FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
More accurate models

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
l3eeron
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: More accurate models Reply with quote

Hey guys. I wanted to talk about a frustration I've experienced with DoD since day 1. I constantly find myself shooting an impenetrable invisible area of an objest instead of the enemy's head. For instance, I can see the enemy through the gap of most tank treads, but I cant seem to shoot through the gap. Same happens with some sandbags, the way they're positioned. My question is: Is there more "accurate" models to match the areas you cant shoot through? I noticed after I installed the dod extreme realism packdge of models,sprites,sounds,etc the models are even further off than the default models. It makes me think, maybe someone made models to better represent the actual area of the objects?

eternalVillealliance
all-star

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its all about the hitboxes. in my best guess, game creators compensate for lag by making "larger" hit boxes. thus i think hitboxes for solid objects (ie tanks, sandbags, thore iron tank blocker things) also have larger hit boxes then they apear, so they absorb the bullets. its a thing in the game, and in other games as well. just gotta learn to deal with it, try and move to a better position.

for me i hate it on jagd. when im coming down middle toward axis side, and im strafing behind those iron things sticking out of the ground to block tanks. and i ALWAYS get killed when standing behind those. but when ever i try to shoot someone whos hiding i always here "clink". and it really frusterates me, but i just keep on playing
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

props don't have hitboxes. The closest thing your gonna get beeron are the original models, because thats what the server uses when registering the bullets.
all-star

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why don't props have hitboxes. don't they need hitboxes to trigger the sounds of the ricochetting bullets? how else could they trigger it
l3eeron
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
props don't have hitboxes. The closest thing your gonna get beeron are the original models, because thats what the server uses when registering the bullets.

That's what I figured. Im going to revert back to default models.

eternalVillealliance
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all-star wrote:
why don't props have hitboxes. don't they need hitboxes to trigger the sounds of the ricochetting bullets? how else could they trigger it

thats in the texture properties.
Kurosaki Ichigo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh that's why you use a gun with more penetration :p

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The props (Eg. a tank) just have unrounded, large and bulky hitboxes. That's the best an old game like dod can do.
Mister X

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever tried changing your rates? (rate, updaterate, cmdrate). The defaults with steam are meant for 56k. LAN rates are considered max, which are 20000, 101, 101 respectively. If you get a ping that is less than 100, having moderate to high rates is best. The rates change the amount of data that you send and receive from the server. So, the more you can handle the better. The models will update more often and there will be less lagging hitboxes, assuming that your opponent doesn't have very low rates. I believe that cmdrate should be set to your average fps, but don't quote me on it.

I normally set my rate to 19999, cmdrate to 75 (max_fps is set to 80) and updaterate is 75. I rarely have problems with lagging hitboxes, unless the opponent has a bad ping (or I do), or they intentionally lower their rates below default. There is a way to check others rates. I believe a program called Demo Freak will do this. Just record a demo for a few seconds, then put it in demo freak and it will show this. You'd be surprised at how many people have played this game for a long time and know nothing of rates.

As for the "hitboxes" on tanks and other such things, they certainly do make baby jesus cry.
StrontiumDog
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry...I play default settings...
More fun that way....

"Oh Smeg! What the smeg's he smegging done? He's smegging killed me!" Lister, Red Dwarf
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
The Tiju

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that gets really annoyin when ur tryin to snipe someone on donner when they're tryin to cap the middle flag...

"Never Fear The Tiju is Here"
Mister X

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tiju wrote:
yeah that gets really annoyin when ur tryin to snipe someone on donner when they're tryin to cap the middle flag...

That's what the tank is for! Its much more annoying when you are 5 feet away from someone with your x-hairs on them and it decides to hit the tank instead. A better way to defend the flag on donner with a sniper rifle is to use one of the houses next to the tank. Even better if you can get past the tank and snipe from behind.
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why someone couldn't modify the models to fit the hit area more accurately.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: