FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
internet problem

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rebel_Rouser
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: internet problem Reply with quote

For some reason my internet is not working. My pc keeps saying I have "limited to no internet connectivity".....so i tried disabling and enabling my current ethernet chip which did not work. I tried reseting it in my bios which did not work. So thinking it was my ethernet chip I have in my motherboad I went and bought a new ethernet card and installed it but I am getting the same thing after enabling it and disabling the old one. I know it is not my internet connection itself because I took my whole pc over a friends house and tried their internet.....so I dont know what issue could possibly be. If you have any suggestions let me know.
Thanks!
-RR

Longest Running Show in Broadway History 1/9/06
Bleeding Tomato
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This maybe simple but have you checked your ethernet cable? They do go bad frequently especially if moved or wiggled often. I'd loan you my tester but I'm sure your too far away. They sell the testers cheap at most large computer shops. Good luck

John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebel, this isnt a solution but I have had similar issues on one of my PCs.

I installed the latest Firefox update and suddenly it cant find the internet....IE works, Steam works, everything else works fine, just not Firefox.....

Its odd and I have not found a fix as of yet so I am going with my favorite option and that is backup all my pr0n, errrr Data and reinstall.

JD

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't want to get off topic here...but what are the benefits of firefox?

-GaNjA

Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love
-Lao Tzu-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DaKon
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had this before. It is XP prob.

Go to you network folder. Disable all of you network connectins (ie the ones for you nic cards as well as firewire).

Reboot.

Enable all your connections. The one that you have connected to your modem/router right click on it and go to repair.

see if that fixes it. I had to do that a couple of times. For some reason they fubared themselves.
Mike

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can normally right click and repair and it works. Your router could also be dieing.
Mad-Hammer
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the problem frequently also. Usually after a power failure but, it's also occured out of thin air.

My fix has been; power off then on the cable modem, reset the network hub to reestablish the network protocols, then reboot my pc. Probably more hassle than I should be going through but, hey it works.

I'm also running Firefox and wouldn't trade it for the world.

And the network cables will go bad especially if you are running over long distances. I've replaced 2 in the last year.

When The Only Tool You Have Is A Hammer, Everything Else Looks Like A Nail....
mUj0
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad-Hammer wrote:
I have the problem frequently also. Usually after a power failure but, it's also occured out of thin air.

My fix has been; power off then on the cable modem, reset the network hub to reestablish the network protocols, then reboot my pc. Probably more hassle than I should be going through but, hey it works.

I'm also running Firefox and wouldn't trade it for the world.

And the network cables will go bad especially if you are running over long distances. I've replaced 2 in the last year.

I've had this problem from time to time also. And what MadHammer is saying is pretty much what my ISP tells me to do. Try it a few times.

Colossians 2:20 "You have died with Christ, and he has set you free from the evil powers of this world. So why do you keep on following rules of the world"
Shortbus

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usually when i get that message it means that it's time to reset my cable modem and my router. if your cable company has updated something, you may have to reset your modem to re-establish your connection. any time you reset the modem, you need to reset your router if you're using one. john doe, are you running a firewall that might be prohibiting firefox from accessing the internet, but still allow your other programs that were already excluded from the firewall to work like they're supposed to?

so yeah, basically what hammer and mujo just said...
Rebel_Rouser
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for some reason my IP address was totally abnormal. It had precent signs in it and dashes and stuff that should not be in a normal IP. So i went ahead an reformated my pc. Which I actually have been wanting to do for some time and that did the trick. Allthough the updating and reinstalling of afew things really sucks! lol

Thanks for the help though guys

-RR

Longest Running Show in Broadway History 1/9/06
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: