FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Spys: Backstab and spy vs spy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JollyRoger

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a few spy questions to toss up that i couldn't find anywhere else. Possible i wasn't looking hard enough, but...

Regardless, what i wonder is about backstabbing. I know it's possible to get a one hit kill with the knife to the back. Yet often i can rarly get it down right. At the same time, there are some players, (Cycomom, Bada Bing, and a guy called Sharpened come to mind.) who can run at me, strafe, turn, and by the time i spin to point my flamer or chaingun at them, i'm a smear on the wall and floor.

Does where you hit matter? Is it actaully on the side? Does anyone know?

Also, on the subject of Spies. What in gods name is the best thing to do when you are fighting close combat with another spy?

Personally, I spaz out, shoot randomly, and toss all my grenades and hope i can do something. (Ask Cycomom, she commented on my lack of skill as a spy when i'm discovered. )

I see alot of pairs getting into knife fights, but it seems like those are rather... pointless. Other than looking cool, i guess.

There has to be an easier way to kill another spy when you are discovered. Do you pull out the Shotgun and just fight as though you were a medic? (Best example. Only class with the Supershotgun that i actuall play.) Do you go with the nail gun? Do you freak out, run backwards, shoot your tranq gun and chuck grenades? What's the deal? Any tips that are good against anything when you are discovered are helpful too.

I can usually play a decent spy, right up until it says, 'you've lost your disguise.' Then... well, thats just the end, if i can't feign somewhere where noone will see me. I was just curious what to do when that happens. (Or, a smart thing to do i should say.)

Thanks again all for reading.

-JollyRoger.
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try [here
It was lost in the General Ramblin section I moved it to John Does tips where it beloings.
If you guys want to add to this post try posting it to that one instead to keep it all together.
Hope it helps
Roof

[ This Message was edited by: ROOFCUTTER on 2002-01-19 09:57 ]
JollyRoger

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Roofcutter.

The ladies man,
JollyRoger.
CyCoMoM

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no secrets. I wish I did. The best thing to do is practice. You die a lot.. then alot more then you think you have the hang of it then suddenly you cannot kill soldier picking his nose.

I'm sure a lot depends on your latency or ping, because some days I can stab someone in the side and get a one stab kill. Ideally you should get them in the back of the neck.

It was a LOT of fun playing ALL night long, stabbing everyone in the back.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JollyRoger

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snip snip.

Quote:
The best thing to do is practice.

I've noticed. You have to have some tricks though. Maybe it's just your motherly sense of where to stab someone.

Quote:
You die a lot.. then alot more then you think you have the hang of it then suddenly you cannot kill soldier picking his nose.

Now, is this me in particular, or just in general? Regardless, that seems to happen to me, with just about every class... past HWguy. I'm starting to do fairly well as a HWguy whenever. Now if i could just learn to ignore everyone making fun of me playing a HWguy.

Quote:
I'm sure a lot depends on your latency or ping, because some days I can stab someone in the side and get a one stab kill. Ideally you should get them in the back of the neck.

I wouldn't be suprised. Mine is terrible. Even still, sometimes i can't get a sniper that has no clue that i'm there with a single strike. Often it takes 3-5. Yet somehow you and Sharpened walkup, do a fakeout, end up on thier side, and then they are gone. (Assuming i havn't sniped them by then. I always seem to Headshot the guys you're right behind. )

Quote:
It was a LOT of fun playing ALL night long, stabbing everyone in the back.

No kidding. )

-Jolly Roger.
Bada Bing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true it is more of a side shot than A bact stab.As far as spy vs.spy running backwards while shotgunning works well then if they get close have your last weapon key within easy reach and knife the SOB hehe

Are you threatening me ???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
OmegaSiN

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this post has helped me out heaps 2, thanx 4 all ur help!

-Omega SiN
Kjeldorian Royal Guard 42

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget about the spies that run right at you, stand five feet away, stab in your general direction and kill you in one blow. I see this ALL the time. This is what tells me, cheating does make it under the radar sometimes. You can aspire to be like Mom, Bada, or any regulars here. But you will never be like the five feet away one stab kings without hacking!

=US-V= Member/Event Coordinator - Retired
<eVa> Founding Father/Leadership/Webmaster - Retired
Ville Admin - Retired
JollyRoger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, so you too have been victim to the frontstab. I can't say that is cheating... at least not always, because i did it once.

Some soldier was running at me, i charged up, hit fire a short distance away, and he splattered. (And yes, i checked for my name up in the corner to make sure it was me.) So... I just think it is a result of the stabber's or the stabbee's bad lag.

Though i could be wrong. There are people that sure as hell make it seem like they are just cheating... but, hey. Ain't got proof, can't call them on it.

The ladies man,
JollyRoger.
Twisted29

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRG, i don't know if you're talking about me...but thats exactly want I try to do. I don't know why you can be so far away and stab people sometimes, but the further you are away the more effect your stab has. I used to chalk it up the the whole latency issue, but i'm starting to think it's just a special ability of the spy class in general. If you do it just right, your knife make no sound, the enemy goes down in one hit, and his death makes no sounds. I've even had it happen where my knife doens't even appear to move on my screen, the enemy simply vanishes and I get a kill. However, that doesn't happen much and it kinda freaks me out when it does.

But to make a long story short, I really hope you don't think I'm cheating. I swaer on my TVBness i'm not!
SpeCies

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I am not alone in crazy stuff like the 5ft stab Latency could be the reason I guess but its happening way tomuch. I mean I could be attacking the enemy fine, no lag, nothing altering my performance and right in front of me I see a spy appear???? He/She is not close enough to me to stab me and yet a strafe to the side and one lunge forward and I am dead...

I figured that shit happens like medic infections out of the blue when there appears to be nobody around? Just some medic who has not grown a sack and enjoys toying with people infecting and then swimming away. But hey, its their job
{BGS}GLOOMIE357

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal on a spy vs. spy scenerio, i like to fight knife vs. knife. It's almost like a crowbar fight. Or sometimes i just prime a nade and see what happens. I agree with practicing! I never knew how to use a spy until I took alot of death and began realizing when to stab or where to stab. I find stabbing people in the back is an instant kill. Try it out and see what happens.
Chen Kenichi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have been victim to the long stab and medpack infection. However, I've also been accused of doing it. Someone said, "Chen, how are you knifing me from so far away?" This didn't make any sense at first because on my screen I was right next to him. So it in some cases it might not be a cheat. I have also "backstabbed" people when standing in front of them. It usually happens when I jump and slash at the head. I don't know how it works but I think it's pretty funny when it happens. When in a spy vs. spy battle my best weapon is primed gernades. The only problem is I'm usually out of nades. I will try to knife them at first but then I'll pull out my shotgun if the fight isn't going anywhere.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twisted I wasn't talking about you. I hardly ever have lag. If I do, it's server lag, not on my end. My ping is almost always in the 60 to 100 range. I have been infected by invisible medics, I have been stabbed by spies that were so far away, I could'nt spit on them! Maybe there is some sort of special spy ability or maybe it's just a glitch. I would never accuse someone of cheating unless I had undeniable proof.

There are those, and you know who you are, that kill all the time, everytime in one stab. Whether it is a stab in the back, chest, or foot, whether you are right there or a mile away! That sends up a red flag for me. I have only seen two spies that do this everytime.

If someone is unbeatable, nine times out of ten, they are cheating or have mad scripts and binds to make they're playing "easier" than yours. Occasionally there will be a stright up person who you just can't beat. They are masters. I have yet to come across one.

Honorable in battle and generous in death.
-Motto of the Kjeldorian Royal Guard

[ This Message was edited by: Kjeldorian Royal Guard on 2002-01-30 14:37 ]
FragFailure

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The intsa kill depends a lot on ping. It can be difficult to kill people with a bad ping as well. I also prefer to avoid knife fights. I'd rather use a grenade and shotgun personally.

- PWG member 2001
- TVB founder and leader 2001-2004
- The Ville's Vegas Bashes I-V
- T.V.L. (Ville TFC League)
- The Originator of the Off-Topic Posts
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: