FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Disable Map Vote?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat Source
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rough Justice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Disable Map Vote? Reply with quote

Map vote and customs were cool for the people that are regulars, but lately traffic has been done on TV1. I would rather play on a full server than running around cappin flags. I was wondering what some other regulars thought about this?

My idea would be to cut the customs back - maybe Sora and Solerno - or no customs at all and bring back a standard rotation of maps. Since the voting has been enabled I have not played Avalanche or Anzio at all - Argentan, Donner and Flash only Once - and flash was extended (ouch) - I have got some good Kalt time in - Tiger is a stat whores wet dream - but the randomness of the maps drives some people away. Usually when the sever had 4 or 5 (on standard rotation) it would fill up fairly quickly - now 4 or 5 can play for an hour on a custom with no one else joining.

We are already down to one Source server - so what do you think we could do to increase traffic?
merf
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I setup the map vote system to try and lure players to the server....but I think your on to something here. I have expreienced it firsthand. The server will start to fill up and then a custom map wins the vote and we're back to 4-5 players. I am up for anything to help get some traffic again, and I have no problem scrapping the mapvote system if it will help keep the server full.

So how about a set rotation with a few customs in it i.e. salerno and tiger? (my favorites Anxious )
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree a set rotation with customs would work better than a map vote for customs

Perhaps the regular maps (minus argentan?) plus a few custom maps.

I'll try and remember to put up messages saying the map pack can be found on the website, that'll hopefully help things.
Rough Justice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally - I think a set rotation of the offical maps - Argentan included - Then maybe a vote (poll) of how many customs to add to the rotation and then vote (poll) for which customs to add to the rotation. The server was always full in the evenings just a week or two ago - now when I check its usually on a custom map with maybe 4 or 5 people.

My proposal is Official Map Rotation + Sora + Solarno + Tiger. Then monitor what happens - If the players drop off after the official rotation - then eliminate the custom that has the most player loss. I think there is enough of us who play in the evenings - and the lunch time stat whore crew - (names left out to protect the programmers) that we could get a pretty good idea of what is working and what isn't - currently its NOT working. I haven't played on the server when its full since the first day Kalt came out.

I know we asked for Customs and I appreciate the time it takes to set it up, but I am just stating what I have observed and what to generate some ideas on getting the numbers back up - hell straight official maps would be fine to start too - I think the set rotation is the key.

Rough -

I ain't no brokeback boy
junkyard
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to have to agree the server was completely full almost nightly before the vote extends, and customs. Reg dod players ( i used to be one ) love customs because they got tired of the official maps by 2004. DOD:S players will come around to them, but it may be a bit early for some.

I really like Salerno, and Sora, but to me tiger is a scrim map i enjoy every now, and then. It is full of stat hoey goodness though.

I say put it back to official maps in set rotation, and see how that does.

THe hAXis of evil
BENDER

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well my vote definitely goes to "bring back the officials in set rotation" damn i havent had time to play, but starting this friday and next week my shovel will be after rough #2gunfire
Rough Justice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BENDER - you do realize you have to get close to use the shovel right?

I see most of the opinions saying set rotation and official - maybe one custom or no? I really don't care as long as teh server starts filling up again.
Ricen
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys i'm happy with the current rotation. We just need more villans. The new maps are cool, down loads are fast, and even with my underpowered pc I no longer have any lag. We have to keep in mind that The Ville was all but shut down for a good while. It may take some time for people to find their way back to us. Now it may just be me, but if i didn't know the IP's for The Ville servers I would never be there. I have not been able to find any of The Ville servers when I do a random server search. Also when i'm looking for a server all I look at is the number of players, no map is fun without players.

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died.
Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
- General George S. Patton, Jr
Richter-
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see a more stable map rotation, I have backed away from source due to the server never being full and gone back to TheVille 1.6 servers because they are always full.

junkyard
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright marathon session on the ville starting friday night to get it filled back up.

THe hAXis of evil
Ricen
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

junkyard wrote:
Alright marathon session on the ville starting friday night to get it filled back up.

.TVR is meeting on TV3 fridaynight, how about Sat.?

Rough Justice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my Friday night cleared for some source action - I dont play 1.3, 1.6 whatever - never have - never will. What about supporting source? the 1.6 servers always have players! .TVR needs to come to source Friday night - I love smacking the l337 1.6ers who cry "it aint the same" cause there getting teabagged after every frag!

how about 1.6 .TVR against source .TVR and regs Firday night? #Beer
Ricen
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a TVR meeting, Ya know ------ get together, meet new members, hatch out a diabolical plan to take over the known universe kind of thang.

We have been working on this for a while, and i'm realy looking forward to it myself. Should be lots-o-fun!

Any other time I would be all over it. In fact, I will be on tonight

Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rough Justice wrote:
I have my Friday night cleared for some source action - I dont play 1.3, 1.6 whatever - never have - never will. What about supporting source? the 1.6 servers always have players! .TVR needs to come to source Friday night - I love smacking the l337 1.6ers who cry "it aint the same" cause there getting teabagged after every frag!

how about 1.6 .TVR against source .TVR and regs Firday night? #Beer

I am extemely confused after reading this.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ricen
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

banana

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat Source All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: