FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
avalanche stacking
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LJ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: avalanche stacking Reply with quote

Recently there's been a lot of stacking of good players on axis on avalanche. Avalanche is one of those maps that can be an even match but it gets to a point where axis just can really control that map.

You can't get up that road without having nade after nade toss into your face. I'm not suggesting people stop throwing nades. They want to do as well as they can on maps. What I am suggesting is that those same people that keep playing axis (you know who you are) to play allies for a change.
Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it may look like i pick axis all of the time, but ( with the exception of glider, and even then sometimes) i hit auto assign and i go axis form that about 80% of the time. frosty has the same dilema so we changed the name to the auto axis button.
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this also and you will be hard pressed to find a stat-whoring player that will not want to be on the team that will have the advantage.(especially if they have a nice souped up machine and they end up being one of the first in the game) I recently upgraded my ram to 1.5 gig at home and I am consistently one of the first 3 people to join when the server switches maps. Most of the time if I hit auto assign, I'll get axis too, but I hate playing axis on donner, you can't get to the left side field as fast as the allies. Avalanche has always been slanted toward axis, so the best you can do on allies is keep the axis guys out of your apartments on the right and work from there.

Good Luck.
Frosty1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LJ, I have seen this problem since I started playing DOD. Can you say nade spam, (The best way to have a better kill to death ratio). I would rather play allies on Avalanche( Nothing more satisfying than an Allied win)
The problem I have and always will with dod_avalanche is that allies always stop,prone or camp the first capture point. Causing nade spam to become more effective for the axis. Team work is the key, to at least a stalemate when playing against a "Stacked" team.
s.Squirrel
The Nut Stalker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frosty your lower intestines fell out and landed on your sig
innocent
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s.Squirrel wrote:
Frosty your lower intestines fell out and landed on your sig

lol squirrel....i was thinking somewhere along those lines....nice phalic object nonetheless hunny

Well....i don't know if LJ started this post cause i tweaked yesturday over the same thing, but i totally agree with him! We all know that the axis have an advantage on that map, so why is it that a lot of our power players go there. It is not hard for any power player to go 50+kills on the axis side, or 100+kills if you are like OXO, but if you look at all the power players who are playing on the map, usually about 60-75% of them are on Axis side.(the side that already has the advantage)

Cmon is right about the appartments and Frosty is right about people camping and stopping near first, but EVERY time i play that map (usually with Frosty now) there are people telling people not to camp and to hold the appartment and the church.

I think if you really want to solve this problem it is up to the power players(you know who you are) to make sure that there is no team stacking in the form of talent.
I know some power players like Squirrel and Apalm and Bullseye(thank God he is back too) are always on allies and its a good thing.....that doesn't even mean that we aren't going to lose....just means that it won't happen every 40 seconds! These guys aren't always on though and it is up to the power players to make sure that things are competitive.

Avalanche used to be my favourite map when i first started playing DOD, now i would rather play charlie or even forest!!! I usually only stay to play avalanche now 'cause i know that the allies are going to need some help....so come on guys and make the game more competitive and the server more enjoyable to play on for everyone.

There is my ranting for the month
Lt. Black

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice avatar, Squirrel.

And the solution to not getting 'naded: take the overhead apartment route.

LJ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did post this partly because of what you said innocent. It's been something I've been noticing for awhile and when other regulars start to complain about it as well in game I decided to make this post.

If you're hitting auto-assign then this thread isn't directed at you. I hit auto-assign for most maps as well and 80% of the time I end up on axis.

Sometimes it seems like the people on axis aren't even trying to win the game. They're just there to get kills. Capping the last point for them would slow them down on their hunt for 100 kills. This just makes it even more frustrating for the allies. You have axis camping top of church which renders all the allies sniping spots useless. Then snipers can't get up the path in position to snipe people on top of the church because of all the nades.
squidly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhhh, cmon!!!! Stop whinning about stacking on avalanche!!!

We had stat before about % of win/loss in each map and the fact are that MOST of the map are highly unbalanced toward the allied!!! More precisely, the only 4 maps that was unbalanced toward the axis was avalanche, flash, switch and zalec!!! All the other map (~14-15 maps), was balanced toward the allied! See discussion about that in the following link!!!

http://www.theville.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18438&highlight=unbalanced

I'm playing mostly Axis (~90% of the time) because I prefer the Axis weapons, thats all. The only maps that I habitually play as an allied are Caen or Flash, which is one (flash) of the most unbalanced map toward the axis. That is not my fault, I like to be in the underdog team... So as you can see, players playing mostly as axis like me are most of the time in a losing situation because of all that!!! So, can we have too a little map that would be our cherries on the banana split, just like the 15 others maps that are yours!!!???

P.S. There is a very efficient way to make it more difficult for the axis to throw nade toward the first flag. Each time someone is doing it, I have to eat my banana split without cherries and it make me sad... So, you just have to use it!!!! And If you dont know it, that is too bad for you because I will not tell you it... I still want to eat my banana split with cherries!!!
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always auto-assign and end up on axis...

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LJ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raising an issue about team stacking isn't necessarily whining. Like I said I've seen regulars mention this as an issue in game and I happen to agree with them. It's a valid complaint.
innocent
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't really care who you are.....if you don't think that team-talent stacking is a problem on avalanche you should check your pulse or get a cat scan done. -----inno's changing into gordo----everyone down!!!

it really is an easy solution.....if you know the axis team is going to be stacked.....don't hit auto assign(especially if you are a power player)....you can keep hitting that "1" key until you get on the allies. DOn't hit it too fast though, unless you want to be a rifleman.

Seriously i think we have guys on axis that are competing to get 100+ kills......and once again i would like to remind everyone that the STATS are not working.
squidly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

innocent wrote:
i would like to remind everyone that the STATS are not working.

He have a good point!!!
squidly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

innocent wrote:
i don't really care who you are.....if you don't think that team-talent stacking is a problem on avalanche you should check your pulse or get a cat scan done.

Dunno if that was directed at me but i'll answer it anyway!!!

I probably should check my pulse as you said because I don't think that it is a major problem, not more on avalanche than any other map!!!

Yes sometime a team get seriously kicked in the balls, sometime because skillfull players are unequally distributed, sometime because of the map by itself, sometime because a team has a few afk, bla bla bla, bla bla bla...! It happen for allied in avalanche and for axis on other map (even sometime axis are kicked in the butt by allies on avalanche). It is a reality and it will always be... Even if everybody was hitting the auto-assign button everytime, therell still have sometime unbalanced team.

So, my personnal view of all that is, when that happen, I'm trying the best that I can to help my team the best that I can and if despite that we still loose 50 times on that particular map, that is sad but not more than that!!! Next map will be better!!! And I will add more, to a certain level, it has to be sometime slightly unbalanced!!! Wouldn't that be a little boring if all the map and team were always perfectly balanced??? All the action would happen at the middle flag and none will never win!!! Don't you like hearing your team song after a win??? Where I agree with you that stacking is a real problem, is when the team are stacked over and over, map after map with the same players... But I think it is a different problem of what we talk here!!!

So, just to conclude, it happen yes, and I personnaly dont think that it is a major issue. It is not worst on avalanche than any other map where allies has a strong advantage due to the map (or because more skillfull prefer playing as allies on a particular map). And finally, concerning the supposedly "stat whoreness" of some player, I don't wanna say that there is no such type of player but I'm just asking myself a small question. I don't know which is worst... The guy who choose is team according to the player skill already signed-in in order to have a 100-0 k/d ratio or the guy who is complaining because he sometime obtain a neg ratio because supposedly, of team stacking!!! Isn't it showing that this person could be himself a stat whore???

Nothing against you, Inno, just want to share my point of view, even if it is clearly not the same as you!!!

See you in Ava where I could nade you down the hallway over and over in order to reach my 100 kills mark!!!
innocent
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squidly.....that remark wasn't aimed directly at you. I got too much love for all you guys to be hatin'. I think i wrote that at 3 in the morning....didn't realize it came out like that. That said i say the following generally to everyone:

I'm not denying the fact that other maps give advantage to a certain team.....whether allies or axis. Especially maps such as Charlie, Krafstoff, Zalec, and others where one team needs to capture.

But on an "average" map where both teams start out even, i don't think there is a comparison that can be drawn to Avalanche in terms of "consistently-unbalanced" teams. It hasn't always been this way....it has gotten worse over the last couple of months....to the point where i believe it is an issue worth talking about. If you are not on TV4 a lot you may not have even noticed.

All i was trying to say was that we should try to even it out a little. That goes for any map......it just seems to happen ALOT more frequently on avalanche and that is probably why LJ started this thread and i also feel strongly about it.

There is a little bit of a problem, beyond just a complaining nature, if ALMOST EVERY time avalanche is on, the allies fight to hold the first flag. Personally, I'll never complain about something unless it is worth complaining about. It's not just in my own interest that i'm writing about this either......and i believe it wasn't just in LJ's own interest when he started this thread.....but for the sake of "theville" community, enjoyable-competitive gameplay, and all people who play on the TV4 server.

Maybe it is just my nature.....and that i always route for the underdog that keeps me on the allies on that particular map. I just thought i would use this thead for two purposes:

1. To help speak on behalf of other ville regulars who are growing more and more frustrated.........and

2. As a friendly reminder to some of the ville regulars, especially the power-players, to help keep things competitive

----these are the confessions of a ville junkie----
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: