FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Strange thought

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snaggletooth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just reading and saw something about the Civil War. That's an oxymoron, war is far from civil. Any thoughts on this?
Whybkuul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, that's deep... regardless, i think you have WAY too much time on your hands...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BigCaulk69

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you get that from the guns and roses song? "hey whats so civil about war anyways?"

Tommy.Chong

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our civil war involved only us (Us Citizens) when it first broke out it was Civilian War.Most of the souther army was comprised of regualar ole farmers taught to fire a rifle the same goes for many of the northern army.Needless to say the majority of both armies had civilian troops an thus the Meaning Civil War. Now in todays terms this is far from the truth as technology has equipped most every country with an army outfited to handle most ground wars on thier own without having to resort to civilians,but none the less countries still have thier civil feuds an they still must rely on civilians to do the dirty work in some cases.
thewz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guess who kicked america's ass in the war of 1812?

Haha, we could have taken over your puny country, but England did not want to expend valuable troops to keep control of your land.

You guys could have taken control of Canada, if the Napoleonic wars would have lasted longer. Needless to say, when the Napoleonic wars ended, England was quite pissed off that you had burned some of our forts and Toronto (which was called York at the time) down (you big bullies ) and decided to burn down washington. (Woohoo go Canada!)

Also if it wasn't for Isaac Brock, you would have taken over our country way before the British could have reacted and saved our asses. My favorite story from the war of 1812 would have to be one of the battles (sorry forgot which one ) when Isaac brock went to attack one of your settlements with 200 english, 200 french and 300 indians. Of course, America had about 4000 soldiers in this settlement, so Isaac Brock told the Americans that he had over 3000 or so Indians. To prove his point, Brock told the Indians to march out of the forest towards the fort, hide, crawl back to the forest and run back out again. He did this about 20 times and made it look like there were about 3000 indians.

Basically what I am trying to say is...
HAHA SUCKERS!! CANADA ROOLZ! AMERICA IS INFERIOR TO US! j/k I love America more than I like cheese!

[ This Message was edited by: the_avenger on 2002-01-23 17:54 ]
Chan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have asain pride so the term 'civil' war doesn't matter to me
Enrico

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canada may rule, but only if you are talking aboot clean streets, and the fact that they control the world with a shadowy elite squad of a force so secret that we don't even know its name (its probably something like the "Eh? Force" anyways so its better a secret). For instance, take the cuban missile crisis, do you think we REALLY solved that with just talking? No way, in actuallity they snuck into Gorbachev's Dacha and held him at gunpoint untill hey called off the boats. Then they redid his memory via Men in Black style and were outta there. They did that because they needed us to protect them from neuclear attack and that cuba could shoot missiles at THEM too! You may think i'm crazy, but to mee it just makes too much sense to pass off.
You may think I'm crazy, but I think there are too

[ This Message was edited by: Juxtaposition on 2002-01-23 18:36 ]
Sully
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused...

Are you guys talking about the war of Northern Agression?

Sig courtesy of K.R.G.
thewz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, you were pretty close. We do have a special force running out of Tim Horton's. They are called the double double elite squad, they are a top secret squad of super soldiers who have timbits on their side. At birth all Canadian children receive digital implants in the brain, that give us incredible intelligence and the power of the EH.
At the age of 20, the government decides whether or not you are ready to join our elite double double squad. If you are, they recruit you and you are a member for life. JD is actually part of our elite squad. He is the captain of the 91st double double squad, and his Id number is tim019747380bit.DD006

Oh no. I've said too much. JD, get your squad to brainwash all the Americans before news of our secret army gets out!
(+)ASSASSIN(+)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-01-23 18:35, Juxtaposition wrote:
Canada may rule, but only if you are talking aboot clean streets, and the fact that they control the world with a shadowy elite squad of a force so secret that we don't even know its name (its probably something like the "Eh? Force"

Since its still one of my favorite shows of all time I think the name is really the "EH? Team"..........Just a thought

FingerDemon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juxtaposition, it's interesting how you juxtaposed the August coup with the Cuban missile crisis. Just living up to your name, eh?

DOH, now you Canadians have me doing it!

FD
Kjeldorian Royal Guard 42

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The American Civil War was one of the most influential turning points in our country's history. We stood up and battled for basic inalienable HUMAN rights. And we won. We may not be the most perfect country but we try our hardest to protect our fellow man.

=US-V= Member/Event Coordinator - Retired
<eVa> Founding Father/Leadership/Webmaster - Retired
Ville Admin - Retired
fatA$$

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, the common misconception is that the Civil War was about human rights, aka slavery.

the reality is that the central focus was States' rights. the end of slavery was just a wonderful side-benefit of the war.

I'll shut up now
SpeCies

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-01-23 16:28, Snaggletooth wrote:
I was just reading and saw something about the Civil War. That's an oxymoron, war is far from civil. Any thoughts on this?

http://www.theville.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=2182&forum=5&34

3rd page

Species wrote,

Was it not some guy from the Civil war named Robert E. Lee who said "Can't we just
get Along..

Yeah, I have some,

What you read was off a post of mine.I was using the Civil war as a backdrop to that
expression "Can't we just get Along"

So I think the term Oxymoron is a good term for a person who misinterpeted the usage of the term Civil war (Being the event) not an opinion of such.There isn't anything Civil about any war I agree.With that said,

One of my favorite sayings,

True Southerners have always known that the South is more American than the rest of America.

BitterBeerFace

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Canadians (the english speaking ones, anyway)... we (the Americans) should have taken over, then you wouldn't have needed to put up with so many years of those darned french speaking jerks and all their hastles...

I'm proud to be an imperialist american pig!
Oink Oink.

hehehe

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: