FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Laptop battery

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shortbus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: Laptop battery Reply with quote

I don't usually use my laptop for gaming, but when I do, it's always plugged in to AC power. My sister says that running off AC power all the time will kill the battery, to the point that some day, I'll unplug it and only have an hour of battery life. I know of people who have had this problem with cell phones. They've charged them when they didn't need to be charged, or left them on a car charger all the time, and before they know it, they can't make a phone call without the battery dying. My current thoughts are that batteries only have so many cycles in their life span, and that cycling it unneccesarily will have me replacing my battery too soon.

My question... Am I better off running on battery untill it dies, then charging it, or should I run on AC power as much as possible? I'm still always going to game on AC power, for the brighter screen if nothing else. For general usage though, which way is better? It's a Li-Ion battery.
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the computer automatically detects when the battery needs to be charged, so it only gets charged when it needs to. Otherwise, it just runs directly off the power and the battery just sits there. When I try playing games off of battery power, it won't last long at all, even if it is brand new.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that only happens to batteries directly connected to an outlet. I also don't rember hearing anything about how li-ion batteries can cook, probably because li-ion batteries are mainly on electronics which probably regulate the battery. it's actually better to have your li-ion battery charged in short busts, rather then fully emptying a ni-cad battery before another charge.
DarkTemplar316

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my first laptop was a crappy toshiba, and i left it plugged in all the time with the battery in. it eventually did not hold a charge at all, but i believe that was because of a defect in the laptop, because it melted part of the battery. i have an ibm now, and when the battery is charged to 100% i take it out and run on just AC. i do it as a precaution, because i dont want to take it somewhere and have like 5 minutes of battery life.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: