FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Friendly Fire Server?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Want a Friendly Fire Ville Server???
Yes please!
48%
 48%  [ 13 ]
No thanks!
51%
 51%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 27

Surly Pig

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Friendly Fire Server? Reply with quote

Searched, and it doesn't seem this has come up before... The thought hit me in-game last night, and the other players at the time seemed to like the idea.

There's three DOD servers again... why not make one with FF on???

I assume now wouldn't be the best time for a drastic change with all the recent updates... but might be something to keep in mind for the future if there's enough interest. Would this invite problems with the current stats system?

Let's discuss!
cobra
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i myself like friendly fire.

BUT FF makes it easy on the llamas to disrupt the game and empty the server.
mUj0
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cobra wrote:
i myself like friendly fire.

BUT FF makes it easy on the llamas to disrupt the game and empty the server.

yup

Colossians 2:20 "You have died with Christ, and he has set you free from the evil powers of this world. So why do you keep on following rules of the world"
LJ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not in favor of FF at all.

1. There's the obvious reason of someone taking pleasure in TK'ing people on their team.

2. Many people just think FF means don't shoot your teammates. But, it also means being aware of your teammates' actions as well.
i. Not walking in front of their fire.
ii. Not running out when a teammate is obviously priming a nade to throw.
iii. being aware of your map to note player movements. Just because an enemy usually comes through a door doesn't mean it's always the enemy.
iv. Shoot first ask questions later is a bad policy.
v. people love to spam nades

3. Admin programs in place to punish team killing is usually flawed. The popular one allows people to forgive, slap (50% health) or slay. Too often people slay you when it wasn't even your fault (see list above). This leads to frustration. A game should be a cure for stress, not a cause.

4. Noobs are people too.

Yes, I realize that you're not suggesting changing all theville servers to FF. I just wanted to point out the reasons why I have a general disliking for FF. It probably wouldn't be so bad on a theville server because there many skilled regulars and the admins are excellent. I just hope that it wouldn't be theville 4. Currently, that's the server that I spend 95% of my time on and only go to another server if 4 is down.
X.O.Skeleton

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liked FF on NS cuz I played it competitively and it was like a practise and admins were almost always on so llamas got a boot up their butts.
But I play DOD for fun, so I dont want to practise using FF and I dont see admins in too often (maby cuz I play on a bit different times than you) so llamas could make a hell out of TV(s).
Thats why I say no to FF on DOD
Sry for the typos

"No gut, no glory"
Greebo
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like FF, so long as it was well policed. I'm not sure we have enough constantly playing admins to police this.
At my old clan we had 2 servers with FF, and apart from very late at night there was always at least 1 admin on who could be found on one of the servers.
I realise we have the complaints dept for when there's no admin on but really you need admins playing to police an FF server.
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had an FF DoD server for a while, and I think it worked out okay. I didn't play on it often, so I'm not sure how it was. I do remember TK'ing a lot, so I guess you'd have to be more careful to not get automatically banned.

I remember playing NS with FF and I would tend to get temp banned after really long games because people kept getting in front of my grenade launcher. #Cussing out

Anyway, an FF server could be fun, but keep me away from it.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lt. Black

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game either gets too slow or too messy really quickly with friendly fire.

innocent
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love the idea in theory....adds a whole lot more challenge and teamwork to the game. BUt we all know how easy it can be abused.

I think the only way it would fly is if was policed regurlary by admins and the rules were really strict!
I.E.- SOME LLAMA switching teams to knife someone in the back of the head that he didn't like....banned for a month or permanently.
bullseye lespaul
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya im against it too, for 1 it can be hard to tell the lamas from the good guys, i would list all the reasons but LJ already did! he even spelled it all right and worded it better than i would have! gj LJ!
powdermilkman
Diplomat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to be the like the final say in this, but hey i can be hehe...anywho there will never be a friendly fire server here at the ville. As i believe strongly the ville community could handle one in a private server, i do not believe that the other group of people who come here for a few matches and then leaves could handle it. If you see the ville rules they are very very very easy to follow, but some how on any given day we get 2-5 complaints (that might not seem like many but the rules are just so darn easy we should be getting none and how many don't ever get filed ya know). Now add FF to the mix and multiply all those numbers. FF just seems to bring out the worse in people no matter what happens and what the punishment is for disobeying the FF rule.

Also as brought up the admins we have just can't police a server 24/7 which i think would be needed...so as of right now i just don't see FF comming to the ville...sorry

PMM
DJ George
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I personally like FF, I know it would not work in DoD. It works well on TV2 because NS is such a team based game that you always keep trak of your team mates, making the FF kills rare, but still adding a level of skill since you can not go into a room and start spaming nades every where. When you compare that to DoD, there is relatively little team work need, so people tend to to watch where their teammates are. I have seen many times where 1 person can change the corse of a game in DoD, but it is rare in NS, and if it does happen, it is usually not their skill with the gunm but their leadership skill that makes the difference
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gideon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a vote at the beginning of each map if we want FF on. That might be good. Just no punishments if you kill a team mate on accident.
Proverbs 20:30
Blows and wounds cleanse away evil, and beatings purge the inmost being.
sgt stutter
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heya Gideon, just noticed you registered. Welcome to the forums.

click--><eVa>SuperGreg

R.I.P Trigger Happy
Gideon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks stutter. Nice place this ville.org.
Proverbs 20:30
Blows and wounds cleanse away evil, and beatings purge the inmost being.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: