FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Electronic Arts And Valve

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mad-Hammer
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Electronic Arts And Valve Reply with quote

Thought you might find this interesting.......

Electronic Arts Bolsters PC Game Lineup

By Troy Wolverton
TheStreet.com Staff Reporter
7/18/2005 2:55 PM EDT

The PC game lineup at Electronic Arts (ERTS:Nasdaq - commentary - research) is getting some new life.

The video-game giant has signed a distribution and publishing deal with Valve, the privately held developer behind Half-Life 2, one of the top-selling PC games of last year. As part of the multiyear deal, EA will distribute special PC editions of Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike: Source, both of which will be released in September, said EA spokeswoman Tammy Schachter. EA will also publish and distribute Half-Life 2 for the Xbox, which has an October release date.

Additionally, the agreement includes the rights to publish or distribute future games within the two franchises, Schachter said. Schachter declined to give financial details of the deal or its specific duration.

The deal covers the retail versions of the two game franchises, she said. Valve-owned Steam will continue to distribute the games online.

A Valve representative did not return a call seeking comment.

The deal follows the dissolution of Valve's partnership with Vivendi Universal (V:NYSE - commentary - research). As part of a lawsuit settlement earlier this year, Vivendi agreed to stop distributing Valve's games, including Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike, as of August 31.

The special edition version of Half-Life 2, titled Game of the Year, will include Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life 2: Deathmatch and Half-Life: Source. The Counter-Strike: Source package will include that game plus Half-Life 2: Deathmatch and Day of Defeat: Source

When The Only Tool You Have Is A Hammer, Everything Else Looks Like A Nail....
crackhead_fred

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really like EA games that much. But I love the Madden football games. also NCAA '06 is great. OSU are some animals in that game. But as of HL2 I think this should be interesting knowing the outcome of battlefield1942. I don't have HL2 yet, so lets hope nothing changes.
Mad-Hammer
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not crazy about this partnership but well, what do I know. Most interesting thing about the whole article is that DoD Source will be released with the new versions in September.

rANCOR hUNTER

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic Arts And Valve Reply with quote

Mad-Hammer wrote:
The Counter-Strike: Source package will include that game plus Half-Life 2: Deathmatch and Day of Defeat: Source

That's a great bundle. Thumbs up there

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: EA Reply with quote

EA is the walmart of video games. They are out to control the publishing world of video games! I despise EA!!! They buy all these good developers and then close then down..... take a look for your self:
http://comms.planetsidesyndicate.com/showthread.php?p=23192

#Fist #Fist #Fist #Fist #alien #alien #Fist #alien #alien #alien #alien these are for you EA

Sorry, now that I have vented, that is an interesting article!
Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cant seem to find the link, but i red something a few days ago about the working conditons EA forces on developers. atleast they're not publishing for valve.
Mad-Hammer
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:

i cant seem to find the link, but i red something a few days ago about the working conditons EA forces on developers. atleast they're not publishing for valve.

Fall 2004 a wife of one EA's employees filed suit against EA for several labor violations. 80 hour work weeks, no overtime, and failure to pay bonuses.

The NLRB stepped in and found many, many violations and even more disgruntled employees. EA promised to make things right with the employees then subsequently shut down production facilities and moved them overseas.

I know I'm probably one of the first to grumble about a game being late but, I'm pretty sure I would feel guilty knowing that somebody had to work 80 plus hours a week for the last two months without benefit of overtime or a break just to give me my game on time.

Give Valve credit. They hooked up with a publisher who knows how to crank out games no matter how many employees drop from exhaustion.

Clay Pigeon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EA is the great satan of games. How many wonderful franchises have they DESTROYED? For starters: C&C is horrible now. Wing Commander is Dead. Don't even get me started on Ultima...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: