FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Free Weekend Opinions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat Source
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greebo
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Free Weekend Opinions Reply with quote

So, did you try DoD:S for the first time this weekend? What were your opinions of it? Will you play again?
LJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only map I didn't get to play was kalt. The maps looked really impressive and I liked some of the small changes to the layout.

In dod1.3 I like to long distance sniping with the mp40 and thompson. It dod:s it seemed impossible to do that. The spray seemed a lot wider than I anticipated and I could empty a whole clip and not have 1 bullet hit. Up close or medium range the accuracy of the gun wasn't that bad.

Grenades seemed a lot heavier. Either that or I have to completely re-learn how to throw a grenade in dod:s compared to dod1.3.

Strafing while sniping was a lot smoother than I was expecting and seemed much easier to kill people that way. But, trying to snipe moving targets seemed a lot more difficult. But, that's probably because I just need to get a feel for the gun.

Playing on theville source server seemed a lot like playing on a pub server. There was no admin around and was a lot of immature players that just liked to swear all the time.

I won't be playing dod:s for these 2 reasons:
1. There's no way I'm paying for a game that is essentially a graphics upgrade of an existing game. Also, I paid for HL2. That should entitle me to receive dod:s for free since it's really just a modification of HL2.
2. The community with theville and dod1.3 is the biggest reason why I play. When that server is down I'd rather not play than go to another server.
JtH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my computer pooped on dod:s, so i have to wait till my vid card arrives.

ill give you my opinion then.
Malanthros

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed my time with DoD:S no matter how short it was this weekend.

Although I got a little confused on some maps, they are still well done and a few extra features like the catwalk in the wheelhouse on Kalt are a lot of fun.

I'm still dissapointed with the kar'ing and garand, and having no handgun with the Kar is still in my opinion the most retarded thing in the world, lol.

Sniping is better now, I enjoy that I cant get a one shot kill just by hitting someone wherever.

I had no problem adjusting to DoD:S as some people thought us 1.3ers would. I have played CS S and perhaps that helped me be ready for some changes.

Overall, I did enjoy it, but did not enjoy the lack of villuns and whatnot on the server. Like some have said, they enjoy the community the most, and this is true. I'll be sticking to 1.3, but perhaps I'll pick up DoD:S at some point in the future. I just wish I hadnt bought HL2 thinking i would get DoD:S for free when it came out. Stupid Valve.

Thank you Loka for helping me realize my dream of having a Sig.
Sinnder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I had a real problem with low fps.

For the most part the accuracy of the guns was really bad from far away, the thompson, bar, and even the mg-42.

The german boozka was interesting though. I liked the pistol.

I didnt like the game over all. Felt too much like CS:S.

And they took away my favorite part the gun butt.
KopiKat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for someone who really hated DoD, I actually really enjoyed DoD:S. It included almost none of the retarded elements of DoD1.3 (such as MP40 sniping, k98 sniping, and constant MG42 spam). In addition, my favorite class, the Support Infantry with the BAR now has TWO grenades, a nice melee weapon (the trench knife/knuckle cluster), and a far more effective BAR. It's MORE accurate than in DoD 1.3, it has the same kick, but also has an extremely useful semi-auto fire option. In addition, they eliminated the phantom nade issue by making nades smoke when they land, so that you can see them. They also removed the 1 shot kill aspect of the unscoped k98 (which gives us automatic classes a fighting chance). The graphics are wonderful, the new BAR sounds absolutely awesome, and its easy to avoid MG42 spam now with the smoke grenade from the Thompson class.

In short, I think it is a VAST improvement over 1.3. I may actually play DoD now.

-KK
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game can be fun at times, but I still like 1.3 better. Like other people have said, the lack of regulars playing source is enough to make me stick to the original. I do like source Kalt, though. I think it is the only map really worth playing...

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hamese
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a noob at both, I probably spent more time trying to learn my way around without irritting people than I did actually playing. I liked the feel better than my experience with 1.3, so if I had to choose I would play DoD:S. So, we'll see if I purchase it and play it.

Also, I tried to rocket jump onto a balcony and I killed myself.... whats up with that, and no bhoping?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LJ wrote:

Playing on theville source server seemed a lot like playing on a pub server. There was no admin around and was a lot of immature players that just liked to swear all the time.

I

for the source guys, in our defense usually the admins have a decent hold of the the server, obviously you dont need admins in a server full of regs..
I quoted you because you pretty much summed up the reason we dont have traffic or admins on our end.....half of the ville if not more simply wont make the change, if the core "regs" would make the change then the problem you descibe wouldnt happen.
lets also keep in mind free weekend brings out the worst of them.

Seriously though guys, wth? was the extra 10 bucks for the silver package too much?
shovelnose
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never got to play it. kept getting HL2 errors everytime i would try to fire it up. re-downloaded it twice and it never would work.

#Fist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PReD wrote:

Seriously though guys, wth? was the extra 10 bucks for the silver package too much?

I got it as a gift Not going to tell them they're cheap hehe
junkyard
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hardcore 1.3 until the day I got source, and realized someone from the dev team lives in my head, and took notes on everything I hated about 1.3 No more getting shot in the toe and getting killed by snipers. The kar is only a one shot kill to the head, and chest. SMG sniping is gone, and to respond to previous post all the guns have the exact same accuracy except the SMG's and pistols there is a fire test in one of these source threads that shows it.

Source best game ever and as dev team marches forward, and makes changes, and adds classes, and brits the game will only get better.(there is also more code for tanks commands in the last updates??)

THe hAXis of evil
KopiKat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah and Flash no longer has british on it. Praise the lord.

-KK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personnally, I really enjoy DoD:S better, ine term of gameplay, graphics, greandes, etc. However, each time I go back to 1.3, I think the game is more fun. I doN,t knw why... accuracy is way better in 1.3 and maybe it makes for faster games.

So I do both according to my mood

Rock2..... JUST SAY NO!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
junkyard
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KopiKat wrote:
Oh yeah and Flash no longer has british on it. Praise the lord.

-KK

yeah but there are a lot of people out there that really miss the enfield, and the bren, and the one I miss most of all "PIAT!!" actually i just miss being able to say that in game piat piat piat over and over again until the admin tells me to shutup

THe hAXis of evil
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat Source All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: