FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Firewall

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kahlan Amnell
Queen of Spam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Firewall Reply with quote

so, talking to one of my coworkers - a Geek! - he was saying how it is redundant to have Zone Alarm on my comp if I am connecting through Linksys's Wireless G router.... what are yall's thoughts on it? would you keep it on or just go ahead and uninstall?

also looking to get Trend Micro's antivirus and PcCillan dealy.... one from the tech bench, not from the floor.

http://ctprofiles.net/799963
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
rANCOR hUNTER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use firewalls and my computer works.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rANCOR hUNTER wrote:
I don't use firewalls and my computer works.

For now. *Hacks rANCOR's comp* #Scramble
Warhammer
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Firewall Reply with quote

Kahlan Amnell wrote:
he was saying how it is redundant to have Zone Alarm on my comp if I am connecting through Linksys's Wireless G router..
Ha ha, you had to talk to a geek!

He's right, if you are using a broadband router then the personal firewall will be shielded from the majority of the attacks on your PC. This is because the router translates all of your computers' Internet traffic so that it appears to originate from the router and not your PC. Since attacks directed at the router won't work (since they won't get passed to your PC), you are protected. This is a nice side effect of Hide Mode Network Address Translation (aka hide mode NAT).

Better make sure you have antivirus/antimalware software though! You can easily get infected emails or downloads that compromise your PC.
Kahlan Amnell
Queen of Spam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Firewall Reply with quote

Warhammer wrote:
Kahlan Amnell wrote:
he was saying how it is redundant to have Zone Alarm on my comp if I am connecting through Linksys's Wireless G router..
Ha ha, you had to talk to a geek!

heh... you don't understand just how slow my store is..... so boring.... I like working for a paycheck.... not having one handed to me every two weeks for standing there doing basically nothing figure I might as well try learning something while I am there...

and thank you just wanted confirmation

the NAT thing, do I want this box checked or unchecked... "Filter Internet NAT Redirection"

http://ctprofiles.net/799963
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: