FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Doug Lombardi Interview

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rANCOR hUNTER

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Doug Lombardi Interview Reply with quote

Transcript of Interview with Doug Lombardi, Interviewed by Halflife_84

Halflife_84 : Will the new HDR allow us to have complete Night/Day cycles in a game?

Doug Lombardi : uhm, technically yes, uhm we haven't implemented such a feature in one of the games yet, but it definitely allows things to move.
You probably saw in the video we released of lost coast we sort of pulled the sky down to a night thing. So technically it's there, yea.

Halflife_84 : Day Of Defeat Source, any new information for us? Release date etc?

Doug Lombardi : Release dates going to be in the summer, couple weeks after E3 we will probably start releasing more new assets, we've been kinda
quite because we have a few surprises or what-not up our sleeves. Uhh, we decided to take the project a little bit further than we originally
announced so we will be showing some of the fruits of that pretty soon and we are still on track for the summer.

Halflife_84 : Will there be bot support in Day Of Defeat Source?

Doug Lombardi : umm, probably not in the first release.

Halflife_84 : Team fortress 2, any new info for us? Release Date? Media?

Doug Lombardi : Nothing new of TF 2 today.

Halflife_84 : Damn.

Halflife_84 : Why did you decided to make a expansion to Half-Life 2 as opposed to work on Half-Life 3?

Doug Lombardi : Well the team was working on Half-Life 2 for many years, and there was a great collection of ideas that just sort of had to be
held for something later. In other words there were so many great ideas for Half-life 2 at some point you have to say "these are the ones we are
going with for the game". Then you know there are a lot of other great ideas that are there and with a expansion we can deploy them quickly as
opposed to say ok lets go off and start the next giant adventure. I think it's also more rewarding for the team to be able to ship stuff more
frequently instead of saying ok now your back on the next 5 year project.

Halflife_84 : Will the new Half-Life 2 Aftermath be available through steam only or will it be available at retail purchase?

Doug Lombardi : It will definitely be available through steam, and will most likely appear at retail as well in one or more boxes.

Halflife_84 : Will the Lost Coast have any other features other than the HDR? Weapons etc...?

Doug Lombardi : Well lost coast was really about technology and having the art push that technology, so all of the assets in lost coast are, you
know, higher resolution or specifically created to support HDR. There will be a huge update to the SDK when lost coast is available to not only add that
technology but allow those assets to be used. From an Art standpoint to the SDK and a technology standpoint to the SDK lost coast represents a pretty major
update there to allow full source engine licensing as well as mod developers to sort of push themselves to another level and allow HDR to be a toggleable
object in the graphics menu.

Halflife_84 : Release Date for Half-Life 2 Xbox? and Lost Coast?

Doug Lombardi : September for Half-life 2 Xhox. Lost Coast will be sooner, first half of the summer.

Halflife_84 : What are the system requirements for the new lost coast level?

Doug Lombardi: Lost Coast level is going to be at least a 2 Ghz processor, at least a Gig of RAM, and the absolute latest video card from Nvidia
or ATI.

Halflife_84 : I already asked Jess (cliffe) this question but I'll ask you as well, VIP maps are they going to be remade into CS Source?

Doug Lombardi : You know, Jess probably had a better answer for ya I don't know. I know there has been some experiments run to bring back the VIP
Gameplay Style beyond that I'd have to refer to Jess.

**Jess had told me they may do it, but they would have to have a meeting about it and discuss how to make it happen.**

Halflife_84 : Aftermath, will it have the new HDR tech?

Doug Lombardi : Yes, both aftermath and day of defeat source, and all of our pc releases from now on will have HDR as a option or set of options
in the graphics menu.

Halflife_84 : Will you ever support 64 bit processors?

Doug Lombardi : Perhaps

Halflife_84 : Half-Life 2 Xbox, is there a option to disable auto-aim?

Doug Lombardi : I believe so, yes.

Halflife_84 : Any next-gen games for you guys? Xbox 360 or PS3?

Doug Lombardi : no next gen consoles to announce yet, but we are definitely interested in moving the source engine or gameplay to the next
generation consoles.

Halflife_84 : Are there any other old expansions or games that will be made into source remakes? Blueshift, Opposing Force?

Doug Lombardi : Perhaps.

Halflife_84 : Who's your new Publisher?

Doug Lombardi : Don't have anyone to announce yet, but we will be making plans to continue our retail distribution past the Aug 31 date when the V
U distribution ends.

Halflife_84 : Thats about it I guess, I'll have the thank you for your wonderful time, and I'll probably see you again as I'm here all week.

Doug Lombardi : yea, all right man.

Audio and Video can be found here: http://www.fileplanet.com/153831/150000/fileinfo/Half-Life-2---PlanetHalflife.com-E3-2005-Interview

Last edited by rANCOR hUNTER on Fri May 27, 2005 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
JtH

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is HDR and lost coast?

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching that vid yesterday, i hope we get tf2 info soon, they said spring. HDR is a realistic lighting system that valve is adding to source, it adds bloom effects from the sun and other stuff. lost coast is a level of of highway 17/coast area that valve is making extremely graphically intense and will only be available to high-end comps, i hope my comp makes it.
rANCOR hUNTER

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something with dynamic lighting. Yea says 2 GHz at least. I hope my 2.2 can pull it

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, i think he said 3.2 ghz and the 3 got cut off because valve has stated many times before that it would be that. it would aslo be stupid to make the processor speed req. low and have such a high vid card requirement especially that hl2 is so processor dependant.
rANCOR hUNTER

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My AMD Athlon XP 3200+ is 2.2 GHz, is that more powerful than a P4 2.2 GHz?

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rANCOR hUNTER wrote:
My AMD Athlon XP 3200+ is 2.2 GHz, is that more powerful than a P4 2.2 GHz?
ya, i think a whatever+ means its equivilent in mhz, so yours would be equivilent to a 3.2ghz p4 if i remember correctly.
rANCOR hUNTER

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay I hope so.
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is Doug Lombardi?

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rANCOR hUNTER

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's the president of vALVE I do believe.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if the 3200+ part about it being equal to a 3.2 GHz processor is correct, but I can tell you this: Your AMD 64 3200+ will be MORE than enough, and is definately enough to be better than an Intel P4 2.4 GHz.

You will be safe with that processor.

-KK
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevo wrote:
Who is Doug Lombardi?

Stevo made a funny.

click--><eVa>SuperGreg

R.I.P Trigger Happy
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: