FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Machinema

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greebo
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Machinema Reply with quote

Just a thought, but would anyone be interested in making movies with source?
I haven't got any plans or anything yet but I just saw the movie in the update on steam and that kind of things looks great fun to make.

Or we could try a comedy route, or whatever.
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, but a machine enema doesn't sound very fun...

How would we go about doing something like that?

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Greebo
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the main problem is 'filming' it. Essentially you need someone who has a powerful enough computer to do the game and either s-video out to another computer, or a VCR or whatever, to record it. Then they need to put it back into a computer for editing (usually takes up a lot of space).

Everything else is about having people to act in it, and do voices...and scripts.
JtH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

id be interested but my computer is crap. but id be glad to do voices or something like that.
Gamepro65

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey greebo, in order to make a video, you dont need to do the s-video/vcr. there is a command in source to output alot of TGA/BMP Files and you use a video editor to put it into an avi format. I would really love to help out, but my computer isnt powerful enough to run hl2 at max settings for best visual effect. As for actors and such, id be glad to. My video card died but im getting a new computer for xmas so assuming it handles hl2 decently im game.

Greebo
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I know you don't have to, but it is the best way of getting the video out without affecting the game's performance too much. Another option would be to use fraps to record it but again, that's very intensive for the machine.

My machine is no-where near good enough for this stuff. My main concern would be to get the person who is recording the stuff to have their game running at as high a quality as possible.

I was thinking maybe it'd be possible to cobble together some sort of film situation re-make as a trial run, e.g. reservoir dogs, where they're in the warehouse pointing guns at each other. That way we don't need to worry about script or even sound, because we can overlay the sound on the dod video files.

Using a vcr isn't too intensive on your machine - I've done that before, but I can't get the images back to the computer because I don't have a video in port.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: