FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Any good fiction book suggestions?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malanthros

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Any good fiction book suggestions? Reply with quote

Well I read a novel a week. And so I burn through them pretty fast. Luckily my whole family is almost as bad as I am, and have been reading for much longer then I have, so I have a fair bit of books to read. But they seem to be coming to an end, so I have to ask, does anybody have any suggestions for a good read?

I'm looking for somethign in paperback if possible, cuz I'm kinda poor, lol. I've read a lot of books about killers and detectives, and like scientific thriller stuff, and whatever. I'm happy if theres action.

So any suggestions?

Thank you Loka for helping me realize my dream of having a Sig.
The Tiju

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im a fan of the classics...u should read "The Count of Monte Cristo"....thats my favorite book ever

maybe try Catcher in the Rye...u'll either love it or hate it

"The Three Musketeers" was amazing

"The Once and Future King"...its extremely long but if ur into the Arthurian Legend u'll love it

Harry Potter anyone?

"Never Fear The Tiju is Here"
Hamese
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is this reading that you speak of?

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful and full of information. One of the only things I read is the internet, and I have not finished it yet, so I do not know how it ends.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like sci fi, try Stephen Baxter. I really liked 'Manifold Time', and 'Manifold Space' and 'Voyage'. A lot of really nerdy science thrown around but still fun to read.

My favorite crime/police writers are Jonathan Kellerman and Joseph Wambaugh. Jeffery Deaver writes some fun detective type stories that are great for long plane trips.

Greg Bear's 'Sons of Earth and Power' series are pretty mind blowing.
I never cared for Stephen King, but the seven Dark Tower books are really fascinating. Then again i've read all seven 'Dune' books, so i'll read just about anything.

Homer Simpson
mUj0
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try any book by FranK Peretti, he is a "Christian Fiction Writer" , but he doesn't preach in the books, they just have no swearing. Most of his books are science fiction/fantasy oriented. A few good ones are: "The Oath", "The Visitation", "Monster", "This Present Darkness".

A good way to buy books Mal....www.half.com I kid you not. I ordered 5 books and paid less than $20......AFTER SHIPPING! Of course..they're all used. But still, the majority of them are in fine condition.

Have you ever read "Lord of the Rings" ?? Thats a classic you can't miss.

Micheal Chrichton is a good author too if you like the Sci-fi/fantasy/technology theme. People may laugh, but "Jurassic Park" is one of my favorite books.

And then there's the books that you read when you feel like reminicing of your childhood: "Chronicles of Narnia" by C.S.Lewis.

Hope some of these suggestions help.

Colossians 2:20 "You have died with Christ, and he has set you free from the evil powers of this world. So why do you keep on following rules of the world"
Nuckin
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jurrasic Park is a great book! I haven't had much time for anything but I enjoy some of the old stuff when I get a chance Voltaire books are good! Lord of the rings must read!!!

Sometime's the lights all shinin' on me, other times I can barely see, lately it occurs to me, what a long strange trip it's been!

~Jerry Garcia
John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucifers Hammer.

Anything by David Gemmell.

Perhaps the Dune series by Frank Herbert? the Lord of the Rings? Anything by Guy Gavriel Kay.

JD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm reading the inferno by dante...

after that i'm going to go non fiction and read my book son serial killers.

StrontiumDog
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh Frank Herbert is good. Jack Vance too.
As Tiju says, some of the classics are always worth reading. Jules Verne is great stuff!
If you want a laugh, anything by Douglas Adams or Terry Pratchitt.

"Oh Smeg! What the smeg's he smegging done? He's smegging killed me!" Lister, Red Dwarf
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
You'reinSoup

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orson Scott Card?
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read several really good books (if you like anything about WW2)

I just got done reading Flags Of our Fathers By James Bradley. If you dont know much about the Flag raising on Iwo Jima I recomened you read this book. There is a lot about it that I really didnt know.

I also just finished Band Of Brothers by Steve Ambrose, and Beyoned Band Of Brothers By Maj. Dick Winters. I basicly knew both those books from watching the HBO mini series but it was still worth the read.

The next book im starting is FlyBoys by James Bradley( not the same as the movie that just came out) its about WW2 bombers

But If your not in to the war books read some good old Steven King IT was one of my favoits of all time

"Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans." John Lennon

"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted." John Lennon
Malanthros

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet guys, thanks for all the suggestions. If people have more keep em coming.

And since lots of people mentioned it, I have read Lord of the Rings. I had seen a trailer about the movies about 3 years prior to the first coming out, then I never heard about the film again till at least two years later. I talked to my english teacher about it and she told me it was a trilogy of books. So i picked em up and had all the knowledge before the films even came out. I'm still upset there was no Tom Bombadil in the movie.

And I agree on the Micheal Crichton thing. I burned through a bunch of his books not long ago. Prey, State of Fear, Jurassic Park. I love that his Jurassic Park books arent exactly like the movie, so even if you saw the movie, its worth the read too.

Thank you Loka for helping me realize my dream of having a Sig.
mUj0
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I as well, was upset about the non-inclusion of Tom Bombadil. He was an integral part of the Trilogy. I do however, see where Peter Jackson was coming from when he did not include Tom Bombadil....He would have had to add another half hour to the first movie, and probably 10-15 minutes to each of the others.

Colossians 2:20 "You have died with Christ, and he has set you free from the evil powers of this world. So why do you keep on following rules of the world"
l3eeron
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read wayyy to slow to take on books. But, I did read one book (for leisure, not school or work). A Breif History of Time by Stephen Hawking. No action, no characters, just facts about the universe we live in. It does bring up lots of things to debate about with your friends and foes. The book was written so morans like me can still understand the insanely complex processes that make the universe what it is today. Hawking is my friggen hero, cheers to you buddy #Beer

eternalVillealliance
loka

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malanthros wrote:
Sweet guys, thanks for all the suggestions. If people have more keep em coming.

And since lots of people mentioned it, I have read Lord of the Rings. I had seen a trailer about the movies about 3 years prior to the first coming out, then I never heard about the film again till at least two years later. I talked to my english teacher about it and she told me it was a trilogy of books. So i picked em up and had all the knowledge before the films even came out. I'm still upset there was no Tom Bombadil in the movie.

And I agree on the Micheal Crichton thing. I burned through a bunch of his books not long ago. Prey, State of Fear, Jurassic Park. I love that his Jurassic Park books arent exactly like the movie, so even if you saw the movie, its worth the read too.

read the da vinci code again and give me your angels and demons book

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: