FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Respawn Camping

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> F-A-Q
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twisted29

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2001 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight in the 'ville I was merrily knifing my way through enemy lines when I was struck down by two words. "Respawn Camper."

Now, I'd hate to be thought of as a respawn camper, but there are times where I use the enemy respawn. When I'm a spy I find it a good place to stock up on health and armor, as well as change direction to attack the enemy from behind. I realize there is a difference between good strategy and cheap kills. But where should this line be drawn?

For instance, its accepted that you can snipe or nailgun attackers in there first respawn, as long as you don't go through the gates. But on attacking respawns 2 and 3 there seem to be no general guidlines. I often take out sgs in these respawns because I tend to jump through them alot (something like jumping off cap2 and going up the ladder) is this a bad thing that I should be avoiding? Should I not enter respawns for any reason even if I don't attempt to kill? If you're running through a respawn and someone attacks you, can you defend yourself? I started thinking about these sorts of things and got worried, it all seems to be quite confusing. The easiest way would be to judge camping by intent, not kills...but we really can't tell anyone's intent in the ville. I think a general set of guidelines would be helpful, to clarify the whole respawn camping issue. Let me know what you guys consider acceptable and not. I really don't want to be thought of as someone who goes for the cheap kills.

[ This Message was edited by: Twisted29 on 2001-09-08 21:01 ]
cstone

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2001 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my opinion:

Players should be able to go where ever they please, Provided that they Don't kill anyone who just spawned.

Once again just my opinion, but these scenarios I think are okay:

1. Entering enemy respawn to steal grenades and health

2. Following someone into their respawn. As many admins have said, the rule exists b/c newly spawned players are disoriented in the respawn. Anyone running back is fair game.

3. Crossing the arches while CP1 is being attacked. I've seen the source map for Avanti, and the spawn entities are all located around the corner from the ladder. Therefore the only area that should be protected is the area around the corner by the (useless) ladder.

And just to throw in some more of my spare change... I think the rule should be changed from 'no respawn killing' to 'no infecting or building SGs in the respawn'

Of course all that above is how I would run a server... I can't do that of course, so I'll continue to abide by the 'Ville rules.
John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2001 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you can check out the rules I wrote at http://www.theville.org/respawn. That may help, I am due for an update but I have not got there yet.

You can travel thru any respawn area as long as your not attacking anyone or anything. So going into the upper respawn for nades and health is ok, traveling thru to take the SGs at CP3 is ok too. Now if your traveling thru the upper respawn (I assume on way to 3 to get SG's) that respawn is the corridor behind the church. In that corridor its hands off, but once your out of it your free to defend or attack as you see fit. But you cannot spam the respawn point with nades or gas, thats not allowed.

Does that help?

And for what its worth Twisted, I was there and I had seen what you were doing and there was nothing wrong.

JD

[ This Message was edited by: JohnDoe on 2001-09-08 21:34 ]
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2001 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I was one of those that called you a respawn camper when I first saw you going into it. But as I was following you I saw that you indeed did not kill but grabbed a bag and than ran towards the ladder area before knifing. I was the pyro trying to flame you. (got you once or twice on ladder as you worked your way up the group:) So I was attacking you from behind when I could catch up to you.
What I've been told and practice is even if you find yourself in an enemy respawn make a beeline out of their and don't take advantage of anyone. If attacked just keep running until clear. Of course these are my interpetations and I'm sure the Admins will clear this up.
Twisted29

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2001 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the official word JD, it did help. I'd never seen that page and it did clear up a lot of questions. The line still is a little unclear, but thats just one of the vauge points of the game.

Hope to see you all on the 'ville
Maian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2001 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I have a question. Sometimes, we have just started attacking, and were going for CP1. As a demo, sometimes I am able to make my way to the church for an early breach. Then, I go into the snipers tower, and shoot pipebombs down towards the balcony, hopefully killing anyone that walks over my pipebombs. Keep in mind, Im not in the respawn, im behind it, and I dont throw pipebombs into respawn, I throw them past it. Now, is this respawn camping?

Sick Cycle Carousel
Lifehouse
No Name Face
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bakuryu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2001 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be the same as throwing gas grenades or napalm grenades to prevent them from leaving their spawn. Personally I don't see how someone would be stupid enough to walk on a bunch of pipebombs near their spawn, but there are some reallllllly stupid people out there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Maian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2001 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, if you lay them in a high-traffic area, they will most likely walk over it. And they think that it is their own demos pipebombs, because what would an enemies pipebombs be doing there. And actually, its pretty far from the respawn: its where you jump down from the balcony to that area (sg graveyard and spies path). So, im not catching them while disoriented. Anyway, I just wanted to teach people how to do an early breach, and then what to do after.

Sick Cycle Carousel
Lifehouse
No Name Face
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Meat Juice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2001 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been begging for forgiveness for some time for being ignorant of Respawn Camping and getting banned in Avanti 1. I thought it was a brilliant startegy to hide and lob grenades on those spawning below. The tough love approach certainly curtails the practice although I think... at the risk of being obvious, everyone should get a second chance.
John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2001 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what its worth nearly everyone gets a warning in the game if an admin is present. If there is a regular player on the server (and there usually are several) they tend to tell the offending player what they are doing wrong. It the person ignores the warnings then they are gone, its that simple.

They can read the MOTD on their way in, if they dont its at their peril.

The admins here try to make the server fun for everyone, thats why we have so many regular players. They like the place, they have fun here and they dont have to deal with the amount of llamas that they would run into on another server.

JD
Meat Juice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2001 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point taken.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> F-A-Q All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: