FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Lock up at Desktop/Windows
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rANCOR hUNTER

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just stick your WinXP disc in and see what happens That's what I would do.
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing, it still says the same thing...disk boot error, insert system disk and press enter.

Colossians 2:20 "You have died with Christ, and he has set you free from the evil powers of this world. So why do you keep on following rules of the world"
Simpleman
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm that either sounds like your memory has went bad or your MB is going bad. I had corrupted memory that gave me that error for the longest time. I tried reformatting 10+ times afater a couple weeks I would get the error again. So I finally replaced the memory and poof it was gone untill 5 months later the MB did the same thing.

If you extra ram try using it and see if that works.
mUj0
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfourtunetly, i dont have extra RAM . but there is a lifetime warrenty on the RAM i have. But how does that stop the computer from booting? it almost sounds like my HD isnt there. that windows isnt there. I get to the screen right after the screen to get to BIOS. thats it. it wont boot up any further.

Colossians 2:20 "You have died with Christ, and he has set you free from the evil powers of this world. So why do you keep on following rules of the world"
Simpleman
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's like when you charge a battery and you use before it's fully charged and it remembers where it was charged to. Memory does the same thing and might be corrupt.

Tring taking out your ram and then booting it without it in there. Of course it won't bootup, but wait untill it goes though it's paces then shut it down and then reinstall the ram.

I did this several times and it has fixed things as well....lol
mUj0
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, i'll try that. but it will have to wait. I 'm getting my wisdom teeth taken out at 9:45 am, (in an hour ). And apparently i'll be too drugged up to do anything afterwards.

I just want to really thank you all in advance.. Its great that you guys can help me out:P and i really appreciate it!

Canadian Rifle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do alot of spyware and virus scans sounds like u had the same problem with me....or u might have a virus or spyware in windows itself and/or even u could have a virus/spyware in ur actual virus protection/spyware protection!!!sucks!! also u said something that it might be the HD well mine would boot properly and it turned out that windows was corrupt!!so i dunno

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Rough Justice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should be able to run chkdsk from the windows cd to see if you HD is jacked.
mUj0
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like i said before...,my computer wont run the cd!

It says: BOOT CD: INSERT BOOT SYSTEM DISK THEN PRESS ENTER.

I do this and NOTHIHNG. I'm gonna try working on it today, i'm feeling much better and my mouth has finally stoped bleeding.

mUj0
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simpleman wrote:
Well it's like when you charge a battery and you use before it's fully charged and it remembers where it was charged to. Memory does the same thing and might be corrupt.

Tring taking out your ram and then booting it without it in there. Of course it won't bootup, but wait untill it goes though it's paces then shut it down and then reinstall the ram.

I did this several times and it has fixed things as well....lol

I did exaclty as you said, boot w/out RAM, then put it in after shutting down..still didnt help. I still cant get into windows, and safe mode wont work either, i cant even accesss it. The only thing i have access to is BIOS. I've checked all my hardware, everything is plugged in securely, no dust bunnies in cracks or anything... i'm becoming very sad I should of just ordered a computer pre built

Simpleman
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried booting with a boot disk ? You can D/L them right off the net . Maybe if you can atleast get it to boot you can back files up. Sounds like you need a clean install. I learned to partion my HD to where windows is in it's own partition that way all I have to do is reformat Windows and not lose all my info. That and I have a second HD that is a copy of my main. Then the other 2 are for whatever....lol Anyways try D/L a boot disk and see if that works. Might try running the fix off your XP disk as well. I would try the boot disk first and go from there.

I will do some searching today and see if I am missing anything. I have been so busy lately haven't had much time to even touch me computer .

Make sure in your bios that whatever drive you are using is listed first in the bootup cycle . Just make sure the disk is in the drive on startup.
mUj0
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm..i thought the windows cd was a boot disk...anyways, it wont read it at all. and what website do i go to? google it? (to finda d/l for boot disk)

this boot disk..is that how i could reformat? since my windows cd isnt working?

another thing...one of those threads that stutter posted said something about a ticking sound with the same error i got...said it was a damaged HD, only repairable by technician. and that the ticking was a sound of it failing...or just the mobo is bad.. I had some initial problems with my motherboard when i first got it, if anyone remembers..i wonder if its going bad? or is bad lol. I've only had this computer for barely 3 months. Its not that i have a lot of information on it, just my tax info . the rest is everything with steam, and all my other files n stuff, nothing that cant be re-downloaded. i do have another HD, but all it has on it is my other games.

(+)ASSASSIN(+)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive seen this alot at work, usually has to do with a bad sector on your hard disk where your MBR resides (Master Boot Record) Here is what I would do

1. Go to this site and download this file (will require 6 floppy disks I believe) http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=55820EDB-5039-4955-BCB7-4FED408EA73F&displaylang=en

Not all XP CD's are bootable, this will boot and allow you to read from the CD.

2. First try to launch the Recovery Console, once in there as was said before run a chkdsk /r That will find all your files on bad sectors and attempt to move them to good parts of the disk.

Once that completes try to reboot and see if the issue is resolved. If not, reboot again using the boot disks and load the recovery console once more.

Once back in the recovery console, if you have only one hard drive with only one partition on it, try running a FIXMBR, that will rebuild your MBR to the windows default and will hopefully replace the corrupted MBR with a working one. If neither of those work, you may have to do a complete reinstall of the OS.

IF your unsure about any of these steps, be sure to ask before trying them.
sgt stutter
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try installing the other HD and see what happens, couldn't hurt. If it works great if not then you may need to look at the MB. When reading about your issues and the errors your getting sounds like the HD can't be accessed. Like simple said try it with a boot disk first and see what happens.

click--><eVa>SuperGreg

R.I.P Trigger Happy
mUj0
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, dont ask me how i did this, but somehow, i put the windows CD in, and the boot disk that i just made in, at the same time, and i'm now in windows!!! woohoo! i'm currently backing everything up!

now what do i do? lol

edit: holy crap, it says the backup takes 4 days! and all on floppies? what the crap? is there a better way?

edit2: lol, i found out that nero software has a backup for cd/dvd's

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: