FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
PC Building Pay Rates
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Rifle wrote:
r u going to out to buy the parts or are they providing them for u, cuz if u do have get ur own parts then i think u should get paid a bit more!

I think he's ordering from Newegg.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Muffins

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice that you offered to build a PC for someone but unless they want some out of this world system either charge them something minimal like $20 or have them get a dell.

Charging anything more doesn't justify you building them a computer. Hell, it's probably already going to cost more money for a cheapy computer in the first place. THe nice thing about building a computer is you save minimal money but get to choose all the parts you want.
Willie Busserhimen
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah...

just buy dude an emachine.

Willie Busserhimen.v-V$
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mUj0
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well....I'm building these systems because I was asked to. Yes, the money is a nice incentive, but Im trying to be a nice person. ANd this give me some experience. And I wouldn't recommend Emachine to anyone. If they're going to use it for gaming....I wouldn't send them anywhere like HP, Dell, or Gateway. Thats just wrong. THEY will over charge for a gaming rig.

Colossians 2:20 "You have died with Christ, and he has set you free from the evil powers of this world. So why do you keep on following rules of the world"
preacherman
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mUj0 wrote:
I wouldn't send them anywhere like HP, Dell, or Gateway. Thats just wrong. THEY will over charge for a gaming rig.

I bought a Dell about 2Christmases ago and it works great with dod and source - not good for video editing but it isn't supposed to be, and i don't really do it anyway(ok did have to boost the graphics.
I could not have bought all the seperate parts and xp for MUCH cheaper - so have just sent for a new one from Dell (had to but not for the gaming as it is great)

I have been messing about with pc's for a little bit but would recommend Dell - not sure of the others (Oh and NO to emachines yuck)

BTW for experience building your own is great and for a friend admireable - just be careful of liability and the endless phone calls u will forever have to take

Thank U again StrontiumDog for Sig
l3eeron
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

preacherman wrote:
just be careful of liability and the endless phone calls u will forever have to take

eternalVillealliance
Albino Gibbon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I don't have the time to build the rig I have sold, my vendor builds it for a flat fee of $25.00. So, I tack on $25.00 and am done with it. Sometimes a problem with a $ per hr. setup, is you will have an occasional butthole that will accuse you of milking it. The best way to sell yourself is to let them know of what they get from you, they won't get from a Dell or a Gateway buy. They will understand you when they ask for help. Tell them that it includes setup and any easy software install. Plus, treat them like they are your favorite customer. Even if you are a little more, they don't mind. It will also enable you to sell the rig for a bit more profit. Just do not give your time away for free if they start going overboard with your support.
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never ever build a computer for someone you know.
You will never be done with it. They will hound you for every little detail and thing they mess up.

any money you do make up front will be eaten up over time with the "free" discussions, advice, tweaking, etc that they will encounter as they take your perfect box and muck it up with everything from email accounts to spyware.
It will be your fault no matter what happens. Since this is work related this could even be ugly...

You can not charge enough for this. send them to dell and then have a beer and thank the computer gods that you read this!
mUj0
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROOFCUTTER wrote:
Never ever build a computer for someone you know.
You will never be done with it. They will hound you for every little detail and thing they mess up.

any money you do make up front will be eaten up over time with the "free" discussions, advice, tweaking, etc that they will encounter as they take your perfect box and muck it up with everything from email accounts to spyware.
It will be your fault no matter what happens. Since this is work related this could even be ugly...

You can not charge enough for this. send them to dell and then have a beer and thank the computer gods that you read this!

I havn't even started yet and I'm begining to see these signs!

As soon as he gets back from vacation, I'm telling him to just go back to dell/hp. And this isn't all just from what you've said ROOF, but I've been thinking about it for a week...>not worth the hassle!

Thanks everyone for their help...I appreciate it very much.

Colossians 2:20 "You have died with Christ, and he has set you free from the evil powers of this world. So why do you keep on following rules of the world"
JEHU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Free? Reply with quote

I enjoy building computers and I have built several of them for my friends, family, and church. I have never recieved payment for any computer that I have built. I do it because I can and others can't.

A couple of things to consider when "charging" people for this service.

1. They are going to expect this computer to work perfectly, if it
doesn't you will be getting a call for tech support.
2. Unless the computer is needed for a specialized purpose it is usually
better for the average consumer to buy a commerically available
computer.
3. Be sure to include the price of any software into the price. Tech
support is not available for pirated software. This is another
excellent reason to consider a ready made computer.

If you decide to continue building a computer for a friend consider not recieving a cash payment. This will relieve you of the burden of mandatory tech support (some support may be needed) and allow you to be a good friend by doing something nice for them.

I know you have identified yourself as a Christian on this site and I would assume people at work know it to. This would be a excellent way to demonstrate His kindness to others. If you needed a new computer wouldn't you appreciate someone saving you a few bucks on building it for you for free?
""Throw her down!" Jehu said. So they threw her down, and some of her blood spattered the wall and the horses as they trampled her underfoot." 2 Kings 9:33

mUj0
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Free? Reply with quote

JEHU wrote:

I know you have identified yourself as a Christian on this site and I would assume people at work know it to. This would be a excellent way to demonstrate His kindness to others. If you needed a new computer wouldn't you appreciate someone saving you a few bucks on building it for you for free?

Thats my dilemma, and I'm glad you've confirmed this, thank you. The guy I was going to build one for is not my friend, however, I still love him, and would like to help him. The same goes for this lady and her son, they don't have alot of money and I really REALLY feel guilty charging them.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: