FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Black Friday Survivors

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJ George
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Black Friday Survivors Reply with quote

This is for all of us who have survived working on Black Friday. I dont want to hear people who went shopping and had to wait in long lines, that is your own choice, I want to hear from those who had to work. Say where you worked, when, what you did, and if you know, how well your stored did in it's district or company, and any memorable moments from the day

Me -

Kohls
6 am - 2:30pm
Replenishment (Aka keeping the shelves stocked, or tring too atleast)
#1 in the District, #5 in the company as of 3 pm
I would have to say the lady walking right into the 7 foot tall stack of boxes and getting mad because the person who put them there should have thought she was going to wal there. Sadly I missed the Running of the Customers this year, but I hear it was quite entertaining. At least this year they did not break our door of the hinges. That was a nightmare last year because it was cold on that side since the heat was not staying in the building.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok lets see here.

wal-mart
4:30 am- 1 pm
electronics dept. hourly associate.
$65,000 in business for electronics dept alone as of 7 am.

our store was recently renovated and opened as a super center. so we had all sorts of space and all sorts of new items. the thing about it is... being a super center the store is open 24/7 on thanksgiving. which allows for no set-up or planning for black friday and it also means the doors don't get opened and a flood of people come in. It means a flood of people are there whenever i clocked in and everyone huddled around the different stacks of merch. the most fun part of the day? and i mean most annoying by that just so you know.
This old lady was in and asking about the newest harry potter dvd. well there are only 3 on dvd and i told her that. she said no! the new one was on dvd and she saw it across town for $20 but she thought she could get it at walmart for less ( i wanted to laugh in her face) i tried explaining to her that the movie had come out in theatres only a week ago and not even pleasantville or bedazzled came out to dvd that quickly. she swore to me though that it was across town. i said.. well maybe it was a game you saw but those are all $40-50 since they just came out. so i showed her what it looked like and she said no... it was the new movie for $20. i showed her what we had and while there i'd assume it was her daughter and grandson were there. she asked her daughter to explain it to me. and the grandson was like, prisoner of azkaban is the newest one out for the systems. i politely snipped back. i'm sorry but goblet of fire is the newst game out. jsut out in fact and the movie is jsut now in theatres. then the daughter looked at me and said. she wants the new harry potter for game cube. i said ok! something that finally made sense. i went over and showed her and she still swore it was $20. then i walked away. no apology for her telling me straight to my face i was wrong when in fact she was the one with these black friday delusions... that was at about 11 or so... the rest of the day was jsut so much worse.
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok let's see what I got

Kodak-photographer
KSC branch-5,000
9:30-6:30

Ok I know that amount of money sounds wussy to some but being a photographer the day after thanksgiving we had our aim set for 2k so I'm proud of myself for that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kahlan Amnell
Queen of Spam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok...

Best Buy
3am-noon.
Merchandising team
from 3am-5am, setting the ad with all the new prices for the specials and sales. Rest of day: handing out door busters, guarding ticketed items, greeting customers, spot cleaning floors with tape on my hand, checking bulk stack items to make sure they were safe, straightening the floor, doing carryouts, mainly 27in tv's and computer packages, even did one 32in tv, don't know how I lifted that, back still hurts. Cleaned up the outside, 3 large bags of ant infested donuts, sodas, coffees, wrappers, etc. Very gross people, not that hard to throw stuff away. Gave directions to everyone coming in. When fixtures sold out of stuff, I had to reset them with random products from the warehouse. sooooo much fun, I like being busy

next.
Books-a-Million
3pm-midnight.
training/Cafe (Joe Muggs)
Only my fourth day working there, second in the cafe, so, I was trained for all of 20 mins yesterday then left to run it on my own. Yeah. Making lattes, cappuccinos, breves, americanos, frappes, teas, whatever. Wasn't too bad, died out so I didn't have to worry bout a huge line except once, I'm still kinda slow, have to check to make sure I'm making everything right with the cheat book, but it's good. Best part, first time making a vanilla latte, guy watches, I finish, he sips, and is like, WOW, this is good! And he hands me a 5. WOOT. (more than his drink cost lol) Made about 23 in tips - half of which went to my "trainer" who spent most of the day "cleaning" the outside (translation- smoking). But it's all good

http://ctprofiles.net/799963
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kixx
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok......

Walmart- Florida- Supercenter
Blitz and/ or Black Friday
5am-11am
Dept. Mgr.- Furniture( going MIT program in Jan. '06 )

Our morning was pretty uneventful, we only had about maybe 200 people there at 5am when it started, the laptops, pc's, Big Plasma TV's, and Digital Camcorders were gone in the first 15 minutes( since we only had 10 of each item, except the big plasma tv..we had 4 of those).
We had a quick run on the "crappy" 20" and 23" Symphonic TV sets for about an half an hour, then it just died.
My dept., which is furniture had the "kids mushroom" chairs for blitz....whoopee...what an hot item...I sold 6 of them .
I basically ended up just helping do carryouts for peeps buying the TV's, and helping our loss prevention(security) guy keep an eye on people trying to shoplift.

We still have about 10 pallets of those 23" TV's...now marked down to $88.00.

I didn't even hear about what the sales numbers were like, obviously not good or our store manager would have been bragging about them today.

Ltr all,
Kixx

PS. If ya need a kids mushroom chair that come in funky different colors, stop by Sebastian, Fla.........I'll make ya a swellllll deal

Kixxin' Azz in DoD ~
mUj0
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kixx wrote:

Dept. Mgr.- Furniture( going MIT program in Jan. '06 )

DONT DO IT!

Colossians 2:20 "You have died with Christ, and he has set you free from the evil powers of this world. So why do you keep on following rules of the world"
sandbag

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for a bank, platform side (aka not a teller). To be honest, I thought friday was going to be a day where I could get caught up on some miscellaneous paperwork. With it being black friday and all, I was thinking everyone would be out at the stores. If they were in the bank, it was to get money from the tellers or atm. Well I really couldn't have been more wrong. on an average day have 5 customers, make about 6 sales calls, and deal with miscellaneous phone calls and customer issues. From my tracking sheet:

1 checking account
3 savings accounts
3 debit cards ordered, connected, and pins issued
1 safe deposit box
1 equity line closed
2 equity line applications placed
1 equity line packet printed and organized for a saturday closing (i wasnt there to close it)

goal for each day is 5 products sold... loan apps dont count unless they close, so thats 9 products for the day...

this doesnt include some old hag complaining about overdraft protection fees on her credit card. our bank can connect a CC from our bank as overdraft protection. a nominal OD fee is assessed when funds are transferred. I did the math in front of her and showed her that without the credit card, she would have been overdrawn for close to 500$ throughout the past month and thats just in bank fees let alone the embarassment of returned checks and whatnot(check with your institutions on your overdraft fees and your overdraft protection fees, do the math and you can see the fees add up quickly without ODP) "well im still closing my accounts here"... i swear, i hate stupid people

then i had to turndown a loan and tell another guy that his was still pending...

that was a rather eventful friday
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: