FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Why is WoW good?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> World of Warcraft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greebo
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Why is WoW good? Reply with quote

Ok I need convincing. I've only ever played one MMORPG before - Utopia, which I played for a bit but ended up getting incredibly bored doing repetitive tasks to build up stats etc.

Is WoW different from that? (Graphics aside) It's a helluva popular game but so far I haven't read anything that tells me why.

I doubt I'll get it in the near future anyway, due to budget restraints but it would be nice to know what the attraction is compared to other MMORPGs
JtH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well as with any mmorpg game the people in it with you are the ones that make the game fun.

granted you could play the game at face value and have fun, but the long term fun factor all comes from the people you play it with.

One thing though you have to realize, is you get what you put into it. If you have fun and screw around the game will be much more enjoyable then if you filled your time with just leveling.

WoW is good because you can level and quest and what not, but you can also pvp, which breaks up the monotony of grinding. Thats why we started the ville guild on a pvp server. You get bored with leveling, you can go into battlegrounds or on raids and slaughter some of the opposing faction.

My advice would be to go to wal mart and pick up the game. You get a free month with it so give it a shot for the month. If you like it then you can decide to keep paying, if not, im sure you have a friend that would like a copy. If not, youll have a nice decorative coaster for your cold drinks.

The truth is, mmorpgs are not for everyone. The only way to tell if you are honestly going to like it or not is just to give it a shot.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll list the things that are cool about WoW in my opinion.

You meet people in WoW just like you would on TheVille. When you get into guilds many times they'll have ventrilo or teamspeak servers, adding voice chat to the game, so it turns into basically the same scenario as DoD or CS.

Its awesome to see other players lvl with you, see who the power players are that take off, and poke fun at the ones that stay behind. Its great to have them come back and help you with quests and whatnot.

The classes you get to choose are awesome to try out. I think I've played every class available, although mostly all at low lvl's. And it's also tons of fun switching races, so you get to play with racial bonuses and stuff.

You can lvl up multiple ways, either by grinding, questing in one area, or switching to another area that has mostly the same leveled mobs(monsters), so that switches things up too. And also playing on both sides provides with different areas and things to do. (Horde/Alliance)

The countless hours that can be put into the game, really turn out to be worth the money. I remember the Final Fantasy games were though to be huge cuz they took 40 hours to complete. I'm not at lvl 60 yet, and I have around 250 hours clocked in already.

And finally when you get to lvl 60, you can put in a bunch of extra hours for self gratification, getting better gear, getting a higher rank in PVP, and just knowing that you've become awesome at that huge of a game.

Thats just a few things I like about it.

Thank you Loka for helping me realize my dream of having a Sig.
FragFailure

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cause it isn't one shot and one kill. Did I just say that?

- PWG member 2001
- TVB founder and leader 2001-2004
- The Ville's Vegas Bashes I-V
- T.V.L. (Ville TFC League)
- The Originator of the Off-Topic Posts
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Chen Kenichi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Why is WoW good? Reply with quote

Greebo wrote:
Ok I need convincing. I've only ever played one MMORPG before - Utopia, which I played for a bit but ended up getting incredibly bored doing repetitive tasks to build up stats etc.

Is WoW different from that?

In my opinion, no. Leveling is work. It is incredibly boring and incredibly repetitive. The quests you can do offer very little to make leveling more enjoyable, and high level characters of the enemy faction make your life hell. They can and will stop you from lvling. You may spend 2 hours trying to lvl and achieve absolutely nothing. I got the game in October of 04 and still do not have a level 60 character because of the ridiculous amount of time you have to invest into getting there.

However, doing instances with people, especially ones you know, can be very, very fun. Unfortunately at this point in time nearly everyone is level 60 and therefore it's very hard to find a group of 5 to do lower lvl instances.

Indeed, the best fun can be had by just screwing around, but this is where I find WoW extremely lacking. There's just not enough stuff to screw around with, especially at lower levels.

If you have loads of time to kill and absolutely nothing better to do though, go for it.

edit: I just checked my lvl 57 characer (the highest) and I have played 430 hours. That's 17 WHOLE DAYS and I'm still not level 60. Want to play a different class/race/faction? START THE GRINDFEST OVER!

This is why I support games that require skill instead of stats.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your last comment, it will go to show you that World of Warcraft does require skill. I have a lvl 55 with a little over 10 days under my belt. People with more skill can level faster, understand the game better, and have more fun with it can do it even faster then I can. 17 full days and still not at lvl 60 is quite excessive.

And I'm sorry your server doesnt have lowbies to quest with, but many other servers do. People with lvl 60 characters that enjoy the game continuously make Alt chars. This not only provides them with something to do on the side, so as not to get bored with one character, but also provides new players with questing buddies that know what they're doing.

But I suppose beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.

Thank you Loka for helping me realize my dream of having a Sig.
KillerRoofcutter
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. I have clocked over 200 hours on all and about 5-6 full days on my 29 main. If you dont like the leveling process there is a PTR option that you are allowed to start a 60 of whatever class you like (Limited choice on appearnce and race) And then play lvl 60 on the public test realms. Its really fun just to hop into the end game stuff...

PICKACHU GOT OWNED!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mindless leveling is actually kinda fun to me... did it on FF3 did it in the breath of fire games did it in diablo2x do it on madden football ( because raising stats is the best part of that game)

for as much as i've played tfc and dod they've always sorta been the exception game for me.
Queen of Spam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it took me 20 days and 7 hrs to hit 60 with my priest... 487 hrs I think that comes out to be.... but I had fun questing and running instances

http://ctprofiles.net/799963
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SilverOne
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know Chen, what server are you on so I never make an alt on it. Didnt you start on Deathwing at first? Should have stayed there.. maybe you would be happy.

I found every aspect of the game to be enjoyable. Leveling wasn't very hard, especially comparing to any other online rpg before it. I do play with both family and friends. My fiance plays more than I do. I also have a cousin, my sisters fiance, Frag and Powder there. We are in a large guild where we always have group pvp and raids to do almost daily when we want. Most of the guild I have known for years playing these types of games, a couple way back from 1996.

There is skill involved in WoW especially once you hit 60. PVP is different at 60. You must learn your class or you will die. Im a 60 priest and it took me months of playing daily to get good at my class and im still not as good as I want. People talk about how good I am, but I still feel I need work.

In PVE you have to know your class in raids too.. It takes many months for guilds to master the high level 40 man dungeons. Countless nights wiping to bosses. Trying to learn how to win. Each player thinks they know their class from level 1 to 59.. then you get a reality check. Serious reality check.

Our guild is in Blackwing lair now... and its hard.. We only get past a couple bosses. Then die.. and die again. Until as a whole we learn how to be better. Skill. We just got good a couple months ago in Molten Core after going there weekly for a year.

Being a priest on WoW has required alot more skill than i ever needed on TFC, DoD etc.

"STOP FLAPPIN' THE YAP AND WATCH THE LANGUAGE" ~Blue Ruler
"Silver is Cheezylicious" ~MErf
Chen Kenichi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilverOne wrote:
I dont know Chen, what server are you on so I never make an alt on it. Didnt you start on Deathwing at first? Should have stayed there.. maybe you would be happy.

I found every aspect of the game to be enjoyable. Leveling wasn't very hard, especially comparing to any other online rpg before it. I do play with both family and friends. My fiance plays more than I do. I also have a cousin, my sisters fiance, Frag and Powder there. We are in a large guild where we always have group pvp and raids to do almost daily when we want. Most of the guild I have known for years playing these types of games, a couple way back from 1996.

I play on Dethecus with my TFC buddies and on Blackhand with my cousin.

Quote:
There is skill involved in WoW especially once you hit 60. PVP is different at 60. You must learn your class or you will die. Im a 60 priest and it took me months of playing daily to get good at my class and im still not as good as I want. People talk about how good I am, but I still feel I need work.

In PVE you have to know your class in raids too.. It takes many months for guilds to master the high level 40 man dungeons. Countless nights wiping to bosses. Trying to learn how to win. Each player thinks they know their class from level 1 to 59.. then you get a reality check. Serious reality check.

Our guild is in Blackwing lair now... and its hard.. We only get past a couple bosses. Then die.. and die again. Until as a whole we learn how to be better. Skill. We just got good a couple months ago in Molten Core after going there weekly for a year.

I will not deny the game does have venues for skill and strategy, especially at level 60. However, equipment and level are vital. In a game like TFC, everything depends on your skill. While mulching, a soldier cannot beat me simply because he's squandered more of his life into playing TFC than me. He cannot beat me because his rocket launcher or armor is better than mine. He cannot beat me because my level is to low to land a blow on him. To beat him, all I have to do is be better than him at mulching. By WoW principles however, I could be a mulching guru, and he just a simple noobie, and he would hand me my ass. I would have to spend countless hours of bs "improving" myself to even stand a chance.

Quote:
Being a priest on WoW has required alot more skill than i ever needed on TFC, DoD etc.

To compete in top level TFC you need about 3 years league experience to be competent enough to play. Most people have at least 5. I imagine the CS and DoD scenes are very similar. Of course, there is no requirement. Should you be a TFC prodigy, you need not waste 300-500 hours of your life before you can play with the best.

Malanthros wrote:
From your last comment, it will go to show you that World of Warcraft does require skill. I have a lvl 55 with a little over 10 days under my belt. People with more skill can level faster, understand the game better, and have more fun with it can do it even faster then I can. 17 full days and still not at lvl 60 is quite excessive.

Excessive? Sure. Because I lack skill? No, sorry. A lot of that is PvP/ganking time since I freaking hate leveling.

Quote:
But I suppose beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.

Indeed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love it.

nuff said for me.
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its not for everyone.

it does take some dedication, and it does take a lot of time.

but it is a lot of fun when you have good people to play with.
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone here play FFXI online?

leveling in FFXI was like being sandblasted in the face for 17 hours straight and compared to that leveling in WoW is like a massage with wine and hot towels. but still, leveling in WoW has some serious flaws. the group experience penalty is pretty ridiculous. you are almost literally forced to level by yourself, which i find incredibly uncool.

still, it's a really great game. and as someone said earlier in the thread, it's all about the people you play with
JtH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cake wrote:
anyone here play FFXI online?

leveling in FFXI was like being sandblasted in the face for 17 hours straight and compared to that leveling in WoW is like a massage with wine and hot towels. but still, leveling in WoW has some serious flaws. the group experience penalty is pretty ridiculous. you are almost literally forced to level by yourself, which i find incredibly uncool.

still, it's a really great game. and as someone said earlier in the thread, it's all about the people you play with

thats exactly what turned me on to it as well. I used to talk trash on wow when it came out.

Then my brother bought me a copy for my birthday a year or so ago. I was annoyed because i thought it was gonna be like every other mmorpg out there.

From what i have found though, WoW is at a much faster pace then any other mmorpg i have ever played.

it does have its downfalls, but what game is perfect?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> World of Warcraft All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: