell... I would not say to put it on the server but if you ever wanted to see an impossible map that looked cool, concquest_r is it.
Twisted29

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a request for 'Twisted Tips' for concmap_r? But seriously, I am all for a new concmap on the Grudge (after Buford gets through Tayconc of course )
Buford Pusser

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thought Twisted...actually I'm almost through with Tayconc. I have SEEN the soccer balls!!! Haven't quite made the jump though. Still 13 - 15...only been there twice...but it willl come!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: