FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
AMD or Intel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaKon wrote:
Well for the next 2 years I would say, AMD will be Intel's bitch. This time around Intel is putting it to AMD hard. And when I mean hard, I mean Hard.

Depends wether K8L or Yorksfeild comes out on top late next year, but for now, ya, intel is the clear winner.
Blown

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

winner or not, I still buy amd.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blown wrote:

why?
KopiKat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forward compatability, that's why. If you buy a motherboard that accepts AM2 chips and only buy a 90nm Athlon X2 3600+, you can buy a quad core K8L in 6 months and it will still fit in your AM2 socket.

In addition, they still have the best power management. Don't let intel lie to you about their TDP figures. Their TDP figure stands for "Typical Design Power", which is the average running temperature of the processor. AMD's TDP figure stands fore "Total Design Power", which is the MAX that the AMD processors will run at. If AMD were to use Intel's definition of TDP, it would be much closer to 35-40 watts on it's 89 watt TDP processor as it currently stands.

64 bits still runs better on AMD, and their memory bandwidth is vastly superior. It also handles multithreading better as a result of it's direct connect architecture and lack of a unified cache which must be flushed whenever one core needs to fetch something that isn't already in it.

The benchmarks you are seeing are canned benchmarks on things like SuperPI and Prime95, which has absolutely no bearing on reality what so ever. Those are small programs that easily fit inside intel's monsterous 2MByte caches, and thus will run much faster.

If you get a video game that doesn't fit (like any source game), the performance between the two is dead even. Proof is in the benchmarking, so here's a link:

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTEwOCwyLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

Chose wisely.

-KK

For reference, the Athlon FX62 costs 750 at tigerdirect right now, and the Core 2 Extreme 6800 costs 975. The Core 2 6700 costs 550. And AMD's 5200 X2 costs 500, with performance comparable to that of the Core2 6700.
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O'cmon Comadore64 all the way!!!!!!

or

AppleII
regis
Guild Noobie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still love my old 80286!!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KopiKat wrote:
Forward compatability, that's why. If you buy a motherboard that accepts AM2 chips and only buy a 90nm Athlon X2 3600+, you can buy a quad core K8L in 6 months and it will still fit in your AM2 socket.

There's been alot of talk about wether or not the current AM2 sockets and boards will be able to fully use k8l. It doesn't matter to me anyway because i always stick with a processor for at least 3 years.

KopiKat wrote:

The benchmarks you are seeing are canned benchmarks on things like SuperPI and Prime95, which has absolutely no bearing on reality what so ever. Those are small programs that easily fit inside intel's monsterous 2MByte caches, and thus will run much faster.

Most apps and the benches for them that rely on only the processor the core2duo beats amd price equivelent. I'm talking about encoding and compiling apps that are big.
KopiKat wrote:

If you get a video game that doesn't fit (like any source game), the performance between the two is dead even. Proof is in the benchmarking, so here's a link:

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTEwOCwyLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

I've said before in this thread that most game benches you won't see much of a difference because they are limited by the graphics cards.

KopiKat wrote:

For reference, the Athlon FX62 costs 750 at tigerdirect right now, and the Core 2 Extreme 6800 costs 975. The Core 2 6700 costs 550. And AMD's 5200 X2 costs 500, with performance comparable to that of the Core2 6700.

You're giving wrong comparisons, the E6600 is better then the fx62.

The many advantages of the core2's outweigh the few advantages of the amds.
KopiKat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So then it really comes down to what you do more. Do you play video games more? Or do you run SuperPi while encoding your DVDs?

Being that this is a gaming forum for the most part, I would say that gaming is the relevant factor in the equation of performance, and thus you will be equally well served with an AMD or Intel processor with respect to gaming, and pay roughly the same price.

If you are forward looking though and plan on upgrading your processor within a year or two so that you have a better rig, then AMD is the clear choice, being that its stuff is all forward compatable with future offerings if you use the AM2 socket, and you have more upgrade options available to you for the future, being that Intel wont have a new architecture out for at least another year, whereas AMD's new architecture is coming out within just a few months.

-KK
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intel is using the same socket for 2 core and quad core.

Also for a more complete review on all amd and intel products look at
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=430&model2=464&chart=165

It is simply a better performance break down.

Hands down, with pretty much everything the e6600 core2 conroe beats fx62, and in a lot of cases the e6400 does.

Price comparison e6400 $200.00
fx62 $817.00
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KopiKat wrote:
So then it really comes down to what you do more. Do you play video games more? Or do you run SuperPi while encoding your DVDs?

Being that this is a gaming forum for the most part, I would say that gaming is the relevant factor in the equation of performance, and thus you will be equally well served with an AMD or Intel processor with respect to gaming, and pay roughly the same price.

Not necessarily, in the future when the processors are outdated and games require more processing it will matter. Alot of people also play games and map and make videos and stuff so its not only games.

KopiKat wrote:
Intel wont have a new architecture out for at least another year, whereas AMD's new architecture is coming out within just a few months.

kentsfeild is coming out next month, but thats just 2 conroes. Yorksfeild and k8l are saposed to be coming out late next year, what's amds new architechure coming out soon?
KopiKat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorkfield is not a new architecture, it's simply a "dumb-shrink" to 45 nanometers. That means Yorkfield is just a 45nm quad core Kentsfield. Not a "new architecture" by any means. AMD's K8L is a new architecture in every respect, it has new instruction sets, new SSE, new load-store mechanisms, a new type of cache (see Z-Ram), quad core, and 65 nm to boot. It's pretty much a complete redesign of K8. I have heard differently that K8l is slated for Q2 2007, which is somewhere between 6 to 9 months from now. That's the new architecture.

The current stuff to look forward to is AMD's K8 @ 65nm die process. It's same old K8, but shrunk down to 60% of the size. Intel got a 40% performance gain out of it's 65 nm shrink based on P3 architecture, and while not immediately, the same will be the case for the 65nm shrink of K8. Roughly 40% less power used, and about a 40% increase over old 90nm K8's.

Apples to oranges, with respect to Yorkfield and K8L.

Intel is quite a ways off from any "new" architecture. It's not even on the road map yet.

-KK
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simpleman wrote:
O'cmon Comadore64 all the way!!!!!!

or

AppleII

Totally...although I still have a soft spot for my Sinclair ZX80...Z80 3.25MHz processor with 1kb RAM 4kb ROM....

http://www.apj.co.uk/zx80/zx80_hardware.htm

"Oh Smeg! What the smeg's he smegging done? He's smegging killed me!" Lister, Red Dwarf
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Blown

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
Blown wrote:

why?

Because thats what my last 4 pcs have been that I built and Ive had great luck with them. Maybe the Intel will perform a little better or a little worse but really, its not enough for me to change from whats been totally dependable. Numbers dont mean jack to me really.

That and I like buying the underdog if you wanna call it. Just like with ATI. If we didnt have those two youd still be getting screwed from Intel like before when they asked crazy prices for thier chips.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Simpleman
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup as long as I get from .A-.B really doesn't matter whats under the hood. IMHO. I have 2 AMD's and 3 Intels....lol I spread the love
mUj0
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might as well put my 2 cents in....

I buy whats cheap.

Colossians 2:20 "You have died with Christ, and he has set you free from the evil powers of this world. So why do you keep on following rules of the world"
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: