FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Random DoD Movie

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: The Random DoD Movie Reply with quote

Today I finally finished that movie I've been talking about. The name pretty well describes the movie. It has a lot of melee and stuff. It's the first DoD video I've ever tried to make so it might not be the best one you have ever seen...

I made a full-sized and a smaller one for slower connections.
Download The_Random_DoD_Movie.zip (137 MB)
Download The_Random_DoD_Movie_Small.zip (63.5 MB)

You need the DivX codec to view this. Go to www.divx.com to download it.

Enjoy and tell me what you think.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Easy Target

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice Stevo...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice movie! Would have been better if I were in it more, or even being killed by your shovel/knife. Think it shows me killing a person by kar98 or something. Anywho, nice work.
Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice stevo.

you actually killed me 4 times... heh but jsut not my normal name all 4 times. may have been one that tried to butt back. lol. may have been the one you showed again in slow motion... but i'm not gonna say for certain.
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the stats, that was you.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevo wrote:
According to the stats, that was you.

shhhhh its a secret...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Great Job Reply with quote

Great editing Steveo! But,the part that shows that you knifed me more then once has got to go!! I mean every one knows I would not let that happen. Must have been Some kind of evil mind control on your part.

Just kidding great knifing anyway just goes to show anyone can be knifed by you at anytime.
rANCOR hUNTER

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol that was cool. When was friendly fire ever on? It looked lke you killed Rep onyour own team.
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rANCOR hUNTER wrote:
Lol that was cool. When was friendly fire ever on? It looked lke you killed Rep onyour own team.

i tihnk he did. and it may have been on one of the whackem nights.
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replica wrote:
rANCOR hUNTER wrote:

i tihnk he did. and it may have been on one of the whackem nights.

No, that was just a glitch in the demo playback...

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
BENDER

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol stevo just used his hax to make it look like he tked rep
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Stevo

I even got a kill in that clip! whoot.

Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone is interested, I'll tell you how I made this since I just got done explaining it in a PM...

Well there are several ways to do it. I'll explain how I did it.

Before you start, there are some things you should do to prepare. First, make sure you have a lot of extra hard drive space. The movie I made took up about 30GB for a while. You might also want to install the programs you are going to use. I used VideoMach and Adobe Premiere Pro to make my movie. You can get VideoMach at http://gromada.com/download.html and Premiere at http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/.

Also, it is helpful to create a file called movie.cfg in your dod folder with this in it:
Code:
echo "Movie Config Loaded"
hud_saytext 0
voice_enable 0
net_graph 0
bind "F1" "startmovie movieA 30"
bind "F2" "startmovie movieB 30"
bind "F3" "startmovie movieA 30"
bind "F4" "startmovie movieC 30"
bind "F5" "startmovie movieD 30"
bind "F6" "startmovie movieE 30"
bind "F7" "startmovie movieF 30"
bind "F8" "startmovie movieG 30"
bind "F9" "startmovie movieH 30"
bind "F10" "startmovie movieI 30"
bind "F11" "startmovie movieJ 30"
bind "F12" "endmovie"

That will let you record your movie easier and will get rid of extra stuff you don't want in your movie.

First, I record a demo. To do this, I type record name into the console to start recording. When I finish what I want to record, I type stop.

Once I have a demo, I get ready to record the clips I want. First you have to prepare DoD for the best movie recording. First, change the screen resolution in DoD to 800x600. After that, you want to load the movie.cfg if you made it. Do this by typing exec movie.cfg in the console.

Next, I play the demo back. The best way to do this is to use the viewdemo command. This will give you options like fast forward and rewind. There are a lot of glitches in demo playback, so if you don't do it right, DoD will crash. I start by typing viewdemo to open the demo player. Then recall the name you gave the demo and type viewdemo name. Make sure to let the demo load completely before playing it. It is best to pause it while it loads.

If you see something in the demo that you want in your movie, rewind it to a point just before the event you want to record. If you used the movie.cfg, play the demo at normal speed and press F1 to start recording. When you want to stop recording, press F12. The demo may get choppy while you do this, but it will be fine in the movie. What this does is it takes 30 screenshots per second and saves them as bmp files in the DoD folder. For the next scene you want to record, use the F2 key. For each scene, use a different F key or they will override each other. When you run out of F keys, Alt+Tab out of DoD and move the movie files in the dod folder to another folder.

If you don't want to use the movie.cfg, type startmovie name 30 and then type endmovie to stop. Make sure you use a different name for each scene.

So now you should have a ton of bmp files. Each image is a frame for your video. Now, you want to take all these files and load them into VideoMach. To do this, open VideoMach and click the folder button on the left side. Highlight all of the files in a scene and click open. This will add them to the list. Now you have two options, use VideoMach to make your final movie, or use a more advanced video editing program. I used Adobe Premiere Pro for this and some other people use Sony Vegas Video or Windows Movie Maker.

To use just VideoMach, load all of your scenes into it as well as any audio files or video effects. Then save it as a compressed AVI. The best compression method seems to be divx. To save it, click the button with the floppy disk on it and you will get a lot of options. Under the Files tab, select "Video and audio - same file" and set Format to AVI. Above that, you can choose a name and location to save it to. Under the Video tab, click Codec Settings near the bottom and choose DivX from the list. Under the Audio tab, click the Codec Settings tab and choose MPEG Layer-3. Then click Save.

If you want to use another program for editing like I did, then follow this. I found the best way to do this is to convert each seperate scene into AVI files. So load the files from a scene into VideoMach and go to save. In the Files tab, choose AVI for Format and give it any name. Under the Video tab, click on Codec Settings and choose "Full Frames, uncompressed" from the list. Then load a new project from the Project menu and repeat this process with each scene. Once you have compiled each scene into AVI files, you can delete all of the bmp files to save room. You can then load each scene into Premiere (or whatever you want to use) and edit it however you want.

If you have any more questions, just ask and I'll try to help you. I hope this was helpful.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: