FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
2500 ping

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SickMan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: 2500 ping Reply with quote

how can i play day of defeat with a 2500 ping and im on cable connection?. Then it drops down to zero ping then back up to 1800. Its been like that for several months.
PolluX
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just on the TheVille servers? Does it do it in other games? How's your bandwidth while trying to download stuff from the web or other programs?

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.
mUj0
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be your rates causing the high ping/choke. Check out this website for more information on rates: http://home.covad.net/~k25125/SteamyThings/NetGraph_Steam.htm

Also, try rebooting your cable modem and/or router. Also, be sure you have the latest firmware for your router if you have one. If you can, check the ip of your router and make sure the proper ports are open, that your firewall isnt blocking anything (the router firewall). Most routers allow you to type the ip address in a web browser to access more administrative options.

Another thing, get into command prompt. (Start | Programs | Accessories, Windows XP). Type 'ping www.theville.org' (w/out quotes). If you have any packets lost, there's a problem between you and the servers. Also try 'tracert www.theville.org'. This will tell you if you have any bad 'hops' between you and the servers. You can also use the ip address of the server you play on instead of www.theville.org.

Hope this helps a bit.

Colossians 2:20 "You have died with Christ, and he has set you free from the evil powers of this world. So why do you keep on following rules of the world"
Kurosaki Ichigo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also dont forget to do spyware/adware sweeps. Sometimes they can sit in the background and eat up bandwidth. I usually run a full gamut of scans including Ad-Aware SE, Webroot Spysweeper, Spybot, AVG, HiJack This, Registry Mechanic and the online scanning tool HouseCall from TrendMicro.
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it shouldn't work this way, but I had to switch from an ethernet connection to usb on my old m/b. The new one works best on ethernet. If all else fails you may try it. Think

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died.
Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
- General George S. Patton, Jr
MunkeyEye
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try power cycling your modem too. That simple solution worked for me last month when I experienced something like that.

unplug your power cable and RJ45 and cable cable for a couple of minutes, then hook them back on and restart. Doesn't hurt to do the same for your router if you have one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
SickMan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: ping Reply with quote

its on every server that i just lag out on. as far as downloading goes thats just fine in fact i hit over 200kbs last time I DL. Spyware tried everything. I use Spyware doctor and Counterspy. Ive repowered the modem numerous times. All my drivers are updated. the only thing different is that Im now using Kaspersky firewall and virus protection. On the ville and 90% of all servers I usually get 40-80 ping. The ville was constant 40-45. This is really blowing my mind. I wasnt really good at this game I just liked getting own3d.
Anyways thanks for the help.
Simpleman
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure in STEAM settings that your connection is set right. STEAM like to change it to 56k and below......lol
mUj0
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: ping Reply with quote

SickMan wrote:
its on every server that i just lag out on. as far as downloading goes thats just fine in fact i hit over 200kbs last time I DL. Spyware tried everything. I use Spyware doctor and Counterspy. Ive repowered the modem numerous times. All my drivers are updated. the only thing different is that Im now using Kaspersky firewall and virus protection. On the ville and 90% of all servers I usually get 40-80 ping. The ville was constant 40-45. This is really blowing my mind. I wasnt really good at this game I just liked getting own3d.
Anyways thanks for the help.

Might be your firewall then, if it didnt start lagging till you switched firewall/antivirus. Those are known laggers.

Colossians 2:20 "You have died with Christ, and he has set you free from the evil powers of this world. So why do you keep on following rules of the world"
SickMan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: yep Reply with quote

thats what i did and for 10 minutes no lag. Damn, I like kaspersky too.
The only reason I didnt uninstall was Ive had firewall's before and it didnt cause this much of an issue. Oh well...let the pawnage continue.
Thanks for all the idea's everyone. #Fist
mUj0
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just use the Windows Firewall, works fine.

FUSE
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.pcpitstop.com

I use that every week, I run the FULL TEST and when it's done testing it lets you know what you can do to improve performance on your computer and the changes that you can make. Like it will tell u if ur internet isn't working well, or if you need to upgrade ram, stuff like that. It even reminds you to defrag and stuff. It's helped me out a few times. You have to sign up for the site and the tests are free.

FUSE.TVR -V$-
Canadian Rifle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check ur stem settings again and remeber put ur rate at 9999

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: