FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Dod Map Idea
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greebo
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Dod Map Idea Reply with quote

Well folks, with source almost withing touching distance, it's time for me to think about doing a dod map at long last.

My current thoughts is that I should do a map that plays similarly to the TFC map Avanti.
In such a map, one team is on the attack and the other is on defence, the attacking team takes objectives (either in order or out of order, haven't decided yet). Once an objective is taken it cannot be taken back. Once all objectives have been taken, the teams are reversed so that the team that was attacking now defends and visa versa.

I enjoy attacking maps, but I've always found that it can get incredibly boring for the defending team to have nothing to do but sit there and kill people - assuming the above map can be pulled off I would hope that this would help stop that.

I doubt such a map would work for clan matches but I have a preference for fun over major competition when it comes to making maps.

Anyhoo - what do people think?

In terms of how it'd be laid out, I haven't decided yet. If there were linear objectives then the map would obviously reflect that - I'd try to keep the combat....sectionised, for want of a better word, with the combat areas advancing with the objectives - but I'd wouldn't want teams limited to one approach to the objective either.
If it were more open then things might be slightly easier for an attacking team and difficult for a defending team to hold objectives but the map could be more open too.
Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorta like zalec? where you keep moving forward into different areas or more of a glider where you take points and the action moves... it jsut depends on where you ar epushing.
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well right now it could go either way - I think I'd prefer to make the more linear map as it has greater potential for varied objectives, as well as the bonus that it could be liking pushing through and clearing an objective town.
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a great map idea. Good luck pulling it off in Source.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cake
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greebo is one evil cat

(i'm in awe of anyone who can actually make a map. i have no constructive input other than to say: neat!)
Greebo
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevo wrote:
That sounds like a great map idea. Good luck pulling it off in Source.

Well I'm hoping that the various codes and suchlikes for source will be fairly similar to the original half-life and its mods - then I might be able to copy over some of the stuff from breakout, or at least adapt bits of it.
X.O.Skeleton

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds good if it has moor entrys than for the 1st in zalec
should go and get me that source to test it out

"No gut, no glory"
Kahlan Amnell
Queen of Spam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck! I have no patience for it, and just thinking about my last attempt, gahhhh, best of luck hun!

http://ctprofiles.net/799963
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SheWolf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my homeserver (DoC clan server) such maps are played. They are custom made by one of our guys. Here are some of them. Avanti, Dustbowl, Icebowl, Snowflake, Palermo etc. They basically have three capture areas. On the Dustbowl and Icebowl you do not have access to the second cap unless the first is completed.

Simpleman
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheWolf wrote:
On my homeserver (DoC clan server) such maps are played. They are custom made by one of our guys. Here are some of them. Avanti, Dustbowl, Icebowl, Snowflake, Palermo etc. They basically have three capture areas. On the Dustbowl and Icebowl you do not have access to the second cap unless the first is completed.

Hmmm those are all TFC maps And that reminds me it is TFC night tonight wOO7
Greebo
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheWolf wrote:

If you want another - cstone and myself did a map called "breakout" which was avanti style - 4 flags, attack/defend. Ain't the best in the world but it played pretty fast most of the time.
Greebo
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kahlan Amnell wrote:
Good luck! I have no patience for it, and just thinking about my last attempt, gahhhh, best of luck hun!

Don't give up so easily.

Best tip I can give is don't go in 'blind' - have a design on graph paper before you do anything else (assign, for example, 1 square = the dimensions of the person box, scale everything else accordingly). It never ever works if you go diving in without having a layout in mind. Obviously they can be changed as the map evolves but you need that basic structure to build on.
Greebo
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok further map thoughts (see what people think - not like I can do anything until the damn game is out).

The map, for the attackers, would run counter to how one would think - normally maps should get progressively harder the closer you get to the last objective, however my idea would be that it got progressively easier for the attackers and harder for the defense as the map proceeds.

The setting would be a village/town attack - the attackers would start in a field area outside of town - walls to hide behind, burnt out stuff, ditches etc etc - their first objective would be to get into the town to capture a cafe just inside the town limit (afterall, the commanding officers will need a good drink and something to eat after all that hard commanding).

The second section would be inside the town, trying to get ahold of a church tower that commands good views of the surrounding areas (i.e. sections 2 and 3)

Section 3 would be more in town fighting - going after the enemy's command post (random building til I think of something else).

The final section would be capturing the bridge that goes over the river that marks the other side of town - however the defenders would be on the run by then - so defending would be harder. The attackers would control high up sniper zones and have good cover. It wouldn't be impossible to defend, just hard.

I.e. this would represent a battle swinging from the defenders advantage to the attackers.

It wouldn't be *huge* map before anyone says anything, just big enough to allow for some variety in attacking zones etc.

I was also thinking the middle 2 sections would involve a bit (but not a huge amount) of in house fighting - narrow streets and suchlikes). Don't know if i could pull that off in a way that was fun to play though.

Thoughts?
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that would be an awesome map.

So it is more of a game for the defenders to win, unlike most maps where defenders just camp the whole round. I'm just wondering how you would prevent the last few points from being taking too quickly. Think

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Greebo
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I necessarily would - after all, as soon as the last objective is taken the defenders would become attackers again.

I'm not saying the last objective(s) would be dawdle - but in a battle if the defenders are on the run then it must be because the attackers have gained the upper hand. I just want to reflect that.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: