FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
AMD or Intel
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rebel_Rouser
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: AMD or Intel Reply with quote

Alright I know this can be more of an opinion discussion then anything but, I am kinda at a crossroads. I have always bought intel and I am looking at upgrading my processor as well as my motherboard by the end of this year. The thing is I am not sure what processor I want. I am also looking at getting an AMD this time because they have come out with some really nice chips for a decent price. The current processor I have had for about 3 years.

My current processor - Intel P4 2.8ghz HT

These are acouple of the current ones I have been looking at. Any suggestions?

AMD Athlon 64 FX60

Intel Pentium D 960 Presler

Longest Running Show in Broadway History 1/9/06
Mike

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: AMD or Intel Reply with quote

The new Intel core 2 duo (conroe) processors are alot better then AMD's new AM2 processors. Although they're not in stores yet, they have already been officially released and expected to be in stores soon. AMD is also going to have major price drops once the new intel chips hit stores. So whatever you do, don't buy anything now.

Edit: also, you're current mobo probably only has an AGP slot, so if you do get a new processor/mobo, you're going to have to get a new graphics card.
Rebel_Rouser
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep I plan on getting a new motherboard and then graphics card cause it is AGP. Which kinda sucks cause i was not looking on updating from a 6800GT just yet

DJ George
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly perfer Intel, with the exception of the Prescott core ones. Sadly I was caught up in the buzz about them and having always like intel, got a prescott and was dissapointed, though intel even realized that and scrapted them as the P5 and went to the duo cores
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lt. Black

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer AMD, personally.

Blown

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amd myself also.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built a new machine a couple of months back with the AMD Athlon64 FX60 chip when it first came out. I was always an Intel guy myself but figured I would try something new. I have had 0 problems with it. Doesn't run to hot like I figured it might. If you decided to go that route then you won't be disappointed.

God Bless You Blue Ruler
Rebel_Rouser
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am leaning towards that AMD FX60. I heard it was a sweet chip. It will probably be acouple months before I go after it, also will see what else comes on the market.

oXo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMD ... also .. if you end up getting a AM2 socket system now, AMD said that the new processors will be backward compatible to the AM2 socket, so you'll have a nice upgrade path.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't waste your money on a FX60, it is out dated and over priced. The core 2 duo is still alot better then the AM2. I strongly suggest that you look at some core 2 duo vs AM2 benches before making any decision on what you want to get. Make sure you also look at benches that are not graphics card dependent because most game benches you won't see much of a difference because they are more graphics card dependent.

If you look at the benches in this article, you will see that the core 2 duo E6600 ($316) beats the AM2 FX62 ($799 after the upcoming pricecut) in almost everything, in and out of game.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2795&p=1
gator
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with Conroe if you're buying before end of year. Less power consumption + equal or better performance to the Athlon 64 AM2.

It's one of the better architectural choices Intel has made desktop wise in quite some time.
psyduck

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

definitely go with the conroe 6600. for $300 dollars it beats the best amd processor you can buy for 1/3 of the price. amd no longer holds the throne.
KopiKat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTEwOCwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

There are the performance benchmarks with the NEW Intel Conroe Core Duo 2's vs the AMD FX62.

The best is about dead even with AMD's FX62.

When that article was written the FX62 was 1.2K dollars, but AMD just announced that they are dropping the price by 50%, so expect to pay close to 600 on the FX62, if thats any incentive.

-KK

P.S. The new Core Duo's that everyone is ranting and raving about wont be out for you to buy for at least a month, whereas the AMD's are able to be bought now.

P.P.S. Oh yeah, I say AMD.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and you can find so many more sites with benchmarks showing core 2 duo blowing away amd. 1 site that shows differently isn't much of a influence changer.
KopiKat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am assuming you actually read the benchmarks. With that in mind, you saw that all factors were held constant except the processor. They had the same ram: 2 gigs of DDR800, the same graphics card: Geforce 7900, the same hard drive: Western Digital 74GB Raptor, the same Windows: XP Pro /w SP2 & DX9.0c

The only thing that differed was the motherboard chipset and the processor, and each chipset happened to be the best available for each respective processor.

So riddle me this, psyduck:

If all things are held constant, and the performance is roughly the same between the two, then what explains that? Clearly no one is cheating because all of the info is there, and they did an array of tests on many different games(WoW, Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, Half Life 2 Episode One, ect), in all of which the Core2 Duo scored about dead even with the FX62.

Please tell me what makes this possible if the Conroe/Core2 Duo is so much better according to the many other benchmarks you've seen. I implore you to explain.

-KK
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: