FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Yet another reason to hate EA
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Yet another reason to hate EA Reply with quote

Quote:
Game publisher Electronic Arts Inc. announced yesterday that it has inked deals with two ad companies that will stream live advertising into its games.

Players of the latest version of EA's Need for Speed see the same billboard ads on the side of the virtual roads whenever they play the street-racing game. But with live ads streamed via the Internet in the next version of the game, players could see different ads every time they turn the game on.

In-game advertising company Massive Inc., which was acquired by Microsoft Corp. this year, will be streaming ads into Xbox 360 and PC versions of that game, along with up to three other EA titles, which were not announced.

"Some areas naturally support the advertising," said Chip Lange, EA's vice president of online commerce. "If you drive around an urban environment and there's no advertising, the space feels naked -- and if the advertising is dated, the game feels old."

The privately held IGA Worldwide Inc. will stream advertising into EA's coming futuristic war game, Battlefield 2142, scheduled for release later this year. That company will also provide advertising in two other coming EA games, which were not announced yesterday.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/31/AR2006083101475.html

I don't want to be playing BF2142 where its set over 100 years in the future and see advertisements for products of our time. It might work out alright if it was a product here to stay (like coke), if it had a futuristic ad campaign and the ad itself has some battle bruises on it.
loka

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eh who cares? I'm sick of playing sport games with corny ads like "Hurts Donit" with a Dunkin' Donut logo and "Mess" with the Hess logo on it.

Thats just corny

all-star

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with loka who cares??

if they make more a profit im all for it.

more profit cause they will get revenue from it = more developers\longer contracts for developers = possibly better and greater games to play

its not like people will be paying attention to them anyways

when im playing NFS i don't have time to look at the billboards passing by cause im going so damn fast

and for BF2142 im gonnna be looking at my target instead of staring at the walls with ads (unless im wallhacking)
Lt.Tango
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EA is not evil they are just doing everything they can to make money....I think that most of us will say that they will do anything to make money as long is was not against there personal beliefs. If some would would pay me i would drive around with ads on my car. Its just a way too make more money.

"Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans." John Lennon

"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted." John Lennon
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that real ads should be placed where fake ads are normally placed, but they in no way should be added in when they're not saposed to in the first place. It shows that they don't care about thier customers that they would degrade the quality of thier final product to make some more cash.
all-star

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
but they in no way should be added in when they're not saposed to in the first place.

i don't think you have any proof in your comments and you are just letting your boycottingness of EA get the best of you

who said that Ads should never be allowed in games? ive never seen a law passed. its the developers game in the first place, and they can do what they want. Aren't their statistics saying that an average human is confronted with over 100 advertisings a day, whereever they go? so why can't in game be a part of that, whats another 2-3 ads more a day lol.

and like i said i doubt it will affect or harm anyones performance in any game.

Mike wrote:
It shows that they don't care about thier customers that they would degrade the quality of thier final product to make some more cash.

What?!? like i said, your comments to me seem a bit too irrational and fueled by your reason to hate EA which i don't know why
Mike

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

none of us have actually seen the ads ingame so we'll have to wait to see how well (or not so) they're implemented.

As for why I already hate EA, here's a copy and paste from what a told someone else.

Quote:
They force thier workers to rush thier games because of the insanely small development times they give them and alot of games published like those turn out to be crap. The only dev groups that they dont do this to are the ones that have made tons of money off their past games and then came to them like cry tek and DICE. They contributed alot to BF:veitnam and realised that they screwed up and let dice handle BF2. The same studio that did BF:V does the BF2 expansions though and EA did the BF2 server browser, that's why they wound up sucking. They used to make thier devs work over time without pay do to some loophole in california law, but eventually they got in trbouble for that. They also love being asses and buying exclusive rights to trademarks for thier games. Now no other games can have NFL, Porsche, or BMW in them, theres probably a few more too.

all-star

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why are buying rights to corperations bad??? doesn't everyone do it?? didn't CBS or whatever broadcasting company bye the rights recently to have Hockey Night in Canada on there network? don't Coke and Pepsi continuoussly purchase the rights to a movie to be able to advertise their product in that movie and not any other product.

i see no problem in buying rights for names, its all buisness. now EA doesn't have competition, and if they spend money to make money im all for it.

EA in my opinion (and everyone has a right to here my opinion ) are one of the best companies to come out of canada. they put the gaming industry on the map, and they came out of Burnaby, BC Canada. They have had alot more Success then failures, everyone knows about EA games and their titles.

Do you know how developement contracts work? EA signs a contract and gives a specific time limit allowed for a developement team to create a product. at the end of that time and the developement team is succesfull in creating the product, EA pays the team. It was probably the teams fault who had to work over time in order to make the time limit.

Generally teams have about 9 months and more to develope a game
loka

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding to this...at one point EA Games had exclusive rights to MLB. Now MLB has a new affiliate with Take Two among other companies up to year 2009. To make up for there lack of baseball games they came out with the NCAA College Baseball game.

The way I see it is everything out there has a reason to make profit off of something. Sports is a highly lucrative market in which you can make money in almost everything. Clothes, video games, board games, auto accessories, sporting equipment, domestics, novelties...list goes on and on.

It's a no win in trying to solve "the man" in America except...if it works for you...and you get rich...think of it first.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's bad about buying exclusive rights? you've got to be kidding me. They then have compelete control of the market for whatever they buy. Now no other publishers can make an NFL game, if you want to play an NFL game you have to play madden. they can make the game as crappy as they want because there is no one to compete with. It's basically a mini monopoly. If I want to race porsches in a racing game I have to play need for speed which is the crappiest excuse for a racing game i've ever seen. I can no longer play an even semi-realistic racing game with a porsche in it thanks to them. Any time anyone has exclusive rights to anything they have a miniture monopoly of that market. Your tv stations example is fine because you dont have to pay for the station and Its not like their product's quality can vary, its just broadcasting of an event. If CBS could only sell canadian hockey night merchendise then it would be a different story. I don't get what you're saying about the coke and pepsi thing.
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the ads but it should be optional because some will like it and some won't.

How far are they going with this? Are they clickable? game pauses while you step out and buy the latest headbanger MP3 file.

But if I do get ads...as a bone to us... I want to have my likeness on the game character. It is about time we can really make our character persoanable thet everyone can see.
all-star

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its in your own opinion that the games EA produces are bad, its not buying exclusive rights to the NFL is bad.

if i remember NFL2k by sega was the only competitor, and i think it lost to Madden, and NFL2k never came to PC, which is another reason why Madden was better. So in a way EA did a favor for Sega by telling them to stop wasting time on NFL and concentrate on other titles like bringing back Sonic!!!!!!

Aren't there porche's in Project Gotham Racing? thats by Microsoft isin't it? I love Need for Speed, i think one of the best and most fun games to play. I loved underground and underground 2, Most Wanted was ok, but the newest one "Carbon" which comes out NOvember is gonna wicked

back to the point, Buying exclusive rights isin't bad, its good for buisness. its your dislike of EA titles that are ruling your judgements/comments
=SG=ComptonEMT.TVR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all i gotta say is this is something that should be added into sports games... no more tiburon and EA signs all over the stadiums... lets get some real things in there

#2gunfire STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON! #2gunfire
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mike

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all-star wrote:
its in your own opinion that the games EA produces are bad, its not buying exclusive rights to the NFL is bad.

if i remember NFL2k by sega was the only competitor, and i think it lost to Madden, and NFL2k never came to PC, which is another reason why Madden was better. So in a way EA did a favor for Sega by telling them to stop wasting time on NFL and concentrate on other titles like bringing back Sonic!!!!!!

Aren't there porche's in Project Gotham Racing? thats by Microsoft isin't it? I love Need for Speed, i think one of the best and most fun games to play. I loved underground and underground 2, Most Wanted was ok, but the newest one "Carbon" which comes out NOvember is gonna wicked

back to the point, Buying exclusive rights isin't bad, its good for buisness. its your dislike of EA titles that are ruling your judgements/comments

another competitor was espn games, which EA bought out. Porsches were in PGR1 and 2 but not 3 because of EA's rights to them. They were able to get around that by using RUFs, which is a company that buys porsches and modifys them. There isn't as nearly a large selection of RUFs as there is Porsches though. I don' understand how you think exclusive rights is good. Not having exclusive rights brigs competition, competition causes companys to want to sell more then the other, therefore having the motivation to make better games. It also gives people the ability to choose what game of that type they want to buy. Veriety is good, choices are good, having exclusive rights takes those away. And please stop saying I hate all the EA games. The only ones I mentioned not liking are NFS, BF:V and some BF2 expansions, now you're just looking for sometihng to attack me with.
rANCOR hUNTER

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehehe my favorite fake ad was in MLB allstar baseball 2005 at Comerica Park where in real life there is a big General Motors ad in the back but they replaced it with a sign that said Mineral Water.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: